Leather Dash Cover

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Hefeweizen

Leather Dash Cover

Post by Hefeweizen »

I am not advertising, just curious if any of you bought this leather dash cover and how it worked out?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/351531396889?ul_noapp=true
Rainer
03 330Xi (DD)
85 635CSi (RIP 3 May 19)
80 633CSi (Red Euro, Project)

"If you think a good European mechanic is expensive, try a bad one!"
Hefeweizen

Re: Leather Dash Cover

Post by Hefeweizen »

Forgot to mention that the ones they sell to the US are made for LHD
Rainer
03 330Xi (DD)
85 635CSi (RIP 3 May 19)
80 633CSi (Red Euro, Project)

"If you think a good European mechanic is expensive, try a bad one!"
wogden700

Post by wogden700 »

I'd be interested in something like that. My original Dash is in great shape but has two small cracks just starting. I'd like to protect it with something to prevent those from growing. I wonder how good it looks. It could look great it could look janky.
1985 635CSi Diamondblack/Llama
1991 750iL (sold)
emac

Post by emac »

Hello, new to this forum. I just purchased an 87 m6 that has leather dash issues and was wondering if anyone has used the ebay leather cover. I am not concerned with removing the dash, as I replaced the dash on an e28 m5 and dont recall it being too bad. Thank you.
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Lot of talk on various forums over the years about leather dash issues namely shrinkage. However almost all of them have had the dashes recovered by local upholstery shops which would seem to me to be the way to go and also make sure it was fitted good and proper
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
635sharknose

Post by 635sharknose »

I am working on a project with this eBay dash cover.
I choosed to turn the dash into a Highline / L6 model as I am also changing the rest of the car from type 2 US to type 3 Highline.
You can however also buy a cover for type 2.
You can see the progress I am making on this forum. I am not ready yet but have done some work already.
It's not an easy job, please be aware.

https://bmwe24.nl/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=32
Last edited by 635sharknose on Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
Instagram: @635sharknose
1987 635CSi Bronzitbeige
emac

Post by emac »

That looks great! I just picked up a used dash that I am going to restore with leather and then swap with my original leather dash that is warped. The warping seems to come from the leather shrinking. Same as you I am going to fill in the coin tray. A few questions if you have time:

- My original dash is a gray color that matches the rest of the interior, if yours is a similar gray do you recall what color you used from J-T? I am going to try and get some swatches from them.

- Did you completely remove the vent system? I had to remove mine to repair a few cracks in the plastic. What product did you use to reseal the vent to the dash? It is some kind of heavy duct mastic duct sealer.

- Would you consider doing a closely matching vinyl for durability?

I used bondo to fill in cracks, and will look for the foam you used to fill in the coin tray. What is the mounting kit you described? I didnt understand that.

Thank you, I think I am going to let a pro do the install and decide on buying a pre cut cover or make it himself. Thanks.
635sharknose

Post by 635sharknose »

Thanks Emac. Sure I am willing to share the experiences I have had.

I have used the leather with colour no. 60, this is black/grey.
They offer a lot of colours though. You can order samples through eBay.

I only removed the vents (3 on top and the adjustable ones). I did not remove the channels. So I had no issues with resealing the vents.

As far as I know the covers are not available in vinyl, only in leather. Why would you choose vinyl over leather? To extend the lifetime, I will protect it against the sun as good as possible. We do not have that much sun here so protecting it will not be that difficult. :|

Google translate translated the words incorrectly I see. To fill up the coin tray, I used expanding foam. I closed the remaining holes with assembly adhesive and used bondo to make the surface smooth.

If you are trying yourself, good luck, feel free to ask if you have any questions during the work.
Paul
1987 635CSi Bronzitbeige
emac

Post by emac »

Thanks, I am probably going to go with leather as that is the right way to do it. Plus, I dont plan on this car spending much time in the sun. I ordered a few samples, I didnt see #60 but I am going to see how 10 and 11 match.

When I started this, I was looking at $2500 for Just dashes to redo in vinyl, but it has come full circle and thanks to people on here I picked up a used dash with cracks for next to nothing. With a day of cleaning up and bondo it is looking like its going to turn out really nice for a decent cost. I will keep you posted on it goes. Thanks again.
635sharknose

Post by 635sharknose »

Sounds good Emac, very curious how it turns out!
It is quite a fun job, seeing that cracked up dash getting back in shape.

The prices for used mint dashboards are very high. And then still, who gives you the guarantee that it will not crack during or just after the install. They are all over 30 years old.
Paul
1987 635CSi Bronzitbeige
Dimi555

Post by Dimi555 »

The new dash looks really nice. Did you install it? Would like to see how it looks.

How did you get the little plastic screw covers out of the vent covers and were you able to find replacements?

I am missing one of the little covers and I feel like it's taunting me sometimes. Just staring at me when I drive.

I can't seem to find replacements.
635sharknose

Post by 635sharknose »

I got the plastic screw covers out by punching a small hole in them. I have not replaced them yet.
They can still be bought at BMW, it's part no. 64221370340.

1.jpg
1.jpg (359.59 KiB) Viewed 7536 times
Paul
1987 635CSi Bronzitbeige
anchored

Post by anchored »

I can not for the life of me find anyone in the Atlanta area to do a dashboard.
SHRKATK - Red 87' 635csi
jcburk

Post by jcburk »

I realize this is an old post, but I had contact info for a place on the west coast that did it, but pricey like $5K and that was a few years ago. If your interested I could dig it up.
John,

1987 M6 the project
1999 323i it needed a home
2002 Honda Insight (technically my son's)
2014 Fusion basic transportation
2014 Cmax energi
2017 C43 AMG
CSGuy
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by CSGuy »

635sharknose wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 2:08 pm I got the plastic screw covers out by punching a small hole in them. I have not replaced them yet.
They can still be bought at BMW, it's part no. 64221370340.

1.jpg
That looks great! I didn't realize they had the console covers too.
635sharknose

Post by 635sharknose »

Thanks! :D
Paul
1987 635CSi Bronzitbeige