Exactly how much refrigerant?

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Exactly how much refrigerant?

Post by Masked Man »

Okay,

I looked here there and EVERY-blessed-WHERE but I can't find out how many oz of refrigerant it takes to fill my Euro system. (and no, it has no rear cooler) My mechanic says his M635 was 1400 grams which just over 42 oz, I think.

Keep the shiny side up

Phillip
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
Ireland stainless exhaust
Upper & lower control arms
New tie rod kit
EdwasRed

Re: Exactly how much refrigerant?

Post by EdwasRed »

2 questions:
1) Has your ac system been converted to r134 or are you running r12?
2) Not related but I noticed you have an Ireland Engineering exhaust. What has your experience been with it?
1985 635CSi M Euro M88
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Masked Man »

EdwasRed wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:48 pm 2 questions:
1) Has your ac system been converted to r134 or are you running r12?
2) Not related but I noticed you have an Ireland Engineering exhaust. What has your experience been with it?
EdwasRed,

My a/c sys is running r12 for the simple expedient that it passed 2 fifteen minute vacuum tests with ZERO leakage and this meant that instead of a roughly $350.00 rebuild of my existing compressor, we just partially filled the system. To your second question; I love the exhaust note, it's just the right combination of throaty and civilized. I can not speak for any other I.E. exhaust install but happily I wasn't doing it myself. Apparently the pipes were not in the correct positions where they join to the engine and it required my installer to use his shops' pipe bender to configure the I.E. pipes correctly. I can't imagine trying to do this yourself without professional pipe bending tools. Has anyone else installed an I.E. stainless system?

Keep the shiny side up

Phillip
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
New tie rod kit
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

Hope this helps. 1983 Euro 635CSi (Manual).
Attachments
CIMG6150.JPG
CIMG6150.JPG (195.08 KiB) Viewed 5068 times
Stoffie

Post by Stoffie »

I imagine there would be a difference between R12 and R134a setups and then also between the models with a single evaporator and the models with the extra 'fridge' in the back?

Would there be a difference between setups on for instance he M30Bxx, M88/3 and S38B35 given the same refrigerant and amount of evaporators?
The M88/3 was all about power, no cats. At idle the raw fuel from the exhaust will make your eyes water like an old V-8 powered muscle car's exhaust did.
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Masked Man »

Thanks Pod!

Stoffie, I don't know what differences (if any) there are and that's why I'm asking the brain trust. The only dumb question is the one you don't ask, yes? My original stickers are long gone, since I re-did the hood insulation and I never got replacements. I probably should see to that. Who had those by the way?

Keep the shiny side up

Phillip
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
New tie rod kit
Stoffie

Post by Stoffie »

Mine never had any stickers since I got the car, wondering the same for my M635CSi as I had to take out the condensor so pretty much at a loss as you are on how much to fill it with once it's all back together.
The M88/3 was all about power, no cats. At idle the raw fuel from the exhaust will make your eyes water like an old V-8 powered muscle car's exhaust did.
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Masked Man »

Stoffie wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:45 pm Mine never had any stickers since I got the car, wondering the same for my M635CSi as I had to take out the condensor so pretty much at a loss as you are on how much to fill it with once it's all back together.
Stoffie?

Doug Park, (the gentleman working on Grace) had an M635 and his was 1400grams, so I think you can use that figure. That's 47.333 liquid ozs.

Keep the shiny side up

Phillip
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
New tie rod kit