Hydraulic Ramps!

Basic needs related to restoring a 6er including
Electronics, Bodywork, Welding, Painting, Engine Swap, etc
Boggie

Hydraulic Ramps!

Post by Boggie »

I just bought a set of THESE!

Very well made and extremely robust (and damn heavy!). The box was on a pallet and listed as 100KG when it arrived so it needed a small fork lift to get it from the road to the workshop door. The ramps come as a kit, which I was thankful for as they each one weighs nearly as much as my wife, so taking the components one by one and assembling it in situ within the workshop was preferable to attempting to carry them in fully assembled!

The build is easy, each ramp has to be fitted with it's folding guard rail (2 bolts), carrying (!) handle (2 bolts), removable lead-on ramp (pivot bar) and hooked up to the hydraulic foot pump. They are very low profile when lowered, around 4" high, so driving the car on is no problem even for cars with deep spoilers. As long as you can clear an average UK speed hump you can get on these. They also fold up for storage and can be tucked away agains the garage wall, only taking up a small amount of space.

Once the car is on the platform and against the front guard, you remove the lead-on ramp and replace it with a slide in rear guard so now the car cannot roll off either end. Pumping the lever to raise the ramps is easy but there are a lot of pumps until you hit the top. However, there are 4 different lock off heights so you don't need to go all the way. The lock-off is achieved by inserting a metal bar, after which you can lower the ramp to sit on the bar and remove the finger screws so the pump and pipes can be moved out of the way.

With a lift height of 430mm (under the wheels) the boot floor is now roughly a meter above the workshop floor! I can actually sit under the rear of the car whilst working! As these are a scissor lift there is no significant forward / backward movement when raising the car (unlike trolley jacks) so it is possible to have the front on axel stands whilst lifting / lowering so I bought a set of THESE whilst I was at it. Of course another set of the hydraulic ramps would be best but I need to get saving...
Last edited by Boggie on Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1985 M635CSI
Classic Car and Bike Collector & Restorer.
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Hydraulic Ramps!

Post by GRNSHRK »

Dang, those are sweet :shock:

Wonder if they are available in the states :-k

Also wonder why they are so heavy, didn't notice in the linky but did they happen to list the weight [-o<
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
Boggie

Post by Boggie »

I guess they weigh so much because they are so chunky; this is seriously big, pickup truck-lifting stuff!
I bought the bigger size because I restore all sorts of classics and who knows what will catch my eye next... These ramps can effectively lift a whole E24 on their own, I am definately going to get another set when I can afford it. However, there is a 2000Lb set HERE and the company do have a number of other OPTIONS but ideally, I would like something like THIS.

I have to say that some of the stuff they have just looks a little SCARY to me... Whilst I am sure they are safe (UK safety laws are very strict) would you want to be working under this:

Image :shock: !?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Oh, and YES, they do SHIP overseas.
1985 M635CSI
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

Be very careful in any references to the wife. 'nough said.
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
Boggie

Post by Boggie »

I was! 45KG = 99Lbs which is pretty good for a 5' 7" athletic blonde (my wife, however, is a brunette midget... think Mini-Me <RIP> in a long brown wig)
1985 M635CSI
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: @ the wife remark. :-({|=
1982 BMW 628CSi
mirdif64

Post by mirdif64 »

Boggie,
Are these quite easy to move about and store when not in use ?
Was looking at various scissor lift/2 or 4 post lift for the garage but don't really have the space (or height) to utilise them.
4 off these ramps and axle stands might be a better option.
Regards,

Steve.
Boggie

Post by Boggie »

Hi Steve,

Yes. They are quite heavy but I can easily lift them (singularly). The hydraulic pipes are simple to remove (no tools required) and the ramps collapse down to 4" high so can slide under a bench / car or be leant flat against the workshop wall when not in use.

Ian
1985 M635CSI
mirdif64

Post by mirdif64 »

Thanks Ian.