My henna 84

Document your Sixer project here.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

TBM

Re: My henna 84

Post by TBM »

ericono wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:08 pm As always, some kick ass work going on here. I do have a few questions. Not clear on the tube in the plenum. Is the outside air coming into the plenum from the bottom and therefore going through the tube first in an effort to evenly fill the plenum and therefore evenly supply air to every cylinder or is the tube performing some other function? Are you getting rid of the AFM or MAF and running an Alpha N setup (sorry if you already said this earlier)?

Also, you may have already answered this but I forgot, does the early Mk60 run completely standalone or does it need to integrate with the Emtron to perform properly?

Thanks again for sharing, I love following the progress.

Eric
Thank you for the compliments!

The plenum isn't designed completely yet but I have included a hand drawn pic of the layout to give a better idea. The back portion of the airbox will need to be made to fit the front half, and it will feed the "manifold" that will hopefully distribute air more equally. I will run the engine on Crank, Cam , MAP and Lambda. The intake size would ideally be 6"-7" in diameter and taper down to increase velocity.

MK60: Can run alone with the correct Hookups and harness for ABS. I will be installing a yaw sensor and and steering angle sensor and will be able to run DSC and traction control through the Emtron along with the MK60.
Plenum layout sketch.jpeg
Plenum layout sketch.jpeg (124.94 KiB) Viewed 14615 times
Last edited by TBM on Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'84 M635csi
'86 Lotus esprit Turbo (sold)
GazM3

Post by GazM3 »

It looks like on the scetch that u are planning to use the oem panel filter box. If so U may/will need some sort of flex as the engine moves under acceleration.
BMW’s
84 E24 M635csi
90 E34 M5 3.6
94 E34 540i/6 SC E85
97 E36 M3 euro SC U/C
97 Z3 2.8 widebody

OTHERS
11 Audi S5 3.0 SC
19 VW Amarok V6
TBM

Post by TBM »

GazM3 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:26 pm It looks like on the scetch that u are planning to use the oem panel filter box. If so U may/will need some sort of flex as the engine moves under acceleration.
Correct.. I am remaking the foam from the airbox which will change on the engine side to the plenum, hopefully this week. Once everything is mocked up I will know where I need create a playable connection.
'84 M635csi
TBM

Quick update

Post by TBM »

I needed a Crank position sensor. I was encouraged to buy one from VAC as they have a kit for the S14. I wanted something that fit the OEM bracket that is also adjustable. The VAC unit is +$200 use for the sensor, as the kit is made for the S14 it wont work on the S38 as far as I know..

I found that ZF (formerly Cherry) makes the same hall sensor without the terminated end (which I don't need anyway) and it works just like I wanted it to and it only cost $24!
ZF CPS.jpeg
ZF CPS.jpeg (1.73 MiB) Viewed 14566 times
'84 M635csi
ericono

Post by ericono »

Looking good, do you have a part number for that? Also, are you going to a later S38 harmonic balancer, or something else?

Thanks,

Eric
'85 M635, '00 528iT, '98 Z3
TBM

Post by TBM »

This is the part I used:
https://www.hawkusa.com/sites/hawk-dev. ... GS1005.pdf

I am trying to go a different harmonic balancer that will fit on the flywheel but if I stay on the front piece I am trying to go for a piece called the Sterling Rattler from a company called Vibration free in the UK.
'84 M635csi
TBM

Crank position sensor retainer

Post by TBM »

The OEM bracket is working out but I needed to make sure that the Sensor can be held in place and be adjusted. I designed a piece that will mount on the top of the bracket and be held by a screw into the OEM piece.
OEM Bracket .JPG
OEM Bracket .JPG (1.12 MiB) Viewed 14501 times
CPS reatiner 1.png
CPS reatiner 1.png (358.83 KiB) Viewed 14501 times
CPS Retainer 2.png
CPS Retainer 2.png (168.39 KiB) Viewed 14501 times
Attachments
Mock up .png
Mock up .png (218.72 KiB) Viewed 14499 times
'84 M635csi
TBM

Getting there

Post by TBM »

Well Gents (and ladies)

Making good progress on the Variable stacks...
Varible stacks 1.jpeg
Varible stacks 1.jpeg (115.79 KiB) Viewed 14446 times
Variable stacks4.jpeg
Variable stacks4.jpeg (86.62 KiB) Viewed 14446 times
Variable Stacks 2.jpeg
Variable Stacks 2.jpeg (73.33 KiB) Viewed 14446 times
Variable stacks 3.jpeg
Variable stacks 3.jpeg (68.05 KiB) Viewed 14446 times
'84 M635csi
TBM

Post by TBM »

I finally got something "almost"done, as i need to finish the edges and maybe use some heat to make the Titanium (bracket) gold in color... Maybe not... :-k .... I don't want it to look garish.
Valave cover Coil Bracket 1.jpg
Valave cover Coil Bracket 1.jpg (625.65 KiB) Viewed 14168 times
Valve cover Coil bracket 2.jpg
Valve cover Coil bracket 2.jpg (1.29 MiB) Viewed 14168 times
'84 M635csi
DrTwincam

Post by DrTwincam »

This is some very nice work. I'm curious as to how you are going to mechanically actuate the variable length intake? Likewise, the input for same, ie, load, rpm, etc? Have you considered, based on manifold pressure, any intake swirl manipulation? Again, very nice work here and following closely. Forgive me if explained earlier, what management system are you going to use?
2012 X5M
1985 635CSI
1961 R69S
TBM

Post by TBM »

DrTwincam wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:30 am This is some very nice work. I'm curious as to how you are going to mechanically actuate the variable length intake? Likewise, the input for same, ie, load, rpm, etc? Have you considered, based on manifold pressure, any intake swirl manipulation? Again, very nice work here and following closely. Forgive me if explained earlier, what management system are you going to use?
HI,

I'm using an Emtron KV8 for the standalone. I chose it based on recommendations from a few tuners and the fact that its firmware is so well developed without "add-ons" for every complex feature I wanted to have access to.
The Emtron will control the variable length runners based on RPM. That will be tuned based on Dyno numbers and a formula that calculates waves speed for the "supercharging effect". I may still have a MAF in the end. But that depends on the final design on the plenum. It's all still in the works.

Thanks you for all the compliments.
'84 M635csi
TBM

Post by TBM »

[*] I'm curious as to how you are going to mechanically actuate the variable length intake?[*]

Sorry, I don't think I quite answered that question:

There is a NEMA 17 motor that is driving a pulley and a Kevlar belt to move the runners up and down. ...also using a NEMA 17 stepper motor on back plate to actuate the final lift and separation..
'84 M635csi
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

to actuate the final lift and separation..
Sheesh, sounds more like a ad for an underwire bra #-o

You can see the stepper motor in the CAD drawings, smack dab in the middle =D>

This is some seriously impressive work, can't wait to hear the final results [-o<

Great work and documentation TBM, keep up the good work \:D/
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
TBM

Post by TBM »

I recently saw a few posts between here and Bimmerpost about replacing the door stops. The problem is the Pin removal.. Sooo a little web search and a week later I got the tool from an online antique FORD truck parts shop. The tool works perfectly.. Came with different length and diameter pins.. Both sides are done and the door creaks less although I need to attack the hinge pins as well in the future..
Removing Pin .JPG
Removing Pin .JPG (963.42 KiB) Viewed 14043 times
Hinge pin removal 2.JPG
Hinge pin removal 2.JPG (1.87 MiB) Viewed 14043 times
Hinge pin removal 3.JPG
Hinge pin removal 3.JPG (1.66 MiB) Viewed 14043 times
Hinge pin removal tool .JPG
Hinge pin removal tool .JPG (1.1 MiB) Viewed 14043 times
Last edited by TBM on Mon May 06, 2019 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
'84 M635csi
TBM

Post by TBM »

Continued..
Removal tool pins used .JPG
Removal tool pins used .JPG (1.06 MiB) Viewed 14043 times
Door Stop New and Old .JPG
Door Stop New and Old .JPG (1.08 MiB) Viewed 14043 times
Door stop done 1.JPG
Door stop done 1.JPG (1.05 MiB) Viewed 14043 times
'84 M635csi
TBM

Post by TBM »

I bought an extra OBC because my old one's buttons were a little worn..
But it got me thinking that I really want to convert the OBC to a capacitive touch screen and use it as an info center that will work with my standalone.. I have been talking to a few people and it turns out I'll probably need to use an Arduino and a have someone program some python to make it all work. I intend to have the home screen look just like the buttons on the OBC and make them function the same way but will want warnings such as water temp, oil pressure and temp etc show up when they need tending... Will have the plastic that holds the radio and OBC redone as I will probably swap the locations of the two with the OBS being closer to the driver..
OBC's .JPG
OBC's .JPG (1 MiB) Viewed 14041 times
Last edited by TBM on Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
'84 M635csi
AlexTheBeaner

Post by AlexTheBeaner »

TBM wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 4:20 am I bought an extra OBC because my old one's buttons were a little worn..
But it got me thinking that I really want to convert the OBC to a capacitive touch screen and use it as an info center that will work with my standalone.. I have been talking to a few people and it turns out I'll probably need to use an Arduino and a have someone program some python to make it all work. I intend to have the home screen look just like the buttons on the OBC and make them function the same way but will want oil warnings such as water temp, oil pressure and temp etc show up when they need tending... Will have the plastic that holds the radio and OBC redone as I will probably swap the locations of the two with the OBS being closer to the driver..

OBC's .JPG
I always thought this would be cool to replace the OBC but I'm assuming it's too big for the slot. Blackberrys still have that retro look and I think it would suit well with the dashboard and center console.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYMAC2ndR_E
TBM

Post by TBM »

I wanted to make sure I had some choices when it comes to the heater valve.. I don't like BMW''s pricing and potential NLA scenario...

I finally got to making the E46 heater valve bracket for the E46 heater valve. If you remember in a previous post with a pic of the a finish engine bay I pointed to the old heater valve location being in the way of the plenum.

Designed on CAD and waterjet cut form Stainless (had some laying around)

Need to bend the ends to about 70 Deg on the first notch and 90 on the second and make some holes one each ear to mount to firewall.

The finish isn't final as I may paint it.. I will decide later.

The routing of the hoses will be tricky as I don't want multiple connections. That's next on the list... OH and the feed and return lines are opposite on the E46 valve.. as has been pointed out on another forum...
bracket only.JPG
bracket only.JPG (822.46 KiB) Viewed 13946 times
front.JPG
front.JPG (909.74 KiB) Viewed 13946 times
rough back.JPG
rough back.JPG (894.15 KiB) Viewed 13946 times
with 220grit finish.jpg
with 220grit finish.jpg (1.24 MiB) Viewed 13946 times
'84 M635csi
TBM

Throttle stack lift motor

Post by TBM »

Just finished designing and printing the housing that will attach to the back of the plenum plate, that houses the Yamaha YCCI motor. It has 90deg of max motion and will do nicely. We plan on lifting the entire assembly about 2" away from the ports on the back plates. We once again printed using NylonX. very light and strong.

Now its on to finishing the assembly and checking that it all moves as intended with the stepper motor, limit switches and this motor....
Separation motor 1.jpeg
Separation motor 1.jpeg (262.12 KiB) Viewed 13910 times
Separation motor 2.jpeg
Separation motor 2.jpeg (233.63 KiB) Viewed 13910 times
Separation motor 3.jpeg
Separation motor 3.jpeg (315.51 KiB) Viewed 13910 times
'84 M635csi
jps635
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jps635 »

Really impressed with your engineerings kills.

Regarding the variable stacks and excuse me if you've already covered this - what triggers the adjustment and how responsive will they be?
'85 635csi JPS (RA2-66)
TBM

Post by TBM »

jps635 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 6:12 am Really impressed with your engineerings kills.

Regarding the variable stacks and excuse me if you've already covered this - what triggers the adjustment and how responsive will they be?
:oops: I really wish I can take all the credit for this work... I am the idea man and do some of the design work you see..I designed a portion of the pieces in CAD that I only just learned, but I have people's help. I come up with what I want and to my surprise my ideas usually work better than the engineer friend that printed that piece. So I am quite proud of that.

Re: "triggers the adjustment"- The movement will be based on calculations of sound wave speed and valve timing. The higher the RPM the shorter the length of tract as the waves travel faster and need a shorter distance in order to reach the back of the valve to bounce off and return while "supercharging the air.
So to the point, the EMTRON ecu will control all of that. The speed is based on the NEMA 17 motor and I don't remember how quickly it moves the length but it's pretty fast... Once we test I will know if I need to spend more money on a linear motor ( I hope not)..The faster the car will build RPM's the faster the motor needs to respond.
Below is a link to a youtube video that shows an extreme Linmot actuator in action on motorcycle motor built by students: "a formula student race car with a suzuki gsxr 600 engine"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZhSgwY ... gs=pl%2Cwn
'84 M635csi
TBM

More progress

Post by TBM »

We are finally making more progress with the assembly and output of parts. Whomever painted a Rosy picture of 3d printing is wring. We waited over 4 months for Dow to "perfect" their support materials for NylonX and still the parts came out a bit scraggly... I'll probably finish them a little with glue, primer and paint since I'm anal.. :roll:

I hope to have it all mocked up by end of month and hook it up to a controller to see how it all functions..
Brackets 1.jpeg
Brackets 1.jpeg (109.73 KiB) Viewed 13766 times
Brackets 2.jpeg
Brackets 2.jpeg (114.22 KiB) Viewed 13766 times
Brackets with Motor.jpeg
Brackets with Motor.jpeg (113 KiB) Viewed 13766 times
Intakes wtih brackets.jpeg
Intakes wtih brackets.jpeg (193.68 KiB) Viewed 13766 times
'84 M635csi
TBM

More pieces

Post by TBM »

The connection between the Yamaha motor and the entire assembly is basically done.

a few odds and ends to complete but nothing major at this point.
Fulcrum connection pieces.jpeg
Fulcrum connection pieces.jpeg (189.13 KiB) Viewed 13733 times
Lift system connected 1.jpeg
Lift system connected 1.jpeg (154.17 KiB) Viewed 13733 times
'84 M635csi