New Leather For the '79 Euro - Pictures

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Slownrusty Online

New Leather For the '79 Euro - Pictures

Post by Slownrusty »

It certainly takes a certain level of dedication, patience and passion (not too mention $$) to keep these old cars running well and looking great. So with that being said, I decided to address the ratty torn interior of my '79 Euro. I took the plunge and recovered the interior in leather and where it was possible to save some of the leather, it was saved and re-dyed. The front seats were covered in 100% new leather and what a difference it has made.

Well worth the investment.

Before:

After:

More to come soon!
Enjoy the pictures.
Yasin
Yasin

"ole skool, I wouldn't have it any other way"
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: New Leather For the '79 Euro - Pictures

Post by hornhospital »

Oh, MY! =D>
Did you do it yourself, buy a kit, or what?
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

And, the most important question, how many of those $ did you have to part with, if you don't mind divulging :-k

Agree with Ken however, outstanding results =D>
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
Slownrusty Online

Post by Slownrusty »

hornhospital wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:14 pm Oh, MY! =D>
Did you do it yourself, buy a kit, or what?
I've done a fair bit of leather work before by myself (at home - self taught) but this time around I hired someone that came recommended and he has the tools to actually die the leather and also the industrial sewing machine with the heavier needles to stich in the piping (which I do not own). His work definitely speaks for itself.
Yasin

Slownrusty Online

Post by Slownrusty »

GRNSHRK wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:21 pm And, the most important question, how many of those $ did you have to part with, if you don't mind divulging :-k

Agree with Ken however, outstanding results =D>
Typically its $750 per seat, to completely re-cover the leather on this '79. To give you an idea of magnitude of cost the front and rear seats, door cards, headliner etc would easily run $3,000+. Fortunately, the rear seats are quite decent (not brittle cardboard), so I am able to save most of the leather and re-dye them. But I am having quite a few seats on other cars I own re-covered in new leather, so I was able to work out a discount based on the volume of work. More pictures to come.
Yasin

bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Nothing like being in Phoenix with low labor costs. Front Recarros and rear seats all done in Napa leather $850 complete. Headliner from GAHH $175 plus local installation cost of $125. Local carpet cost $325 installed complete dashboard remold by Dashboards USA $650 plus $65 shipping each way. They are no longer in business. Maybe because of their prices?? Dashboard looks as good if not better than original if that's possible. B columns done in Napa leather by me at no cost as upholsterer gave me leftovers which were enough to cover them. Rear headrests cost me $50 for the leather and another $65 for the upholsterer to sew them.
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
Slownrusty Online

Post by Slownrusty »

The rear seats were re-done this week and re-installed this afternoon, they came out great. I kick myself for not taking a before picture, but they were bad.

But look great now!
Yasin

zinnocoupe

Post by zinnocoupe »

Very nice job on the seats. That blue looks very nice. I'd love to see pics of the completed interior. And pics of the car. I don't think I've seen pics of your car posted on the forum previously? Or I missed them.
1979 Euro 635ci no longer a basketcase, just a running rust bucket!
1977 530i Partially restored and running now!
1987 635csi 60K KM Garage Queen