Should I repair or reupholster my front seats?

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

dprs

Should I repair or reupholster my front seats?

Post by dprs »

Hi!

I am about to do something about my worn front seats but cant decide which way to go. Should I repair or should I simply order new seat covers? Think the seats looks fair apart from some holes and cracks. The leather are really dry but thats probably fixable. Please help me decide :-?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6xPZHngtZ8fpm2S68

Thanks
Daniel
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Should I repair or reupholster my front seats?

Post by bpoliakoff »

New for sure. Do it once, do it right
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

Depends if your a hands on type of guy Daniel.
If not, give them to a trimmer and pay him handsomely.
If so then they are only marginally worse than the ones I am restoring.
I prefer to restore than replace where viable .
The side bolsters are beyond saving but their removal is well within the capabilities of any eager enthusiast. Once removed they are easily replicated by any trimming shop.You can also buy "off the peg " replacement sections too.
The seat and back facings look serviceable after a thorough clean and feed.
The new versus old colour will differ which will require dying the original to match the new after filling any cracks.
If you look at my project thread it may help you.There is a link to a video showing how straight forward it is to dismantle them.
I have been fèeding the original leather of mine for a week now and the difference is quite amazing .
Alternatively purchase a full retrim kit and do it yourself.
The decision is down to you ,your capabilities and any time constraints that apply.
"you pays your money and takes your choice ".
Good luck.
Don
1981 635 series 1
brickwhite

Post by brickwhite »

I used the Lseat.com covers for $350 and did my own.

Not the original type leather or may not be leather at all.. but they looked great in my e28.

https://www.lseat.com/products/1983-198 ... front.html
- 12 535i
- 92 325ic
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

If you are going to go pre sewn, Check the covers carefully and make sure the number of pleats in the seat and the back match yours or it's a waste of money. I can see that your seats are BMW sport seats , and as such, they have 5 pleats where most of the inexpensive replacements covers only have
2-3. Interesting side note is Recarro's have 7. Being that you do have sport seats, and they are desirable, as I said, do it once do it right but I guess that's up to you . Look on USA Ebay for a seller named zoomzoomzooming. He makes a high quality replacement cover in either leather or plastic
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
dprs

Post by dprs »

Hi!

Wow, thanks for all the inputs! Really appreciated :D

Been thinking about this Alot as you can tell. Even spoke to my wife about it but she didnt really understand my problem, put a blanket over them she said :shock: :D ... In a normal world with normal people owning the car that would be an ideal solution but you now how it goes... Anyway...

Reading your post I come to the conclusion to replace them. Its the most cost versus result efficient way I guess...

Would really love to keep the originals but they are in such a bad shape and I am worried about how thin and dry the original leather is. Its an Californinan car from the beginning so the sun has taken its toll. Then I worry about the filler used to fill the cracks and holes, some say it holds while others dont? A bit confusing and I rather do it once than do it twice so to speak.

I will have a look at the zoom guy page and the lseat covers.

Thanks again! Will come back with more concerns in the future, be aware!

Happy christmas and a Happy New Year!!

Daniel
brickwhite

Post by brickwhite »

https://youtu.be/VrdwCoTy1i0

Here is a great video on doing sport seats
- 12 535i
- 92 325ic
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Daniel, also google GAHH they also make very hi quality replacement covers and you will notice they even specify number of pleats Them and zoom will be in the same price range. I had my seats done locally but did buy my headliner from GAHH and was very pleased with it and as I said they make a top quality product
gug

Post by gug »

If you have the funds replace them. I had similar wear, cracks tears on my sport seats. Being the repair kits were so cheap I repaired them. Not perfect but worlds better than the condition they were in.

Once I finish sorting out all my mechanicals and paint I will get them reupholstered.