1984 633CSi Rises again!

Document your Sixer project here.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

masonjones

Re: 1984 633CSi Rises again!

Post by masonjones »

Song, did you replace your heater fan motor? After replacing these transistors multiple times I suspect that the real culprit is the old fan motors which either stick or are slow to start up and pull too much current. I replaced the heater and AC fan transistors and they both failed within a year. I even added a larger heatsink. I then replaced the AC fan motor and have not had a problem going on 2 years.

You can also use this higher power transistor which may help too: 2n5302. It's rated at 30A and 200W. But seeing how many people on the forums have the replacement transistors go out again so quickly makes me think there's more to it. The motor was about $65 and well worth it.
1985 635CSi
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

I was going to suggest an additional heatsink, too. This one works at the original mounting position with a little modification.

Good to see you posting again, Song. I'd thought you were gone for good.
Attachments
heat sink.jpg
heat sink.jpg (20.85 KiB) Viewed 13021 times
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

masonjones wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 2:24 pm Song, did you replace your heater fan motor? After replacing these transistors multiple times I suspect that the real culprit is the old fan motors which either stick or are slow to start up and pull too much current. I replaced the heater and AC fan transistors and they both failed within a year. I even added a larger heatsink. I then replaced the AC fan motor and have not had a problem going on 2 years.

You can also use this higher power transistor which may help too: 2n5302. It's rated at 30A and 200W. But seeing how many people on the forums have the replacement transistors go out again so quickly makes me think there's more to it. The motor was about $65 and well worth it.
I only replaced the transistor. I had thought about the motor. Each time I do this, I check my motor to make sure it spins freely and sometimes I grease it up a bit. Given the cost, I can't see the harm in changing this out. I also like the idea of an upgraded transistor as well. Thanks for the specs as I just didn't know what to choose.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
Last 7 of VIN: 6997383
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

hornhospital wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 5:01 pm I was going to suggest an additional heatsink, too. This one works at the original mounting position with a little modification.

Good to see you posting again, Song. I'd thought you were gone for good.
I'm still here! I've been super busy at work and then jetted off for 2 weeks on a 25th anniversary trip in Europe. I just got back last week. So slowly, I am getting back into action.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
masonjones

Post by masonjones »

25 year anniversary trumps working on the car, congrats! :D

I bought the higher powered transistor but never had to put it in after I replaced the motor. I still have I believe an original spec 2N3055 on the AC fan and have run it a lot over the last 2 years without problem. I guess you could say the transistor is functioning as a fuse in a way and if it keeps frying there's something else wrong! :-k

$65 was just for the motor so if you decide to do that you'll need to reuse the old plastic fins. This was much easier on the heater fan as the plastic fins were much sturdier than on the AC fan. You can basically grab one end in each hand and twist them (carefully) until one side comes off. Then grip that shaft with vice grips and twist (carefully) the other plastic cage off.

I marked where they were on the old shaft and tried to line them up as closely as possible on the new motor shafts but it still took quite a bit of adjustment to get them to not rub on the surround. There's not much extra space in there!
1985 635CSi
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

hornhospital wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 5:01 pm I was going to suggest an additional heatsink, too. This one works at the original mounting position with a little modification.
Hey Ken,
What is the source and stock number of this heat sink?

Thanks!
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Grabbed the picture from eBay. Here's the listing:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3703037461

You have to saw a corner off to get it to fit the OEM heatsink/mount, but it definitely helps. I've always thought the original mount was a pretty poor heatsink.
Ken Kanne
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Wheel swap and other fun

Post by songzunhuang »

My front tires wear on the outside and my rear tires wear on the inside. So I decided to swap the front and rear tires today to even out the wear.
Tire swapping day.
Tire swapping day.
Wheelswap.png (986.42 KiB) Viewed 12931 times
In the process, I also noticed that my front outer tie rod on the passenger side has about 1/16" of play. Perhaps this was a result of my incident with the rockslide that took out my wheel? It was the front passenger side affected. I have a new wheel on there now. Anyhow this will be a nice opportunity to see if FCP's lifetime warranty applies.

OK, my car just topped 170K miles! I bought this car as. no-op with 142K on the odometer. It's getting near 3 years now and it has served me well as a daily driver. I still enjoy tinkering and learning on this car with the help of the folks on the forum. This car will be on the road for a whole lot longer.
I've put 30K miles on this old car/
I've put 30K miles on this old car/
170K.png (1 MiB) Viewed 12931 times
Later in July, I'll be finally getting my front spoiler (if Ralph makes the trip north) and then I'll upgrade the front sway bar (or at least put in poly bushings) and then think about paint. The roof is a mess and the front spoiler will need a coat. Anyhow, much fun. My convertible is getting lonely just sitting in the garage.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

Song,
I haven't done the poly bushings, but you might want to inquire about the effect on ride quality. Here in the Northeast, we don't have smooth roads.
--Ken
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Wrenching on the car this weekend

Post by songzunhuang »

My replacement part came in for my damaged tie rod. True to their word, FCP allowed me to return my loose toe rod and replaced it with a nice new Meyle. Only issue was the Meyle cost twice as much, but the warranty credited me the original part price. So I got an unintended upgrade I guess.

Once again, I was so happy to have the ball joint separation tool. It makes easy work of an otherwise annoying job.
So easy to separate with this tool. Highly recommended!
So easy to separate with this tool. Highly recommended!
BallJoint separator.png (1.17 MiB) Viewed 12789 times
Here's the old (top) and the new (bottom). As you can see, I have painted a guide so that I know which way to turn my tie rod to lengthen or shorten them. I don't know why, but I always gets confused and I find that taking the time to paint a guide is a huge time saver!
Old and new tie rods with a handy guide!
Old and new tie rods with a handy guide!
ieRods.png (1.18 MiB) Viewed 12789 times
Once I got the length correct, it was a pretty simple installation. Here's the whole thing in the car.
New tie rode installed in the front passenger side.
New tie rode installed in the front passenger side.
Installed.png (1.11 MiB) Viewed 12789 times
Finally, I also order a pair of new rubber bushings for my 19mm front anti-sway bar. Honestly, the old ones I took out didn't seem so bad. They were crusty at the edges, but the main part was not completely hardened. Oh well, I put them in any way. I purchased OEM bushing at the absurd price of $13.50 each! I mean, they are just rubber. Getting them in was a bit of a trick. I used some lithium grease to prevent any unwanted noises. I found that a large Visegrip is your friend in this exercise.
New bushing being installed for Front anti-sway bar.
New bushing being installed for Front anti-sway bar.
Bushing.png (1.07 MiB) Viewed 12789 times
After all this I was hoping that my groaning sound would be solved. You guessed it, nope. I couldn't figure out what was making the groaning sound. I kept spraying WD-40 into various moving areas trying to make it go away. No luck. It's a head scratcher. I was running out of time so I'll have to leave this for another day.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
Jono B good

Post by Jono B good »

WOW just read from first post to finish nicely written, pictures and informative and enjoyable as well. I hate to be a grave digger but what about your rough idle? I am fighting this as well, new vacuum lines, new NGK plugs and gapped at .032, rebuilt and cleaned the AFM(moved the 2 swipers to new substrate) and cleaned contacts with paper not eraser, new breather hose from BMW $35 last one available.... SCORE!, cleaned IACV, changed all fuses in fuse box, adjusted throttle cable(to take out any extra play), cleaned the whole throttle body 3 times now, new Mahle air filter, running 20-50 Castrol after recent oil change. Still rough idle here I am in the same BMW boat you're in bro. Keep up the great thread thanks very much Song. =D>
~Cirrusblau-Metallic~
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

Jono B good wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:40 am WOW just read from first post to finish nicely written, pictures and informative and enjoyable as well. I hate to be a grave digger but what about your rough idle? I am fighting this as well, new vacuum lines, new NGK plugs and gapped at .032, rebuilt and cleaned the AFM(moved the 2 swipers to new substrate) and cleaned contacts with paper not eraser, new breather hose from BMW $35 last one available.... SCORE!, cleaned IACV, changed all fuses in fuse box, adjusted throttle cable(to take out any extra play), cleaned the whole throttle body 3 times now, new Mahle air filter, running 20-50 Castrol after recent oil change. Still rough idle here I am in the same BMW boat you're in bro. Keep up the great thread thanks very much Song. =D>
Ah, thanks for the moral support. I am moving on to other things and will take the car to a local shop for them to track down the idle issue. It's lumpy but it hasn't died on me ... yet.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Massive Paint Fail

Post by songzunhuang »

Well, if you have been following along, you know I've mentioned multiple times that I need paintwork. So what am I talking about? Well, before I acquired the car about 3 years ago, the car had a repaint. It's one of those paint jobs that I would consider a 20 footer. It looks awesome at 20 feet, but much closer, you see defects. Still, I thought that this is a driver so it will be ok.

Fast forward and I started to see the paint separating on the roof. It was small at first, but then it started coming off in chunks. Then I started picking on it - first with my finger and then a pocketknife. I realized that whoever painted the car did NOT use any primer. It's true what they say. If you skip the primer, it's not going to stick. I give you exhibit "A".
My roof paint coming off in big chunks.
My roof paint coming off in big chunks.
IMG_9841.JPG (59.08 KiB) Viewed 12631 times
As you can see, under the big flakes of paint is the old paint! It's still on the roof, but just dull and with no clearcoat. Still I keep peeling it off because I know I don't have to worry about rust since the old paint is still protecting it.

I am going to be getting a replacement front air dam next week and then it'll be time to refinish the roof, sunroof and the front air dam.
The way I figure it, if I wait long enough all the paint will flake off itself and save a lot of time doing paint removal. LOL.
Now you know.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

just a couple of comments

- they don't appear to have keyed the old paint (eg using 800 grit paper) which may be part of the reason the new paint didn't stick

- if you have to use a lubricant on the ARB bushings, a silicone grease (which is inert) would be better; some lithium greases may degrade the rubber.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

Brucey wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:01 am just a couple of comments

- they don't appear to have keyed the old paint (eg using 800 grit paper) which may be part of the reason the new paint didn't stick

- if you have to use a lubricant on the ARB bushings, a silicone grease (which is inert) would be better; some lithium greases may degrade the rubber.

cheers
Thanks Brucey. It seems like such a simple step to ensure good paint adhesion. It's annoying that they cut the corner there. I guess it takes time and that adds cost. I am sure that it's just a matter of time before other parts of paint start to flake off. I take the attitude that it'll just give me more "patina" on the car and I'll continue to make it better as it appears.

Ugh, I didn't know about the Lithium grease effect on rubber. When it does go bad (maybe a few years?), I'll take the opportunity to upgrade to 22mm anti-sway bars with poly bushings. Maybe I won't even wait a few years as this is such an easy upgrade compared to other stuff.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Airdam andService Light

Post by songzunhuang »

So a few new things have appeared for my 6'er.
First is my long awaited Air Dam! This is from a 1985 M6 I believe. There are a few cracks that I need to repair and then I'll have to refinish it. As you can see, it's not a perfect match right now.
Given my current schedule, it may be a long time before I can piece this together.
M6 spoiler, gonna need a bit of a color change to match.
M6 spoiler, gonna need a bit of a color change to match.
Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 4.49.44 PM.png (1.64 MiB) Viewed 12484 times
A new development is the oil service light on my dashboard. I've never seen this light before in my 3 years of ownership. It appeared as I was commuting on the highway today. I think I know what it means, but the display is rather odd. Why is there just one yellow led lit up? Is this right?
Time for a fluid change, but why the one yellow light?
Time for a fluid change, but why the one yellow light?
ServiceLight.png (1.39 MiB) Viewed 12485 times
Question, does anyone know a good auto-paint dealer in northern California that I can purchase paint to spray at home?
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
Jono B good

Post by Jono B good »

Nice airdam! :D if your service indicator lights have never come on before, it could be leaky NI cad batteries. As the SI board used NI cad batteries, unless it truly is working, it seems kinda random after long term ownership they all of sudden work. You may want to pull the cluster and make sure the batteries are not leaking. :-k
~Cirrusblau-Metallic~
jps635
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jps635 »

Looks like your number plate has claimed a few road kills. If it's legal in Cal I would ditch it completely and replace with vinyl numbers on your new spoiler lip.
'85 635csi JPS (RA2-66)
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

Jono B good wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:03 am Nice airdam! :D if your service indicator lights have never come on before, it could be leaky NI cad batteries. As the SI board used NI cad batteries, unless it truly is working, it seems kinda random after long term ownership they all of sudden work. You may want to pull the cluster and make sure the batteries are not leaking. :-k
I replaced the SI board with a factory BMW unit (at great cost) in the first year of ownership. So I don't think it's a leaky Ni-Cad issue. It does seem so random to me, I never really quite understood how the colored LEDs were supposed to work. The mystery continues.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

jps635 wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:33 am Looks like your number plate has claimed a few road kills. If it's legal in Cal I would ditch it completely and replace with vinyl numbers on your new spoiler lip.
Yea, that plate has seen better days, but it's the ORIGINAL plate that came on the car when new. I kinda like that it's true to the history of the car.It was bent up even worse when I got it. I tried to straighten it a bit. A "bit" being the operative word here.
I haven't heard anything about the vinyl numbers. I'll have to look into that more.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The Reset Light - makes no sense

Post by songzunhuang »

So, today I thought I would reset the "Oil Service" light with one yellow LED. I read in the forum that I simply had to ground pin 7 for 3 seconds while the key is turned to position 2. Easy enough! I reset the light and now here's what I see.
A freshly set service light.
A freshly set service light.
GreenLight.png (1.61 MiB) Viewed 12430 times
Green makes sense, but why isn't the far left green light on? What's so special about that one?
One day I will understand.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
masonjones

Post by masonjones »

One day I'll rewire those service lights to the radio as a VU meter. Then I'll have to get a Mr. Microphone.
1985 635CSi
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Song, that air dam is from an '85 US 635, the M6 version, which was not an available model till '87, would have horizontal openings in the center for oil cooler access :-k
First is my long awaited Air Dam! This is from a 1985 M6 I believe
Nice find though :shock:

Ralph to the rescue, yet again =D>
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Front Spoiler and Paint - step 1

Post by songzunhuang »

This weekend I snuck some time away to begin to prepare the front spoiler. First order of business was to repair the 2 cracks in the spoiler. I used a 3M bumper epoxy. It was a kit I got off Amazon for $6.00. That was super cheap.
Repairing the spoiler before refinishing.
Repairing the spoiler before refinishing.
Spoiler.png (1.19 MiB) Viewed 12277 times

Next, I needed paint to match it up with my car. I went to a paint shop that was recommended by a very trusted body shop owner. I went to the shop and they used an interesting device to color match the paint. It all seemed very scientific and I hope it nails it. Trying to blend metallic paint is really hard if the paint isn't perfect. The picture of the paint mix formula for my car is in the picture below. Now, I was not prepared for the cost! Remember I purchase 1 pint of color paint. Of course I needed primer, clear and the activators for both.
I guess this is really good stuff. Dupont Cromax.
I guess this is really good stuff. Dupont Cromax.
Cromax.png (1.32 MiB) Viewed 12277 times

This paint is for the spoiler and the roof that's flaking off.
Another grim realization is that my air compressor is in no way up to the task to spray this paint. I'd hate to waste expensive paint with bad equipment. Now what?

Anyone have a large portable compressor I can borrow?
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

That's some nice work (which is typical for you!). =D>

The cost of that paint reminds me of years ago when I painted a trailer my boss tows behind his Honda Goldwing. It was a one-year-only color of very intense pearlescent yellow. The paint by itself, direct from Honda (no primer, no clear, no hardners, which was a couple hundred more) was $1600 a QUART. You talk about sweating bullets while spraying that stuff!!!
Ken Kanne