m635 Exhaust options and Supersprint install

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

raykoke

Re: m635 Exhaust options

Post by raykoke »

Mine took 6 months to arrive... 6 years ago....

It's a nice item.

Cheers,
'85 ///M635
brickwhite

Post by brickwhite »

Having the headers JETHOT coated...

Before

$355 (with shipping) dollars later.... Should be here next week....
- 12 535i
- 92 325ic
ericono

Post by ericono »

Are your new headers carbon steel or stainless?

How do the the rectangular pieces that bolt to the head look? Are they in line and flat? Did you try test fitting them already?

What coating are you getting?

Thanks,

Eric
'85 M635, '00 528iT, '98 Z3
brickwhite

Post by brickwhite »

Headers are Stainless. The flanges seemed pretty straight. I haven't test fit them yet.

https://www.jet-hot.com/colors/

0100-Classic Polish Silver (Only with Extreme 1300)

Not sure on how they did the coating with the flanges.

I'll post some pictures next week when they come in.
- 12 535i
- 92 325ic
brickwhite

Post by brickwhite »

My headers came back today from Jet-Hot coatings.

These are EBay from Germany Stainless Exhaust headers.

Look pretty good.. Looks like Chrome feels like powder-coat.

Better packaging than I sent...

Dent was there already...

Inside is coated too

- 12 535i
- 92 325ic
brickwhite

Post by brickwhite »

The Old Comes down...

And fix other stuff while there!

left Tranny mount if very squishy.

Steering box subframe mount it torn...

Last edited by brickwhite on Thu May 24, 2018 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- 12 535i
- 92 325ic
ericono

Post by ericono »

Good progress. It was certainly time for some new exhaust pieces. Looking forward to hearing how pulling the current header off goes. I got mine off, but had also dropped the front cross member due to planned work on the suspension, and it was still a bit of work getting them off. I had to remove the large heat shield protecting the A/C lines.

I like your TR4 in the background. I've had TR3s and 6s, but haven't gotten a 4 yet. Seems like it would be a good mix between the 2.

Keep up the good work!

Eric
cofred

Post by cofred »

Eagerly anticipating updates......
Heath
'85 M635
Sixracer1

Post by Sixracer1 »

Looking to do a new exhaust on my car this summer. How do you like the Super Sprint?
'85 M635CSi #64
‘08 535XiT 6sp
Sold '01 325XiT
(Formerly "Sixracer")
brickwhite

Post by brickwhite »

it looks nice, but don't have it installed yet, have to replace center bearing and clutch .. it will be a while.
- 12 535i
- 92 325ic
EdwasRed

Post by EdwasRed »

Just ordered rear muffler 18-12-1-309-004 for my Shark. Supposed to be here in a week...fingers crossed.
1985 635CSi M Euro M88
brickwhite

Post by brickwhite »

More removal...

Exhaust manifold....(not original euro manifold)

Start with the 24 9mm nuts 4 nuts per exhaust port.

Drop the sway bar and front reinforcement bar.

Pull out the manifolds.

out!

Nice weld job!

- 12 535i
- 92 325ic
GazM3

Post by GazM3 »

Those old headers look fantastic. Can’t understand why you are replacing them lol
BMW’s
84 E24 M635csi
90 E34 M5 3.6
94 E34 540i/6 SC E85
97 E36 M3 euro SC U/C
97 Z3 2.8 widebody

OTHERS
11 Audi S5 3.0 SC
19 VW Amarok V6
DRPM635CSi

Post by DRPM635CSi »

For those in RHD-land:

More
Jono B good

Post by Jono B good »

brickwhite wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 7:51 pm My headers came back today from Jet-Hot coatings.

These are EBay from Germany Stainless Exhaust headers.

Look pretty good.. Looks like Chrome feels like powder-coat.

Better packaging than I sent...

Dent was there already...

Inside is coated too

Beautiful, any updates?
~Cirrusblau-Metallic~
DRPM635CSi

Post by DRPM635CSi »

Looks awesome like something out of a Terminator movie. Not for me, but it's certainly going to make the engine bay 'pop' when you open the bonnet. Shame about the dent, I guess that's a risk you have to take buying from somewhere where it has to be posted. I'd have cut the join tags between the flanges myself before the jet coating, but again that's just personal preference.

Mine too had joined flanges and incomplete welds when I got mine. I corrected all that before getting them coated. The pipes were fine, but the flanges were total ghetto like an afterthought they just didn't care about. They looked like the fabricator just lost all interest in the job after the pipes were done and he flung them at the apprentice to do the flanges with some scrap plate they found in the dumpster outside. Here's what they looked like when I got them:
ericono

Post by ericono »

DO you have any after pics that show what you did to them before and/or after sending to get coated? Did yours come from Germany as well?

Eric
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

DRPM. What was the source for those headers ? Will they clear engine mount/control arm mount/steering box for RHD ?
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Something I find interesting is that on the euro 635s at least the E12 based cars, the exhaust does not exit in center of the car but angles out to the left. This is evidenced by the cut out in the rear pan being off center to the left, Is this not so on the later euro cars? I ask this as all the rear muffler pictures I see posted for any cars have the exhaust exiting dead center. When i bought my car it had a Billy Boat system, and the muffler was built with the pipes correctly fitted to exit left and fit perfectly. Possibly the previous owner brought the original system in and had it matched to size as BB is a local manufacturer
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

baders wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:14 am DRPM. What was the source for those headers ? Will they clear engine mount/control arm mount/steering box for RHD ?
they look like fritz's manifolds to me,

http://www.fritzsbits.co.uk/exhausts-manifolds

so yes they are designed to clear the RHD steering box arrangement.
DPRM635CSi wrote:...Mine too had joined flanges and incomplete welds when I got mine. I corrected all that....
Cutting the flanges to separate them isn't a bad idea. However whilst it doesn't seem to be a problem, if you want to relieve the thermal stresses on the flange (which expands at a different rate to the head) then all that is required is cutting a couple of slots between each exhaust port, to leave a 'Z' shaped connection. [If you are worried about looks then you are wasting your time; the water rail on an M88 and the block slant see to that].

However 'welding them all the way round' is of highly questionable benefit; the reason they are not 'welded all the way round' is almost certainly that the exhaust is more likely to fail if you do this. Such failures are not uncommon in cheapo e-bay manifolds;

In the fritz's system The pipes are welded all the way round to make a seal near the head face, and the two welds on the outside are positioned so that they are unlikely to suffer thermal fatigue. This method of construction has been established over many decades of racing experience; AIUI Fritz's use a subcontractor (who makes road and race systems for all kinds of cars) to make their exhaust systems; the design and method of manufacture are very well proven.

In case you are in any doubt about the standards of craftsmanship concerned, just look at the finish inside the fritz's system near the exhaust ports and compare it with Brickwhite's pictures above. The former is smooth and offers no obstruction to the gas path and the latter is, well, er, 'not like that'. Nor are many (most?) systems that are 'welded all the way round'.

Given the choice between pretty flanges and a good gas flow path I know which I'd rather have....

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DRPM635CSi

Post by DRPM635CSi »

baders wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:14 am DRPM. What was the source for those headers ? Will they clear engine mount/control arm mount/steering box for RHD ?
They're the Fritz's Bits headers from UK. Yes, they are designed to clear the steering box and engine mount in RHD. You give up equal length primaries for that though. That's the compromise you must make if you're RHD. Equal length primaries is a lot less important in fuel injected engines though, so the power loss would be negligible and probably completely unnoticeable in all but the very extremes of performance just before the rev-limiter cuts in.
DRPM635CSi

Post by DRPM635CSi »

Brucey wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:03 am Cutting the flanges to separate them isn't a bad idea. However whilst it doesn't seem to be a problem, if you want to relieve the thermal stresses on the flange (which expands at a different rate to the head) then all that is required is cutting a couple of slots between each exhaust port, to leave a 'Z' shaped connection. [If you are worried about looks then you are wasting your time; the water rail on an M88 and the block slant see to that].

However 'welding them all the way round' is of highly questionable benefit; the reason they are not 'welded all the way round' is almost certainly that the exhaust is more likely to fail if you do this.
I welded them all round to match the way the M30B34 headers also by Fritz's Bits were supplied. I couldn't find a justifiable technical reason for why the M88/3 headers were so backyard looking compared to the comparatively professional finished looking M30B34 headers with their removable leg-out-of-bed cylinder #1 primary that goes under the engine mount. The M30B34 headers have suffered no ill-effects whatsoever from having separate flanges and being having the tubes welded all the way round to the flanges, so I anticipate no issues either by doing the same thing to the M88/3 set.

There was no flex at all from the flanges when they were cut to separate them. Everything remained in perfect alignment. Despite the engine cant and the water pipe being there, I am having mine fitted without replacing the steel heat shield. I don't think the steel heatshield will clear the Fritz headers anyway, so it can't go back on regardless. The ceramic coating is there to replace the heat soak problems that can be expected when the factory heat shield is discarded.
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

FWIW I bought a set of Fritz's headers (in fact a full system) for my M30 about fifteen years ago and the flanges were welded as per the M88 set you have just bought. I guess since I bought mine they have started to make the M30 headers differently (i.e. 'welded all round') but they have continued to make the M88 headers in the same way as they used to make the others too.

It might be something as simple as which subcontractor they use to make the headers in question, but there are other possibilities, e.g. that they think they can get away with the (cheaper* and less good IMHO) 'welded all round' approach on the M30 engines but for (tuned especially) M88 engines it won't work so well. As I said before I have seen plenty of the 'welded all round' types which have cracked; the thermal stresses around that joint are about as horrible as you can imagine, and they just get worse when you weld it all round, plus the microstructure in the weld HAZ just loves to have a crack running around it.

(*) Note that the current price for a set of RHD M30 headers from Fritz's is only a bit more than it was fifteen years ago. I suspect that they have been able to hold the price down by making them more cheaply, and 'welded all round' may well be part of that.

cheers
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

Brucey wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:03 am In case you are in any doubt about the standards of craftsmanship concerned, just look at the finish inside the fritz's system near the exhaust ports and compare it with Brickwhite's pictures above. The former is smooth and offers no obstruction to the gas path.
I bought a full M88 Fritz's system about 2 weeks ago. You could cut your finger on the inside of the ports. I smoothed everything with a high speed grinder and small flapper wheel.

I contacted Richard and he apologised and was going to have a stern word with his sub-contractor.
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

that is a bit disappointing. Even so I would warrant that they were still much better than the average cheap crap on ebay.....?

cheers