Time to sell

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

spencerd72

Time to sell

Post by spencerd72 »

Sadly, I have come to the realisation that I should sell my 635. Some of you may remember that a few years ago I spent the summer and Autumn repairing the drivers side front wing. I just can't face going through this again, with no garage. The fact the other side needs doing, along with some other bits is knawing away at my conscience as I know I am unlikely to get round to doing it. Therefore, I thinks it's time to let someone else who has a garage and can get on with it throughout the year.

My car is a C Reg 85 5 speed Manual with LSD, black leather sports seats and real Alpina wheels. It's done 150K but runs great and gives 27 MPG on a run.

Body work wise, the two rear arches have been done using walloth & nesch repair pieces, although the welding on one side is messy and therefore the area needs 'finishing' (I just painted it thoroughly and vowed to learn how to weld for myself!)

I did the drivers side front wing myself (see my post Front wing - I'm going in) and this turned out well, although could do with more smoothing out in places. It was getting towards November and I didn't have time to perfect. It is all painted well though following the Phospheric acid pickle / acid etch primer / 2 pack mastic primer / top coat / lacquer system.

There are a couple of spots of rust on the roof which I gave the Phospheric / acid etch / mastic primer treatment and this seems to be holding up, but ultimately this will need repairing properly.

It's remarkably sound underneath with no apparent rust.

The interior is great - I love the leather seats! It's got a 6 CD changer. All the electrics work apart from the computer and the fan (which, like a cruel joke, only works reliably in the summer! ).

Does anyone have any idea on what kind of price I should ask? I was thinking of around £2.5 or 2.75K - is that too much? I base that on seeing some absolute basket cases going on ebay recently for around 2K. A basket case my car is not! It's MOT'd until November 2018.

I'll probably regret this in years when these cars are really rare and good ones go for 100, 000. But I have to face the fact that me holding on to it, unable to do the work that needs doing is not doing the car any good and someone else could get on with the work in a garage.

Cheers,
Dom. :(
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Time to sell

Post by olympia57 »

I can tell by the way you write it's a bitter pill to swallow Dominic .
An MOT'd five speed manual with LSD,sports interior plus genuine Alpina wheels ticks a lot of boxes ........even as a restoration project is worth considerably more than you mention.
In the absence of photos I'd be asking twice that figure to give me some room to haggle.
Take time and write a good accurate but positive ad, focusing on not what it is but what it could be after restoration.
Good luck
Don.
1981 635 series 1
randall977

Post by randall977 »

I agree - I've been watching every 6 on eBay since I paid £3k for my basket case at the end of last year. Nearly every project has gone for more than £3K, all auto. Though quite a good auto project went for £2900 this evening - not sure why as it had a load of great parts with it... Anyhow, I would happily have paid £4-5k for yours - too late now of course!
spencerd72

Post by spencerd72 »

Many thanks for your replies Don and Randall.

I'll give her a wash and take some pictures.

Cheers,
Dom.
spencerd72

Post by spencerd72 »

Alas, she's gone :(

I'm very sad to no longer own my 635, but I've finally had to admit that my circumstances aren't compatible with classic car ownership.

Thanks to all on here who have given me help and advice over the years, especially Brucie and Don.

For info, she sold in less than a day on Car and Classic. I took your advice regarding price and put her up for £4500. I got just under £4000.

Now I've got to decide which boring modern car, too reliant on electronics to buy. Is electronic malfunction the new rust? ](*,)
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

I hope in the fullness of time you'll be back .
Take care and good luck Dominic .
Don
1981 635 series 1
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

spencerd72 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 8:09 am Is electronic malfunction the new rust? ](*,)
I think that statement is more profound than you realize. It is quote-worthy.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"