What did you do to your E24 today?

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: What did you do to your E24 today?

Post by songzunhuang »

DRPM635CSi wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:45 pm
88m6 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:06 pm Finally got front bumper assembly back on the car as I convert to shadowline, and replaced smashed foglight.
Grills r next n that will be it.
May I ask where you got your replacement new underbonnet\hood insulation pads from? Mine are crumbling away and I need to do the replacement. Big job, but I've done it once on an E28, so I know what I'm in for. I just need a source for the peel off, sticky back pads to put back on after I scraper and clean away all the rubbish from the old ones.
I purchase my new hood foam from BavAuto for only $60.

51 48 1 843781K HOOD INSULATION FOAM KIT (3 PIECES) $59.95 1 $59.95

This was back in 2016, the price is $92 now. Here's their contact info.
https://www.bavauto.com/catalogsearch/r ... +1+843781K

Bavarian Autosport
275 Constitution Ave.
Portsmouth, NH 03801
800-535-2002 ext. 7
[email protected]
www.BavAuto.com
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
Last 7 of VIN: 6997383
88m6

Post by 88m6 »

DRPM635CSi wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:45 pm
88m6 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:06 pm Finally got front bumper assembly back on the car as I convert to shadowline, and replaced smashed foglight.
Grills r next n that will be it.
May I ask where you got your replacement new underbonnet\hood insulation pads from? Mine are crumbling away and I need to do the replacement. Big job, but I've done it once on an E28, so I know what I'm in for. I just need a source for the peel off, sticky back pads to put back on after I scraper and clean away all the rubbish from the old ones.
Got mine from wallothnesh in Germany .had several bits on order n they were on sale at the time,like 40.00, so added the. To my order.
Like has been said many suppliers have them or access to them. Not a hard find.
Ronnie Wilson

Post by Ronnie Wilson »

Hi Guys

Hood Foam still available from Bmw.
Ronnie
Liverpool uk.
1986 635csi.
Bronze Beige Metallic.
OnTheFritz

Post by OnTheFritz »

Changed out the battery and did an oil change this weekend! And I did something I should've done last time I had the valve cover off in June: clean, Loctite, and properly torque the oil spray bar banjo bolts (I did to about 65in-lb, around 7Nm). While it was on the lift, I checked all the bolts on the front suspension for tightness in advance of an 800-mile round trip to visit family for Thanksgiving. Everything checked out quite nicely, I'm excited to see how well the grand tourer, well, does a grand tour :lol:

8/87 635CSi A, #3266516
88m6

Post by 88m6 »

Finally got my back end all finished from shadowline conversion n back together with new plates emblems remount reconditioned spoiler

Front is in process .
Attachments
IMG_3713.JPG
IMG_3713.JPG (1.21 MiB) Viewed 16005 times
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

I installed a Curt trailer hitch on my Lexus RX350. Just so I could mount a trailer to pick up another E24.....
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
DRPM635CSi

Post by DRPM635CSi »

88m6 wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:45 pm Finally got my back end all finished from shadowline conversion n back together with new plates emblems remount reconditioned spoiler

Front is in process .
That black painted panel where the licence plate mounts is supposed to be body colour. It was only painted black by dealers in markets where the local licencing rules demanded the number plate be mounted on a contrasting background for legibility reasons (allegedly) like the UK. In my car's case, it was done in an extremely cheap and nasty way with a can of rattle matt black and without any surface preparation at all for the new paint to adhere to the Glasurit in body colour underneath.
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

DRPM635CSi wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:47 am That black painted panel where the licence plate mounts is supposed to be body colour. It was only painted black by dealers in markets where the local licencing rules demanded the number plate be mounted on a contrasting background for legibility reasons (allegedly) like the UK. In my car's case, it was done in an extremely cheap and nasty way with a can of rattle matt black and without any surface preparation at all for the new paint to adhere to the Glasurit in body colour underneath.
Please don't think I'm being deliberately argumentative but where is your evidence for this?

Both facelift and pre-facelift E24 brochures show cars with black rear number plate surrounds so can I ask why you think, other than your view of the cheap rattle matt black on your car, that all cars had body coloured number plate surrounds?
2001 Alpina B10 V8 Touring (1 of 12 rhd)
1997 Alpina B12 5.7 L (1 of 2 rhd)
1995 Alpina B10 4.6 Touring (1 of 1 rhd)
1985 BMW M635CSi (1 of 524 rhd)
1982 BMW 635CSiA (1 of 100's left from the 1000's made and still valiantly fighting against a rusty grave)
DRPM635CSi

Post by DRPM635CSi »

sharkfan wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:18 pm Both facelift and pre-facelift E24 brochures show cars with black rear number plate surrounds so can I ask why you think, other than your view of the cheap rattle matt black on your car, that all cars had body coloured number plate surrounds?
Perhaps I should have been more detailed in my response. The black panel you've noted in the sales brochures is done with a vinyl sticker that was originally included as a part of the 70's era big wide 'Starsky & Hutch' decal package for the E24. It ceased being so when the finer, less bold pinstripe decal package of the 80's took over, however, in some markets like the UK with their white front, yellow rear numberplates, there was still a requirement for the rear numberplate to be displayed on a contrasting background (to the yellow of the plate itself). For these markets specifically, the black vinyl decal for the rear was still supplied to the importing dealers to make compliance easy. The brochures correspondingly showed cars in this guise so they would reflect how the cars would be sold in that market.

To the best of my knowledge, the US was not one of these markets and especially so late in the model life when the M6 was being sold in the US. So a US M6 with a black rear panel looks a bit odd. The black panel ages the cars a bit more than necessary. It points to a 1970's E12 era car rather than the 80's E28 based models most are these days.

The wide decal package continued through to early M635CSi production in 83/84, but was pretty much a rarity and special order item only after 1985. You do still see some correct stickered up M635CSi running around with the wide black vinyl block stickers both in the front airdam recesses and the rear numberplate panel, but it's not a thing that should be there on an 88/89 US M6.

Some (cheapskate) UK dealers like the one who sold mine, couldn't be arsed with the proper black vinyl decal from the factory and instead just masked up the area with some paper-backed masking tape and went to town on it with a cheap rattle can of satin black instead from the local home improvement barn. That's when you really know it's not supposed to be that way when you chip off the flaking paint and find perfect undamaged Glasurit Alpine White #1 underneath hiding there perfectly protected for 20 years.
88m6

Post by 88m6 »

All news to me. Don't know what happened in UK but here every e24 rear panel I have ever seen is as I have . Euro only had body color panels n were painted once federalized upon arrival in states.
Never saw any vinyl sheet on that panel of any of the e24s us or euro I have ever seen . I believe u are speaking strictly from a euro point of view. We never had the starsky n hutch stripes here either as a new car option.
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

News to me too. I have both DE and UK brochures from the 1970's to the late 1980's, lhd and rhd and all show a black number plate surround - please show some evidence of the vinyl sticker other than your own car which may have had it done to it during a restoration. I've had many E24's and seen hundreds and never seen any 'vinyl stickers'.

Can you show a brochure or original photograph with a body coloured number plate surround?

Your argument seems to make the point that the US market is the exception, and not the rule; please show any evidence to establish your assertion that the black backgrounds are not from the factory.
1982 BMW 635CSiA (1 of 100's left from the 1000's made and still valiantly fighting against a rusty grave)
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

The requirement for a contrasting panel colour behind a UK yellow reflective numberplate is just not true.
1981 635 series 1
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

olympia57 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:09 pm The requirement for a contrasting panel colour behind a UK yellow reflective numberplate is just not true.
I agree - I've searched and can't find any present or previous legislation.
87Shark

Post by 87Shark »

New battery installed and new center caps for my style 8 wheels! \:D/
'87 L6, Arctic White
OnTheFritz

Post by OnTheFritz »

Got the RC090s completely dismantled and took the centers in to get painted! Getting a slightly deeper gold than what I have currently, and I have high hopes for the results. We'll see this weekend! I'll also be stripping the black paint on the lips and beginning to sand/polish those over the coming weeks. I will probably end up buying all new black-plated steel hardware in favor of attempting to clean and paint the existing hardware, as well as having peace of mind.

8/87 635CSi A, #3266516
david565

Post by david565 »

Today I got my E24 back from Envirostrip.

1982 BMW 635csi Manual Opal green #171, 1987 Ford Capri MK3, 1995 BMW 323i Madeira Violet, 1995 BMW M5 3.8 6-Speed Daytona Violet (Sold)
OnTheFritz

Post by OnTheFritz »

Been a bit busy with life and all lately, but things have been happening! I have photo albums of the work I've been doing lately, which recently includes a couple 800+ mile trips, replacing the starter, and progress on refinishing some RC090s.

For anyone interested in seeing pictures, I have some photo albums that document the work I've been doing recently.
Starter (which I have also documented at viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27886#p219077 ) - https://imgur.com/a/mcAHCtF
My progress in refinishing the RC090s. Lots of pics here, but in reverse order. Top is most recent, beginning is at the bottom of the page - https://imgur.com/a/XIxKbsZ

Coming up, I need to do another oil change before I leave to study abroad in Germany in the coming weeks. I would've liked to rebuild the diff and upgrade to 3 clutch plates, but that service can wait until I get back in the summer. I'd also like to have my wheels completely finished before I leave, but since I won't be putting tires on right now anyway I'm not as concerned about getting that done super quickly.
8/87 635CSi A, #3266516
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

Awakened the old fella from his 5 month hibernation, where does time go ?
Turned over with coil disconnected until pressure was good and the fired immediatley. A bit grumpy at first but soon settled down to smooth tickover .
Was then horrified to find a substantial pool of ATF under it once driven out of the airchamber . Below min when hot so more than 1/2 litre lying there :( (*
Got it up on on axle stands and found that fitting that oil cooler pipe went onto was loose allowing atf to seep out over the time standing. I reckon that that fitting has never been tightened in nigh on 40 years. Simple fix with new copper sealiing washer and all was well again.
Ran to temp. and the topped gearbox up to correct level ,drained engine oil and replaced filter . What a fiddle of a job......
Fresh oil and no leaks. :D
Fitted new distributor cap that I bought over winter, another awkward job as on mine you are best to remove radiator shroud and viscous fan , the shroud to get the cap off , the fan to ensure the radiator hose protector is correctly fitted.
Underside components cleaned and painted where needed , wheels polished and Moto Lita wood wheel refitted after delamination repair and re lacquer.
New front 225 tyres awaiting fitting next week but all good to go now.
1981 635 series 1
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

635CSi started up yesterday and warmed through for a run out next week sometime; M635CSi started up and taken out for a short run today - no issues, sounded amazing, everything (including AC) worked perfectly except for a slight squeak from the rear seat AC/Vent fan. IIRC it should be just taking the side panels off to squirt some lube at the bearings.
DRPM635CSi

Post by DRPM635CSi »

Finally got the ABS working again! Gave up on trying to source some new genuine front wheel sensors and installed the Intermotor ALS1431 aftermarket non-genuine E28 version length ones instead. Very happy to report they work a treat first time straight out of the box, no dramas at all. Bosch can go suck it as far as I'm concerned.

Did require a bit of jiggery pokery to re-route the cables from the car's wiring harness to reach the new shorter plugs from the wheel sensors, but with some proper fabric wiring harness wrap and careful positioning of the cables, it all looks perfectly factory fitted again, and the best bit is no more orange light on the dash and no more pulsing brake pedal when there's no need at all from lack of trigger pulses from the proxies to the flags on the trigger wheels. Stand on the brake now though and the wheels no longer lock just as they're supposed to. Very happy to have working ABS again coming into winter.

Replaced both front wheel sensors and the right rear too. The left rear was done over a year ago when it was discovered the state of the pulse generators was so bad, there was nothing doing except replacing all four. The insulation shielding had completely cracked off the entire length of all four original cables, so clearly there was so much EM noise polluting the signal with no shielding, they were no longer capable of being a reliable trigger for the ABS computer.

While in there with the rear seat shells out to plug the rear sensors in, also fabbed up some shaped bits of aluminium sheet to go behind the rear seat base wall, glued in place with epoxy body adhesive to repair the cross-threaded screw holes for the seat shell front brackets. Not a major thing, but ever since I put in a lot of work to fit premium speaker pods in the rear parcel shelf, it has always shat me and played on my mind that when reassemblng everything in the rear seat area, I knew that a couple of the rear seat shell anchor screws would spin and spin endlessly and never take up tension properly. The wall thickness of the seat base is paper-thin and doesn't take a lot of screwing-unscrewing-screwing taking the seat shells in-out again over many years before the metal is so chewed it can't hold a self-tapper anymore, so this had to be addressed.
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

Bled the brakes and am thinking about pulling it out with the recent warmer weather!
http://www.Drive4Corners.com
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
'83 633CSi Callaway Turbo continued as 1988 535is Turbo
SOLD: '81 635CSi/A
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

After fitting the RC090's last autumn and finding them too eager to tramline I fitted new Kumho 225/45 's to the front .
The cause was the tyres fitted were old although they still had deep tread on them. It certainly showed me how tyres deteriorate over time .
The tyres had been on another car of mine and seldom subjected to UV due to being parked deep in the garage but they were as hard as a working girls heart when removed....
The difference is amazing with no tramlining and tight turn in ,I'd also say that any difference between the previous 16 inch wheels fitted is now less noticeable than ever . I'll now renew the years too.
Gave it a thorough machine polish with Meguirs 205 polishing compound and then a coat of Autoglym super resin polish , engine detail and inside glass cleaned .
Took it for a spring warm up drive and it whispered along .
Hope we get a summer .....
014 - Copy (Large).JPG
014 - Copy (Large).JPG (486.36 KiB) Viewed 14951 times
1981 635 series 1
dlvad
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dlvad »

Very Nice early e24, Looks Great.
Is this Kaschmir #143 Metalic & Pergament #0110?
DV
Motorsport & Vintage Coupes
ALPINA Oldtimers of Course...
BMW-Classic CCA
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

dlvad wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:10 am Very Nice early e24, Looks Great.
Is this Kaschmir #143 Metalic & Pergament #0110?
Yes it is . I've seen the combination on other cars but they had the black oe body stripe this being silver seems to lighten the whole car.
Thanks for your comment.
Don
1981 635 series 1
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

M635CSi passed it's MoT with no advisories, but I'd only done just shy of 700 miles in the last year.

There's a few things around the car I am planning to get done; handbrake rebuild on both sides as I've never had them apart in the last 12 years of ownership, all new anti-roll bits across the front, and replace the exhasut hanger bits on the back of the gearbox.

Otherwise the car is epic, still has the straight six howl, everything works including the air-con, and it still looks stunning.