Thermostat and Pulse Generator(camshaft sensor)??

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

85MSteinway

Thermostat and Pulse Generator(camshaft sensor)??

Post by 85MSteinway »

Two questions: First one is the thermostat. I only have a 5 series Bentley and for the 535, which has a thermostat housing that looks like my L6, says to replace the O-ring AND the gasket. However, I didn't have a gasket, just the 0-ring. I wasn't leaking from the housing at all, very dry. Should I only replace the O-ring or is there supposed to be a gasket as well? Autozone lists a gasket and o-ring and has both in stock, but Autozone being Autozone sometimes things just aren't right.

Second Question, in the process of removing the thermostat I broke one of the brittle connections to the wiring harness. It is mounted near the thermostat and valve cover with a wire that runs down below. looking at realoem I think it may be pulse generator? I need to follow wire down low but its currently very wet underneath because of radiator flush. Pic included. Can anyone confirm before I spend/waste 80 dollars?

I jammed the 3 prongs in to the harness and wrapped with electricians tape. Unsure if that will work while waiting for part
L6
85 M635
85MSteinway

Re: Thermostat and Pulse Generator(camshaft sensor)??

Post by 85MSteinway »

Ok this is where the wire leads:

looks like a sensor pointing at the pulley or vibration damper?
L6
85 M635
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

It's helpful if you put your car details in your signature. See below. It looks like the pulse sensor that feeds the diagnostic plug, and this is not needed for the engine to run.
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
85MSteinway

Post by 85MSteinway »

baders wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:49 pm It's helpful if you put your car details in your signature.
Never been much in to flexing a sig file, I understand it can be useful though I did specify L6 in the post, I'll add to my sig. Thanks. Trying to keep the car as orginal and clean as possible outside of recent brake upgrade so would like to replace the part. bubble gum and black tape can only be temporary for me.

I think it is part 12141730773. according to realoem.com it is a "pulse generator" and that part number on some of the popular parts websites list as camshaft position sensor and the pictures do not look like the part I'm looking at on my L6 nor on realoem
L6
85 M635
85MSteinway

Post by 85MSteinway »

well, I think I solved the broken part question. 12521287784 is a crankshaft sensor, not camshaft sensor. Mine disintegrated at the connection in to a thousand pieces when I gave it a strong look with my eyes slightly squinted. Not excited about the prices I'm seeing but seems an important part. As for the thermostat gasket??? I'm just going to do the O-ring and see how that goes.
L6
85 M635
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

As before, this sensor is not needed for the engine to run. It simply reports it's signal to the diagnostic plug.
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

baders wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:45 am As before, this sensor is not needed for the engine to run. It simply reports it's signal to the diagnostic plug.
yep, you can take this sensor and chuck it in the bin if you like; it only does anything useful when (if) someone plugs in a (now antique) BMW service computer into your car.

Re the thermostat/housing. There are two types and for a long time now you have only been able to buy the later sort, which uses a different thermostat and only seals with an 'o' ring not a gasket. IIRC one type of housing has an 'A' on it and that is the later sort. There are lots of older cars floating around with replacement housings on and unless you know and understand this, you can end up trying to fit the wrong thermostat in the car, which may cause all kinds of problems.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~