New Member - Just bought a M6 across the country

Please take a moment to leave feedback for buyers and businesses you have dealt with. All complaints should be posted here.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Sbeaud

New Member - Just bought a M6 across the country

Post by Sbeaud »

Just bought a 1988 M6 and now I need to get it from California to Michigan. Doing some research on transport companies - lots of stories. Any recommendations for a covered carrier?
1988 M6
matthewdesigns

Re: New Member - Just bought a M6 across the country

Post by matthewdesigns »

As part of my job I occasionally schedule cars in/out of my workplace, and generally speaking if you request enclosed transport the attention to detail by the driver is much higher, so you will not have as many issues as you will with an open carrier. If the sketchy stories you've heard are related to open transport I'm not surprised as that's where any problem we have seems to happen. Also keep in mind that unless you book the transportation directly with an owner/operator you'll be working with a broker who will bid the service out to whomever is able to work with your pick up and drop off locations. That's not necessarily a bad thing, just a heads up that you will likely only have contact with the broken until a day before delivery when the driver calls to schedule the drop off. We have used the broker Montway for years as a point of reference. We just started using a second broker who's name eludes me at the moment, but pricing is relatively equivalent from one to another.

Make sure that the person on site for the pick up does not sign for the car's release from their location until the driver notes not only all damage but the mileage as well on their checklist. Most drivers with modern tracking systems also take pics of any details and will email them to the contact at the pick up location, so you can request that they are forwarded to you as well. Before you sign off and take possession of the car really scrutinize the notes against the condition of the car as delivered, and the mileage (which realistically should not have changed more than a tenth of a mile at most). Once you sign off it's yours and there is no recourse against the shipper or the person/business at the point of origination. Request delivery during daylight hours so there is no question about what you see in person.

Payment is another point of contention at times, so make sure that the details of that exchange are 100% clear. There's typically a deposit paid up front, with the balance paid at the drop off location via check or card. However, sometimes the full fee is paid in advance, but a driver either does not know (or feigns ignorance) that this has happened. Be sure that this is all clear when the driver calls to schedule the delivery time. Do not give any driver cash unless you get a receipt.

It's really not that scary a prospect! Especially if you go enclosed...everything should be pretty smooth with the operation. Just be detail-minded and you'll be set.
'84 633CSi
Arctic White/Pearl Beige
brickwhite

Post by brickwhite »

Did you buy this car?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-bmw-m6-44/

$25,500 not too bad....

Let us know how buying on BAT goes...Good luck with your Purchase and shipping.
- 12 535i
- 92 325ic
Sbeaud

Post by Sbeaud »

Sorry for delay...

Yes, that is the vehicle I purchased. First time I'm going through this process, so it is going a little slow. Just wrapping up the purchase, and still working on the transportation. Put some request for quotes out there and it was like feeding sharks - emails, phone calls, "sign up now for the discount"... Does not seem to be the most transparent of industries. The shippers I'm confident in are $2,500-3,000 - not practical for the vehicle's value. So, I'll continue my research and take on some risk. BAT was fine to deal with - really had very limited interaction with them. The seller has been fantastic - very understanding, cooperative and knowledgeable - John Bennett of Hubbard's German Auto in Eureka, CA.
1988 M6
TBM

Post by TBM »

Welcome to the board!

Hope you enjoy your ownership.

"The shippers I'm confident in are $2,500-3,000 - not practical for the vehicle's value. "

Moving companies are not reliable for the most part and basing the cost of moving on the price you paid is not practical at all. You bought this vehicle well and hope you enjoy it.. But it would be very sad if you had to make a claim to a shoddy mover's insurance and fight them for every bloody penny you're owed.. especially if it ends up on Carafx and lowers the vehicles value even if fixed..

These cars aren't cheap to fix.. They did cost a lot when new and the parts reflect that even today..
'84 M635csi
'86 Lotus esprit Turbo (sold)
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

Welcome to the forum. Looks like a great buy. Since it has high mileage anyway, why not drive it home yourself?
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Masked Man »

Pod wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:15 am Welcome to the forum. Looks like a great buy. Since it has high mileage anyway, why not drive it home yourself?
I second the welcomes extended and offer this reply to Pod. Because it's 2300 miles from Eureka, CA and the DEAD of winter here on the North American continent. 2 days ago the upper midwest got as much as a foot of snow and from Eureka to Michigan, you're stuck taking the Northern route, through some 10K+ foot mountain ranges which WILL have snow. This is not a trip I'd attempt in an unknown vehicle in the SUMMER! In winter it's a fool's errand. I'm from SW Michigan and we've been known to get 16" of snow in 8 hrs.
Have it transported.

Keep the shiny side UP and welcome to the madness, Sbeaud!!

Phillip

PS It has Dunlop Direzza ZII tires which are strictly summer extreme performance tires, so driving those thru winter snow? Uh uh.
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
Ireland stainless exhaust
Upper & lower control arms
New tie rod kit
Sbeaud

Post by Sbeaud »

I'd love to drive it, but as masked man notes the weather would not be my friend. Still working on the shipping - will end up paying extra for the peace of mind. It didn't help that the car is on the coast a fair distance from I-5. I'm hoping to have it in my garage in about 3 weeks.
1988 M6
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

I guess that does put a different complexion on it🤔
Daddy shark

Post by Daddy shark »

Bao Tran
Newman Industries
7420 Westlake Ter # 402
Bethesda, MD 20817

[email protected]

SHe is a great well known shipper resource--I am currently in the process of shipping a 1987 M6 in Ontario, CA to Raleigh, NC good luck and nice M6!