AC blower refresh

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

rrrs

AC blower refresh

Post by rrrs »

Hi, I had to disassemble my center console in order to reach floor pan and now, before closing all back together was wondering if there might be things worth replacing just to avoid having to open this again.
My AC does not work and has no charge, so was thinking of taking out the AC blower/evaporator assembly and replace dis-integrated foam that seals top of assembly against the top duct.
As wall was wondering if there are any other inexpensive components that would be worth replacing; seems that expansion valve would be suspect?
rrrs

Re: AC blower refresh

Post by rrrs »

Hi, got no comments, so, getting ready to put all back together.
What is the opinion, should I replace the Expansion Valve, just in case, or should hope the original one will be fine?
There is no charge in the system now, so no issue with loosing the gas....
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

If I had one apart I'd darn sure change the expansion valve. It's too common a failure point to reuse the old one.

My two cents worth.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
rrrs

Post by rrrs »

Thanks, will do so, already ordered one.
rrrs

Post by rrrs »

Removed my evaporator in order to change the expansion valve and found a loose plastic flap down in the cavity.
It must be one of the air-control flaps that got loose and somehow fell down.
Now that I got central console and AC unit out what is the best way to aces and check/repair my air-distribution flaps/controls?
There is a duct under the dash into which AC unit "slides-up-in" which seems pretty loose but I am not sure if this is supposed to come out down; just afraid not to break some plastic parts...
Should air control parts/flaps/cables be accessible from here or I need to come from somewhere else?

I checked on Real OEM diagram showing those 3 flaps, but can not really figure out exactly where they are located and how to reach this assembly?

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=64_0513
rrrs

Re: Help to identify this part

Post by rrrs »

I checked all my air-control flaps and all six are in place and working, so this is not one of them, as I initially thought.
Here are the photos; I found this part loose in AC evaporator cavity and really can not find any place this would be missing.
On one side it has a soft liner (similar as inside glove box) and there are some glue residue around the edge, looking as if it was glued to some other part.
IMG_8536.jpg
IMG_8536.jpg (117.63 KiB) Viewed 6908 times
IMG_8537.jpg
IMG_8537.jpg (113.36 KiB) Viewed 6908 times
Please if someone could recognize this and let me know where it should belong.

Tanks a lot!
rrrs

Post by rrrs »

Is there no one that could help identify this part?
Is it possible that it does not belong to ventilation system; should I just put all back together not worrying about this?
bigboystoy

Post by bigboystoy »

That's a flap from the fresh air/air conditioned divider. Mine broke a pin and ended up in the bottom of the evapoartor just like yours.

Before putting the evap unit back in, stick your hear under the dash and look up. You should see this if one of the flaps is missing.
Missing flap
Missing flap
Flapper.jpg (76.08 KiB) Viewed 6757 times
Good luck.
Past toys:
1979 Volvo282GT
1988 Porsche 944S
Current toy:
1986 635 CSi
rrrs

Post by rrrs »

Great, all clear, this is what it is!
Both of mine are "broken off"; seems they got a tiny plastic pins sticking on each side and both have this broken on one of the sides....
Will try to see how to repair/replace them; how did you fix yours?