Spark Plug Wire Set

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

gilach

Spark Plug Wire Set

Post by gilach »

Need help ordering the correct ignition/spark plug wire set for my 1981 633csi Euro. My distributor accepts female type connections, however when i order new wires, i get the male type. Please see attached photo for more details.
Attachments
1981 Ignition Wires.JPG
1981 Ignition Wires.JPG (90.15 KiB) Viewed 5712 times
gilach

Re: Spark Plug Wire Set

Post by gilach »

The set of wires currently on the car are PVL's.
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

you are sort of correct. However the ignition parts used on US-spec 633CSi are identical to those used on Euro spec cars.

Eh?

Let me explain; the dates at which the change was made from L-jet to motronic were different depending on the market the car was made for.

US-spec 633CSi changed from L-jet to Motronic in sept '81.

However Euro-spec 633CSI were all motronic from 1979.

So for several years Euro 633CSi was completely different to US-spec 633CSi. You can verify the date ranges using an online ETK such as realoem or BMWfans.

To be absolutely sure you need to know the exact manufacturing date of your car and the date range that the same parts were fitted to US spec models, if you want to get the correct parts from a US distributor (who "only knows" about US spec cars)

So if you have a Euro spec 633CSi built around that time it will have motronic fuelling. And that version of motronic ignition didn't change again until 1984.

Even though motronic cars were being built for and sold in the US market in 1981, they would (somewhat nonsensically) be referred to as '82 models.

I think you are being sold parts for '81 models, which fit L-jet ignition systems, and that if you simply tell your supplier that you " have an '82 " you will get the correct motronic parts.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
zinnocoupe

Post by zinnocoupe »

Great info Brucey
1979 Euro 635ci no longer a basketcase, just a running rust bucket!
1977 530i Partially restored and running now!
1987 635csi 60K KM Garage Queen
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Contact Kingsborne Wires. You can google him. Makes the best wiring sets going at fair prices and knows what he is doing. He is located in California and you can find him with google.
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
gilach

Post by gilach »

all, thank you for your replies. Brucey, much appreciate the clarification, i had a feeling that I needed a wire set for a different year/model, but you have clarified for me. Let me order/find a set and will update this post to confirm.
gilach

Post by gilach »

Thank you bpoliakoff for your suggestion.
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

I'll second the Kingsborne recommendation. Just to be safe, before ordering I'd give them a call and explain what you've got. Here's the link:

http://www.kingsbornewires.com/#
1985 635CSi
1987 535is
1965 Impala SS
EmperorNero

Post by EmperorNero »

gilach wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:38 pm Need help ordering the correct ignition/spark plug wire set for my 1981 633csi Euro. My distributor accepts female type connections, however when i order new wires, i get the male type. Please see attached photo for more details.
I have an 82 633csi and have the wires on the right. order for an 82 and you should get what you need. those of us with 81/82 cars have to deal with all kinds of weird stuff like this.
1982 633csi, Alpine White, build date 11/81. Wiring harness has been consumed by rabbits.
2009 Lincoln Town Car, manual swapped
2022 Camaro SS 1LE
gilach

Post by gilach »

Folks, wanted to provide an update. I ordered ignition wires for a 1982 and they fit my Euro 1981 perfectly. =D> Yeeehaw!!!!! Thanks to everyone that helped me out.

I'm assuming that I should do the same when ordering the cap and rotor. Thanks in advance.

best, Paul.