87Shark

Re: My L6

Post by 87Shark »

Very nice! Gotta love the L's.
'87 L6, Arctic White
Jono B good

Post by Jono B good »

Cirrus Blue YES! good guess! Thanks 87shark! :D More pics later I promise, what can I say? I have owned "Sonja" for 3 months now, she hails from California, has 156,000 on the ODO which still works. The sunroof works great no leaks yay! She's been garage kept during winters here in British Columbia. She came with refinished Racing Dynamics rims with a small bit of wear and tear. The interior is a bit worn, driver and passenger and the leather dash has been replaced with the vinyl one, which is in very good condition. The power antenna works like a charm now since I recently lubed it with Castrol 20-50 :o just at the aerial joints only. I have replaced the following; new Mann oil filter, Castrol 20-50 oil, Transmission oil and filter, new battery, spark plugs, all the fuses with new ones, all the 1/4" vacuum lines, new breather hose from BMW!, a new Mann air filter and a newer air filter cover which I painted nice flat black(the previous one was dented and had paint peeling) hood lamp, new CD//MP3/USB JVC deck it has a nice red color to match dash(the factory code never did work), still trying to locate actual build numbers for the L6 and an owners manual, power seats work, windows check, AC is a no go right now, she needs some engine work leaky gaskets; valve cover, rear main seal, cruise control works great, I disconnected the ICV and now it doesn't surge like bastard all the time, OBC works ie; time MPG, etc, a mostly complete tool kit, that's about all I can think of right now she will be a local car show here in Victoria B.C. the only L6 in the local car club, let alone the only BMW! ](*,)

Oh and I only run premium 94 Octane from Chevron has no ethanol! @ $1.74 per liter :-#

P.S I found the VIN search on here and add this
87 L6.pdf
(35.15 KiB) Downloaded 313 times
Last edited by Jono B good on Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
~Cirrusblau-Metallic~
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Jono B good wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:59 am Oh and I only run premium 94 Octane from Chevron has no ethanol! @ $174 per liter
I hope you simply forgot a decimal point there. #-o
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
Jono B good

Post by Jono B good »

Nope Canadian dollars... one dollar and seventy four cents per liter :( oops yeah you are right ha! $1.74 DOH!
~Cirrusblau-Metallic~
Tommys 89 635

Post by Tommys 89 635 »

Nice car. You've joined the right forum, lots of very knowledgable and helpful folks here.
Tommy
1989 635 CSI (Second owner since Jun 1995, driven daily and retired in 2013 with 295k to occasional driving)
2011 335D (Daily driver) with 103,550
Jono B good

Post by Jono B good »

Cheers from Canada :-)
~Cirrusblau-Metallic~
Jono B good

Post by Jono B good »

HI, after extensive work trying to seal up engine oil leaks, valve cover gasket and front main seal and valve lashes done, only find out she still leaks from the oil pan and plus the oil pan needs replacing a) because PO stripped the effing drain plug and installed a heli coil and b) PO or who ever used JB weld to fix a crack in the oil pan. Where in God's green earth do these asshats who think they know what they doing come from? Like really, how do you strip an oil pan drain plug??? I will be replacing the oil pan and gasket with newer better locally sourced unit $35 for used oil pan, hopefully that will be it for oil leaks. And where I live I can't work on my car now, without raising much shagrin from nosy neighbors. Then I can move onto the funky idle problem which I am sure is the crank reference position sensor, same running issue I had with my 528e. Oil and road grit had worked its' way into the gap between the magnetic portion of the sensor leaving a faulty signal. And a really scary idle. Anyways will update with more later brothers. :D
~Cirrusblau-Metallic~
87Shark

Post by 87Shark »

I personally feel there should be a 5 day waiting period for purchasing bondo and JB weld. Eliminate some of the bad "mechanics" from "plying their trade" Good luck with the repair! Here's to hoping you don't find any more surprises [-o< !
'87 L6, Arctic White
Jono B good

Post by Jono B good »

HAHAH yes I agree with JB weld wait time thing :D Thank you for the good wishes. I do know this in 2016 the PO did do a compression test at a local shop, and one of the cylinders was low, cylinder #3 I bought some https://www.restoreusa.com/index.php today and filled up tank with Chevron octane94 all the way up to the cap :D
Compression test results 1)160
2)160
3)145
4)160
5)160
6)155

We shall see if it helps I doubt it but hey I'll try anything once. I took Sonja for a good drive for 160 km of the twistys today.
~Cirrusblau-Metallic~
Jono B good

Post by Jono B good »

Oh and damn it so many bad drivers out today, tail gaters I am much more aware of them now after being hit rear ended in my 5er, they don't know the three mississippi rule. You must have at least a three second time frame when doing 80km/55mph on highways and the Malahat highway is a highway of death.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/polopoly_fs/1.253 ... /image.jpg
~Cirrusblau-Metallic~
Jono B good

Post by Jono B good »

Sourced some more parts today, OEM battery tie down, a 5er owners guide and the plastic cover for the AFM plus passenger seat cover for the seat folding hinge that faces the passenger door. Also looking at some original equipment TRX rims with michelin tires https://www.usedvictoria.com/classified ... -_31980617
~Cirrusblau-Metallic~
Jono B good

Post by Jono B good »

OMG I have the TRX's yes I know coker tire 400 per tire for new ones. I always wanted TRX's I like the way they look and they're OEM. Now set upon my endless list of mini projects for Sonja...
~Cirrusblau-Metallic~
Jono B good

Post by Jono B good »

Swapped in newer and cleaned ICV so far so good idle @750-800 YAY But while I was in the engine bay checking connecetors I noticed a connector broken at the hilt, it is the most forward facing connector on the left hand side of the themostat housing, it has it's own metal bracket the connector was sheared off at the bottom half and so there is an exposed wire, so looks like I may be slowly tracking down this electrical gremlin. Cluster seems to reacting almost normal with the on the fly fuel usage meter seems to playing fair. I tightened all the vacuum hoses I could find. I tried to get the hood light working but to no avail. I swapped in new bulb checked the switch, checked connectors to the bulb itself does it matter which way they go? Anyways had a good drive with Sonja today I may dig in a bit later and whipe some di-electric grease on the plug boots and coil and distributor.
~Cirrusblau-Metallic~
Jono B good

Post by Jono B good »

Ordered new center caps from BMW dealership for my TRX style 1's and also new floor mats for Sonja, should be here in 2 weeks from Germany WOOOO HOO! \:D/
~Cirrusblau-Metallic~
Soperman

Post by Soperman »

Hey Jono,

Forgive me if I am stating the obvious and you know this already, (because it took me a while to figure out), but are you aware that the hood light only works when your headlights are switched on?

Also, I’d be interested to know a little more about the mats you sourced in Germany.

Take care and good luck with your L6.
E24 M635CSi
Jono B good

Post by Jono B good »

Holy crap no!? I thought the hoodlight engaged when in "p" it states in the owners manual. O.K. I must try that, thanks mate. The mats I sourced from my local BMW dealership (Brent is the man) here in Victoria BC Canada, my mats, the last ones available arrive in 2 weeks from Germany they are OEM and black @ $275 CAD. And they have 1,000 TRX style 1 center caps @ $10 CAD. By the way who is the guy in you avatar reminds me of Reginald Perrin!? I'm sure it's not, a BBC classic character I'm sure 8)

Cheers mate from Canukistan.
~Cirrusblau-Metallic~
Soperman

Post by Soperman »

English comic actor Terry—Thomas. Prolific in 50’s& 60’s playing his trademark stereotypical upper-middle-class rogue/bounder/cad character.

In the 70’s he found great success in the States, in movies, commercials, chat shows etc.

I’d really appreciate a picture of your mats if you would be so kind.
E24 M635CSi
Jono B good

Post by Jono B good »

I will have to buy a camera soon. When I do I will post up for sure man.
~Cirrusblau-Metallic~
Jono B good

My L6 at local car show :D

Post by Jono B good »

Thanks to Darryl for the pics, and the Torque Masters car club for putting on this car show over 200 cars and 2 Bimmers a buddies X5 and my L6 and one Beamer (which won a trophy), I am a card carrying member :) A great group of guys.
Attachments
Untitled2.jpg
Untitled2.jpg (327.97 KiB) Viewed 16082 times
Untitled3.jpg
Untitled3.jpg (315.35 KiB) Viewed 16082 times
Untitled1.jpg
Untitled1.jpg (303.86 KiB) Viewed 16082 times
~Cirrusblau-Metallic~
Jono B good

Post by Jono B good »

I got my sunshade up and working now and I have to remove that gawd awful tint from 1989 :shock: It's that crap you could buy from Wallmart(Sonja came with already installed) it gone a hazy shade of purple so gross! I also received my new floor mats from BMW and my IACV rubber bushing piece from BMW also, I have replaced the crank reference sensor this week. Car seems to have a much more natural acceleration arc. Next to arrive is my new Bosch ignition coil, as I though it may be prudent to replace the 30+ year old one. I will get pictures up of carpet once I get a damned camera. ](*,)
~Cirrusblau-Metallic~
Jono B good

Post by Jono B good »

Thanks again to the Torque masters and to Darryl(pics) and Paul who helped with those damned window shade bits left overs. I just found some aerial shots at the auto extravaganza show of Sonja!
Attachments
Torque Masters 2018.jpg
Torque Masters 2018.jpg (705.62 KiB) Viewed 15970 times
T.M 2018.jpg
T.M 2018.jpg (696.3 KiB) Viewed 15970 times
~Cirrusblau-Metallic~
Jono B good

Post by Jono B good »

As per soperman's request for pics of interior carpets ordered new from BMW Stealership, sorry for delay bro.
Attachments
IMG_0013.jpg
IMG_0013.jpg (1.21 MiB) Viewed 15580 times
IMG_0012.jpg
IMG_0012.jpg (1.41 MiB) Viewed 15580 times
IMG_0011.jpg
IMG_0011.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 15580 times
IMG_0010.jpg
IMG_0010.jpg (1.24 MiB) Viewed 15580 times
~Cirrusblau-Metallic~