Bmw sound system speakers upgrade help

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

rs6

Bmw sound system speakers upgrade help

Post by rs6 »

Hello guys,

The story goes like that: Last year I purchased the car. The rear shelf had terrible pods and some aftermarket speakers which were terrible.
So the pods and speakers went directly to the trash including custom made wires.
Today I found out that my car still have original wires which looks like that

Somehow I found the upgraded or USA spec only? BMW sound system speakers which looks much much better. I believe compared to todays system they s**k a lot but I'm not upgrading them as I wan't oem look. Those speakers have different wires which is normal. I just want to know if there is any DIY or what do I need that this will work?
New speakers:

Thanks! I believe someone did that already 8)
tmoretta

Re: Bmw sound system speakers upgrade help

Post by tmoretta »

I have a pair of those speakers (5 inch only not the tweeters) if anyone wants them cheap. I replaced them with Alpines and frankly they sound no better.
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

You can greatly improve sound from the rear if you fab up a new base plate from some pressboard, and install a pair of 6X9's instead. Practically any brand will give you WAY more bottom end. I am partial to Pioneer for 6X9's.

To make things much nicer, also replace your door tweeters with some good reference grade units.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
jevans

Post by jevans »

I used some JBL Club 5000c's for the rear. They bolt right into the existing frames and provide
a huge improvement in sound over the original speakers. As close to original as you're likely to get.
I also used some JBL CLub 6420's (4X6) for the front kick panels, and a Continental TR7412UB-OR
for the head unit. The Continental unit looks almost original (black with white lettering) and the
lighting is a soft orange, closely matching the car. Overall, I am very pleased with this solution.

John