OBC Questions

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

randall977

OBC Questions

Post by randall977 »

I have a UK 85 M635...

I removed some aftermarket audio wiring from under the dash and found that the red/green wires which supply power to the radio, interior lights etc had all been messed with - I repaired and re-joined them all and everything worked...apart from the OBC display - illuminated but no LCD.

Then, a few days later the car wouldn't start, I fiddled with various wires and then it started and ran fine - not sure what I did. I tapped the OBC relay while the car was running to see if the display would come back - it didn't but the car did stall. Is this just because I'm disturbing the immobiliser relay? Is the loss of display just coincidence?

I really need a spare OBC to test with, a new relay is £80, not too bad but I don't want to replace it for nothing. Thanks for any help!
TBM

Re: OBC Questions

Post by TBM »

Randall,

in case you need a new LCD screen: https://www.ebay.com/itm/LCD-Repair-Dis ... Sw1Udc0qvN
'84 M635csi
'86 Lotus esprit Turbo (sold)
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Thank you for that link! I'm going to be the guinea pig. I ordered a repair kit for one of the small OBCs (in my E30). If it works (in other words, if I don't screw it up) I'll get one for the OBC in my 633. Amazingly, the OBC in my far more abused 635 still works!
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
randall977

Post by randall977 »

Thanks, it might come to that but I don't to go down that route if that's not the problem. It did work...
randall977

Post by randall977 »

Did some more investigation into the lack of OBC display today. Wiring looks okay, can't find a fault - the backlight functions but no LCD characters at all. I can get a new display as TBM's link, but do displays loose their LCD totally and suddenly like this? Is the OBC display the same on an E30? I can get a spare for an E30 quite easily...
Candycj1

Post by Candycj1 »

Randall - i have a spare working OBC I can lend you for the cost of return postage to rule out a fault with the unit. Usually the screen goes dark (light board replacement) or it bleeds (screen replacement) - yours could be a wiring fault or a problem with the unit. PM me if interested...

Cheers
James
randall977

Post by randall977 »

Thanks to James for lending me his OBC. When I plugged it in it worked fine. It seems like quite a common fault that the display goes blank - I think it's the electronics in this instance. Got a used replacement on it's way, you can actually still buy them new for around £500.
K1W1

Post by K1W1 »

I'm hoping I'm as lucky. Am picking up a secondhand one when back in the US later this month, along with replacement screen and LED bulbs in case its either of them. Last thing on the current to-do-list.
# 328 RHD M635csi 1986 Dinan 3.8
Jensen Interceptor Convertible 1976
TBM

Post by TBM »

Anyone needing a euro OBC I have an extra one.
'84 M635csi
'86 Lotus esprit Turbo (sold)