Whos e24 has a broken odometer? Odometer gears here!

Post in this forum for cars and/or parts for sale.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

garagistic

Re: Whos e24 has a broken odometer? Odometer gears here!

Post by garagistic »

Please review them on website when you install your gears!
kief

Post by kief »

@songzunhuang

DAMNIT! @Garagistic, it needs to be made clear on how to remove the brass sleve. It should be on a piece of paper when you send the gears. You squeeze it (don't even have to squeeze it hard) with needlenose or other pliers, and it warps it out of shape and makes it loose so it just slips off.

This knowledge is unknown to so many people, and it needs to be known!

look at my post on the middle of page 2, and you'll see that songzunhuang wouldn't have had the trouble he had. If you do supply this info, then I'm sorry, but think about the customer...
1984 BMW 633CSi - traded for 1979 Yamaha XS750
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

kief wrote:@songzunhuang

DAMNIT! @Garagistic, it needs to be made clear on how to remove the brass sleve. It should be on a piece of paper when you send the gears. You squeeze it (don't even have to squeeze it hard) with needlenose or other pliers, and it warps it out of shape and makes it loose so it just slips off.

This knowledge is unknown to so many people, and it needs to be known!

look at my post on the middle of page 2, and you'll see that songzunhuang wouldn't have had the trouble he had. If you do supply this info, then I'm sorry, but think about the customer...
Yup, folks who sell these gears would sure help their customers if it was clear. I improvised, but not sure all is well. My odometer still randomly starts and stops. I may have to do this again the "correct way" in case somehow my attempt was not centered.

Btw - my gears came with no documentation whatsoever. I just got gears in a small plastic bag.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
Last 7 of VIN: 6997383
kief

Post by kief »

I'm so glad you saw my post.

Maybe garagistic will learn from this. Mine are still working great, and recording the correct mileage, but it sucks you weren't aware of this simple method that would have saved you at least an hour of headache I bet. They should send you a new set, or at least that small gear that you had to drill out lol.

Its a good thing you didn't break it. I remember when I had mine apart, and that small brass sleeve is attached to a rod that gets VERY narrow at a point inside the housing. Like thinner than a millimeter in diameter from what I remember. I bet you could break it in half if you put some force on it.
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

Before anyone gets too carried away here bashing on garagistics and before @songzunhuang beats himself up too badly for reaming out his gear, I would like to say a couple of things in both of their defenses: When I tackled the gears this weekend, I ran into the same problems that @songzunhuang did on my 2/83 633. I had to desolder the little board to get the plastic cover off (thanks for giving me a heads-up on that in your post). I had read all of these posts as well as the directions on the garagistics website. So I was completely aware of using the pliers to remove the bushing. Unfortunately, the bushing used on mine had no intention of being deformed enough to be removed. In fact, I could not cause it to deform at all. So I followed @songzunhuang's procedure of reaming out the gear by hand - sore fingers and all. I'm just glad it was a 3-day weekend, or I might not have finished in time. I would be willing to bet that VDO changed the bushing some time in 84, and those of us with earlier cars are just kind of stuck with it.
1983 633CSi 5-speed Black & Tan
2008 X5 4.8i
2004 MINI Cooper S 6-speed
2001 Z3 3.0i 5-speed
DFW Texas
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Completely solved my intermittent Odo problem

Post by songzunhuang »

So I thought I would update this thread and let you know that I have completely fixed my errant odometer. It turns out that one of my gears was sliding about the pin and getting disengaged from a gear. You have to figure out a way to keep the gear in place. I put some pictures in my project post viewtopic.php?f=25&t=25858&start=225#p194859

I looked on eBay and saw that garagistics has some photos on the eBay auction that shows a piece of small tubing used to keep the gear from sliding. Well, I didn't get one of those tube pieces in my kit. So I had to improvise using a circular piece of rubber.

It's been a week of commuting now and the odometer is performing perfectly. I think I may have finally licked this issue. Thank goodness.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
Last 7 of VIN: 6997383
garagistic

Post by garagistic »

Thank you guys for the comments. We will work on making our instructions a little more clear. Here is a video of the installation process to help others (Its an e30 but the process is identical)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEIQVpXhJYo
kief

Post by kief »

Cool, thanks
garagistic

Post by garagistic »

Lots in stock.
garagistic

Post by garagistic »

Please leave a review on the website. Thanks!
garagistic

Post by garagistic »

Lots of these in stock!
87Shark

Post by 87Shark »

Went to the website thru the link. Clicked on bmw and Mercedes gears. What pops up...….page not found. Just an FYI.
'87 L6, Arctic White
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

https://store.garagistic.com/e24-odomet ... ption=true

That _should_ take you directly to the E24 gear sets.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
dmac156

Post by dmac156 »

Well I can't say that I'm a fan of the Garagistic gears at this point. Is odometergear.com a different company? Maybe I will buy gears from them.

I installed and removed my speedometer 4 times tonight. When I assemble the first gear everything is very smooth, but the time I get all the gears together they feel like they are binding, but it feels like it could work. It's pretty difficult to get the clear plastic cover back on, which provides support for the outboard side of the gear shaft. It's difficult because the posts are pushed out due to the pressure from the gears, which must be a little too big. By the time I get that on, the gears are pushing against each other hard. I am able to move the odometer by spinning the small white gear, but it has a lot of resistance. After all that, I get back in the car and the odometer does not even turn. Ugh.

One part of the design that I don't like is that the original gear has a shoulder on it, and this set does not. They include a yellow sleeve that you are supposed to put over the gear. That shoulder seems like an afterthought to make up for the case where the gear rises up and disengages (as described in an earlier post), but it should have been part of the gear itself, like the original gear. However I don't think it's tall enough to keep the gear from rising up and disengaging.

Very disappointed. Don't know if I should pull the old gears out of another speedo that I have, or roll the dice on a different brand.
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

I have for years "plugged" Jeff at odometer gears. His gears are machined rather than cast and are of ultra high quality. He is raved about in the e12 e28 communities. He can be reached by phone and is always more than glad to spend time when called. Are his gears more expensive then his competitor? Yes. But there is a reason. Need I say more?
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
dmac156

Post by dmac156 »

I ended up taking apart another speedometer that I had on the shelf, swapped the parts and everything worked perfectly (except that instead of having new gears, I now have 30 year old working gears). I checked the miles against a GPS app, and I was spot on.

Now after wasting an entire evening in the garage, another half hour reading through threads, and looking at all of my parts, I found out what was wrong. I was sent a 19/48 gear, and I should have been sent a 17/48. I guess the difference in the ratio is enough to change the location of the center point of the gear, which was deflecting the shaft (plus it would through off the readings), which makes it difficult to reinstall the cover.

My advice to anyone getting ready to do this job, If you have not pulled the speedometer before ordering, buy all of the gear combinations. Otherwise, assume your car is out of commission for a week while you figure out what gears you have, and wait for your shipment. Don't take the statement that "19 is the most common" to be true, it's a roll of the dice. The original gears have the gear ratio stamped on them, you don't have to count gears to determine which gears you have.
garagistic

Post by garagistic »

dmac156 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:20 pm I ended up taking apart another speedometer that I had on the shelf, swapped the parts and everything worked perfectly (except that instead of having new gears, I now have 30 year old working gears). I checked the miles against a GPS app, and I was spot on.

Now after wasting an entire evening in the garage, another half hour reading through threads, and looking at all of my parts, I found out what was wrong. I was sent a 19/48 gear, and I should have been sent a 17/48. I guess the difference in the ratio is enough to change the location of the center point of the gear, which was deflecting the shaft (plus it would through off the readings), which makes it difficult to reinstall the cover.

My advice to anyone getting ready to do this job, If you have not pulled the speedometer before ordering, buy all of the gear combinations. Otherwise, assume your car is out of commission for a week while you figure out what gears you have, and wait for your shipment. Don't take the statement that "19 is the most common" to be true, it's a roll of the dice. The original gears have the gear ratio stamped on them, you don't have to count gears to determine which gears you have.
That advice to buy them all is good advice to ensure to get the job done in one sitting. This is why we put to count your gears in multiple places on the listing. You were sent a 19t because you ordered a 19t. There are too many variations, hence the "buy all option". Sorry for your wasted evening, we try to make it as clear as possible.
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

I've installed Garagistic gears in 4 E30s and 2 E24s with no difficulty, and all worked perfectly, first try. To be honest I've never used Odometer Gears products. I'm sure they are excellent.
Last edited by hornhospital on Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken Kanne
dmac156

Post by dmac156 »

@Garagistic first of all, thanks for shipping out the other gear quickly and at a reasonable price. From what I've experienced and seen in this thread, you do respond quickly to customers, and take care of issues that are raised.

Second, with regards to the 19/48 being the most common, I'm curious if there is a different gear set for early vs. late e24s. The speedometers are completely different in appearance and size (perhaps they still have the same guts). It makes me wonder if the one appears to be more common is because people have had placed more orders for either the early, or late platform. The early e12 based car ran from '77- approx mid '82, the e28 based car ran from mid '82 or '83-89. The two speedos I have taken apart, my original from an '85 (the one I'm fixing), and one out of a scrap car from '86 both had 17/48. Makes me wonder if all e28 based speedos have the same gears.

@hornhospital - Honestly, I don't appreciate your comment, and don't find it constructive.
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Sorry you feel that way. I edited my posting to be more helpful and less harsh. I hope that is satisfactory to you.
Ken Kanne
dmac156

Post by dmac156 »

Thanks hornhospital.
87Shark

Post by 87Shark »

I know this is an older thread, so just curious...has Garagistic posted a new discount code for their odometer gears? Tried the one shown earlier in this thread and it seems to have expired. Thanks
'87 L6, Arctic White
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Try odometer gears.com Jeff Kaplan is a super guy and if you have a problem will walk you through it over the phone.
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
TimU

Post by TimU »

Is there any way to predict what tooth count my odo gears will have without pulling the thing apart to check?

1986 635CSI Australian Delivered.
VIN: wbaec620501887115

I'd rather order the parts first so I I only have to pull the dash apart once and have the car still functional in the meantime.
04/1986 635csi Euro spec
Australian Delivered, RHD
Jubilados

Post by Jubilados »

I got defectively designed gears from Garagistic last year.
The gears were made in a way that they could “walk” or slide laterally on the shafts.
So after assembly they worked for a couple of miles, until the gears walked and became disengaged.
Other than causing me to have to disassemble and reassemble a couple of times, I thought “no biggie, they’ll take care of this.”
Wow, was I wrong!
I carefully photo-documented the issue and emailed them.
The hell they put me through to get either a refund of my $25, or replacement gears, was truly shocking. Like nothing I ever seen in my 40 years of working on cars.
I ended up buying from Jeff at odometergears.com. His gears were flawless and of course still work almost a year later (I think they will last decades). Yes, they are more expensive, but the labor to do this job is more of the issue, esp. on our 35+ year old cars with plastic dash parts and circuit boards etc. You want to take it apart as little as possible.