E12 based car

Post in this forum for topics relating to suspension, steering, and brakes

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

rrrs

E12 based car

Post by rrrs »

Hi, I was just about to buy '85 US spec 5 speed car locally, but am now really interested in '79 5 speed euro car posted on this forum.
I tried to do a lot of research about differences between the 2 chassis but seems, as usually, opinions vary a lot.
I am all clear about visual differences as well as J-tronic vs M-tronic, but would like to understand more about chassis and suspension.
If data I found online are correct, the E12 based car would be 70kg heavier than '85 (1500kg vs 1430); really hard to believe with all the extra electrical seats etc...would this be correct?
I found various comments about "superior" suspension in later chassis; would this be correct?

As motor itself, I know the M90 is sought-after, but I already got a really nice fully rebuilt M102 turbo motor from 745i that I would like to use, so M90 would not really be an advantage for me.
At the same time, since my M102 is also J-tronic, would it make the swap much easier?

Thanks for all comments!
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Re: E12 based car

Post by Brucey »

rrrs wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:43 am .....I am all clear about ....... J-tronic vs M-tronic .......
E24 used a carburettor fuelled engine initially and soon moved to engines fuelled by Bosch L-Jetronic systems. [The L stands for 'Luft' because of the distinctive airflow meter in L-jet systems]. This is an electronic fuel injection system with analogue injector control. The ignition advance is either 'conventional' (i.e. controlled with a distributor containing vacuum and centrifugal advance) or controlled with a separate computer that superimposes additional ignition mapping in addition to that given by the distributor.

BMWs started to be fitted with (digital rather than analogue) Bosch Motronic systems in 1979. These systems control both spark and fuel from the same ECU. The first Motronic-fuelled E24 was the 635CSi; this was initially L-jet fuelled but changed to Motronic in mid 1980. By 1982 all E24 models (apart from 628CSi) used Motronic.

There are numerous different versions of both L-Jet and Motronic systems used on E24. Pre-5/82 cars have completely different suspension, differential, engine mountings, steering, front suspension, sump design, wiring harness, brakes, speedometer drive. Best to think of it as an entirely different car that happens to look the same as the later versions. There are numerous detailed differences in the L-jet systems that are used too depending on model and build date.

The M102 engine has L-jetronic fuelling. I don't know whether the sump is the right shape to fit in an E24 without modification, or whether the block has the engine mounts in the right place on it. The later M106 engine uses Motronic instead.

The good news is that all E24 have a separate engine harness that is (fairly) simply interfaced to the rest of the car. If fitting a different generation of engine to an E24 there are considerable wiring hassles but of they are of similar age then these are reduced somewhat. In a pre 5/82 car you will need a gearbox with a mechanical speedo output built into it, or something to generate/convert an electronic signal to a drive a mechanical speedometer.

Post 5/82 cars have a considerably improved rear suspension design. This can (with some work) be fitted into an earlier chassis and it is probably worthwhile if you are going for a power upgrade. Post 5/82 cars also have a completely different front suspension as well. The earlier (and simpler) front suspension is Ok but it (subtly) alters the range of choices for front wheels that can be fitted without rubbing in the wheelarches.

I don't recommend that you install a 250bhp engine into a pre 5/82 chassis without doing something about the diff mount; this (both the mount itself and the crossmember it is attached to) very commonly breaks up with a 220bhp engine installed. This part of the car underwent several changes and even later versions are not always strong enough unless they are modified.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

As knowledgeable as Brucey is, I have to beg to differ on Motronic introduction. The first cars to see Motronic were on the Euro M90(635) motors of May of 1981 manufacture. This was a one year only production as it was Motronic basic which in 5/82 manufacture than became Motronic 1.1. I went through this while doing the restoration of my 81 Euro 635 which started 10 years ago and was told by many my car had been "Frankensteined" and that no M90 (635)motor existed from the factory with Motronic prior to 5/82. So after much research, what I found out was pretty much a definite . The 635s did not come into the US until 8/84 and the 633s, at least until that point, according to realoem, still ran Ljet. I was also told based on the physical outside configuration of the water passages on my block it absolutely could not be an M90 motor. For 100% sure. When the motor was opened up for rebuild, it was 100% virgin and 100% for sure an M90.
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

As an E12 E24 car owner, I know that parts are not readily available for the E12!!
You/we have to search & at the same time get lucky to find parts! :-({|=
BMW sadly feels our E12 E24's are too old to deal with!
The change-over year to the E28 E24 is '82.
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
Buster/'82Euro6 Build Date 9/81
Rosallina/'80 528i Build Date 4/80
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Hi Greg, I am wondering what parts you are having a hard time finding?? In the years that I have been restoring my car from the ground up, an 81 Euro, E12 based, there are very few parts i haven't been able to find. But I am going back over a number of years. none the less, I am still curious about what you couldn't find
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

+ 1 Greg, I too am not having much difficulty finding pretty much anything my '80 needs :-k

Sure, aftermarket stuff will slowly be harder to come by, Bilstein Sports being a prime example [-(

Plus the used market is always there, in fact Big Coupe in general has been very supportive of keeping these old beasts alive and kicking =D>
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

re motronic introduction on 635CSi; lots of motronic-only parts eg the inlet manifold here;

http://2009.bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/ ... _system-3/

show as being fitted to 635CSI models 9/80 onwards. The longer stroke, smaller bore version of the engine came in 5/82 along with different E28 underpinnings. No-one (apart from folk who don't know any better) is saying that the motronic-fuelled engines made 9/80 to 5/82 ain't the short stroke M90 dimensions; I have such an engine myself....

Re 633CSi engine management;

no european 633CSi were made after 1981. The model continued in the US market in revised form until the (somewhat emasculated) US version of the 635CSi was introduced in 1984. However motronic-only parts such as the inlet manifold are shown as fitted to US model 633CSi 9/81 onwards e.g.

http://2009.bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/ ... _system-3/

whereas comparable L-jet parts are shown as stopping at the same date eg #2 here

http://2009.bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/ ... _system-2/

So I don't see what the problem is in what I said previously....?

cheers
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Brucey still insist Motronic 635 1.0 basic was a 1 year only car of '81 model year and then on to Motronic 1.1 Must be careful defining which Motronic. Motronic 1.0 ran an 002 ECU for 81 and then 008 on 1.1 euros of course. Must remember Euro only cars until the 635 came to US. I also believe very strongly that the US 3.2 until model year 83 ran Ljet. Of cousre I am known to be wrong......often
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

'model years' are pretty meaningless for BMWs. Build dates are the thing. Your 'one year only' 635CSi spec was built from 9/80 until 5/82. No 633CSi build past 9/81 used L-jet.

Check the build dates I have quoted if you like, links above.

cheers
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

I rebuilt my series one e12 based car as close to stock OE as I could, in particular every chassis component was renewed or rebuilt with new parts .
I found everything I needed either new or from used part suppliers ( and Ron :wink: ).
There are significant differencies between the early and later models as has been stated but with due diligence and care the correct parts can be identified and sourced.
Use Real OEM as a starting point http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do?lang=en but seek out any parts manual wherever you can too.
The internet is a blessing though as parts for my car were literally sourced from around the world so cast your net as wide as you can.
My advice is never take any sale item at face value , check ,double check and then confirm before purchasing .Sellers are too frequently unaware of the differencies. Asking on here also helped me considerably.
Good luck .
Don
1981 635 series 1
Pasocb

Post by Pasocb »

I believe that you will find there is a substantial group of forum members who are very passionate about their E12 base cars (I know that I am one). It really comes down to personal taste. I enjoy driving and working on these cars because of their precise engineering from a simpler time. For me, the E12 base car better fits that image than the E28 base car. I too am a little curious about the weight differential published on the internet. It would be interesting to compare the two cars with similar equipment on a truck scale. Perhaps this could be accomplished by stopping by a feed store during the next Sharkfest? I have not found it difficult to find parts for these cars; however, as mentioned above you need to be knowledgeable as a buyer about the difference between the cars. Welcome to the fun!
1981 635 Hennarot
1980 635 Polaris (Project)
dave9118

Post by dave9118 »

I do have one question regards the choice of shocks for the E12 based cars... I've read on here that Bilstein don't make suspension for them any more? Now, I might sound daft here, but can't I just use B6's for the E12 or doesn't it work like that?

Also, Demon Tweeks are selling B6's that they state will fit a 1981 E24, so any help here would be appreciated before I part with another £600!

The shocks on it at the moment are OE Boge units, peach in colour. Leave them on...? :-k

Thanks
"The explanation you are about to give, needs to be.... PHENOMENALLY good"!

Edmond Blackadder
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

D6s work. They are a heavy duty shock versus D8s which are a sport shock. Same valving just a shorter stroke on a sport shock so that it works better in conjunction with lowering springs.
dave9118

Post by dave9118 »

bpoliakoff wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:41 pm D6s work. They are a heavy duty shock versus D8s which are a sport shock. Same valving just a shorter stroke on a sport shock so that it works better in conjunction with lowering springs.
Oh I see, so the B6's are still made, it's just the sport stuff that's no longer manufactured?
"The explanation you are about to give, needs to be.... PHENOMENALLY good"!

Edmond Blackadder
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

I don't know if they are manufactured or not. Probably are, just in batches when there is an apparent large desire for them. They are around new just very scarce to find. Sometimes you can find a low mileage used set. I found a set with 10K miles on them I will eventually put in my car. So they are around.
munich_633CSI

Post by munich_633CSI »

Hello guys,

i am driving a first GEN 633 CSI from 1977 - so it should be e12 based.

The preowner installed Bilstein B6 shocks and H&R Springs from the e28.
I am a little confused, that those springs work on my car because it should be e12 based.

Is it possible that he also used some e28 shocks?

The Front looks quiet low - the rear shocks are to strong and keeps the back up.
I talked to bilstein - the can shorten those shocks (its a also possible to order them new already shortened - which makes them Bilstein B8 shocks i guess)
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Maybe Brucey has an answer, as he is quite knowledgable on the finer points of the 2 different suspensions in the 6 series cars. As to the 12 years I have been restoring my 81 euro, of which 7 of those years were spent looking for new lowering springs, I have never run into one person, some of which were beyond very much in the know, who said the E28 shocks and springs would interchange onto an E12 chassis, were a definite NO.!
new kid

Post by new kid »

You can not put e28 shocks and springs in e12 strut housings. The spring perches are different, the shock mounts are different, ect. You might be able to put a complete e28 suspension in an e12. I am talking about everything from the subframe up.
Kurtamine_

Post by Kurtamine_ »

munich_633CSI wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:56 pm Hello guys,

i am driving a first GEN 633 CSI from 1977 - so it should be e12 based.

The preowner installed Bilstein B6 shocks and H&R Springs from the e28.
I am a little confused, that those springs work on my car because it should be e12 based.

Is it possible that he also used some e28 shocks?

The Front looks quiet low - the rear shocks are to strong and keeps the back up.
I talked to bilstein - the can shorten those shocks (its a also possible to order them new already shortened - which makes them Bilstein B8 shocks i guess)

It is possible to install e28 Bilsteins with the E12 setup. In the front I modified the strut tube to make them work. The end result my the front decently lower and the rear end higher, and good ride quality.

I also don't have an issue finding parts for my E24/12 thanks to the forum. \:D/
Attachments
Rolex.jpg
Rolex.jpg (384.88 KiB) Viewed 16365 times
'81 E24
'99 miata
'84 E30
'99 eclipse
Mamod17

Post by Mamod17 »

Brucey wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:17 am
rrrs wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:43 am .....I am all clear about ....... J-tronic vs M-tronic .......

Post 5/82 cars have a considerably improved rear suspension design. This can (with some work) be fitted into an earlier chassis and it is probably worthwhile if you are going for a power upgrade. Post 5/82 cars also have a completely different front suspension as well. The earlier (and simpler) front suspension is Ok but it (subtly) alters the range of choices for front wheels that can be fitted without rubbing in the wheelarches.

cheers
Great info Brucey, thanks.

In researching the JPS 31 car for my replica build, this car has a series 1 dash, but a series 2 interior and rear bumper.

The info I have from the AussieSharks Facebook page is:

This car, the second of the group c cars built was actually built by JPS in house on a group A chassis RA1-02 (very early build third chassis built). The car was converted from a group a chassis to group c specs by JPS. As far as I am aware all the RA chassis were built on the E28 platform. However you will find that a lot of the cars built in late1982 and early 1983 will have used a mixed bag of parts like dashes and trims on them, some from series 1 and some from series 2. The race teams just used what they had available to them at the time of the build.

Interested if anyone can look at the photos here and discern if it is series 1 or 2? I hear the shock towers are a giveaway...
Attachments
IMG_7494.jpeg
IMG_7494.jpeg (929.54 KiB) Viewed 16129 times
IMG_4449.jpeg
IMG_4449.jpeg (251.48 KiB) Viewed 16129 times
IMG_7385.jpeg
IMG_7385.jpeg (1.98 MiB) Viewed 16129 times
IMG_3742.jpeg
IMG_3742.jpeg (1.2 MiB) Viewed 16129 times
1980 JPS635csi Group C Tribute
1986 635csi 5speed Alpine White M-Tech Aust Del
2001 325ci Auto Orient Blue

Previous
1988 635csi Auto Zinnerbot
1988 320i Convertible
Pasocb

Post by Pasocb »

Everything about this car (with exception to the gauge cluster) points to a series two car for me.
IIRC, series one shock towers are a little more upright (especially the passenger side) and tend to have rounded off or beveled corners.
1981 635 Hennarot
1980 635 Polaris (Project)
ternandofoledo

Post by ternandofoledo »

Hey everyone, great info in this post!

I'm a little bit curious about the upgrades of the rear suspension that I should be aware due to the fact that I did not have E28 swaped mine.

Is it something really concearning?

In the E12 case, if you had to upgrade suspensions but without an E28 donor car, what would be doable? I'm close to this part in my project and would be a bliss to have some discussion :)
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Maybe Bilstein shocks all the way around as well as lowering springs and a thicker sway bar in the front
Gregorydarcy

Post by Gregorydarcy »

having great difficulty finding brake rotors - i am open to doing an upgrade and any suggestions here
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Series 1 vented brake rotors for the 4 piston euro calipers were redily available in the US when I did my rebuild and would think they still are Problem being they weigh a ton and shipping will kill you