Block Drain Plug Questions

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

patmilio22

Block Drain Plug Questions

Post by patmilio22 »

Hi everyone -

I recently picked up an '84 633csi. As this is my first post, I wanted to say thanks to this community as the information here has been invaluable so far. With the help of the tech articles here (and a Bentley) I have repaired a non-op heater/AC system, addressed all of my instrument cluster issues, and diagnosed/replaced various malfunctioning sensors.
I'm currently replacing the waterpump/thermostat/coolant hoses (and obviously going to do a flush) but ran into an issue with what I thought was the coolant drain plug on the block.

I removed a bolt with a 19mm head from the front of the block on the passenger side of the car.
To my surprise the bolt shot out (I am still trying to find it) and in its place was a spring and another steel piece. No coolant came out, but there was about a 1/2 ounce of oil that dripped out. I included a few pics of the mystery parts and was hoping someone would be able to help identify them so I can find the correct bolt (if I can't find mine) and properly reinstall everything.

Thanks

-Patrick
Attachments
IMG_1328.jpg
IMG_1328.jpg (55.03 KiB) Viewed 4912 times
IMG_1327.jpg
IMG_1327.jpg (96.65 KiB) Viewed 4912 times
1984 633csi
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Block Drain Plug Questions

Post by ron »

They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
patmilio22

Post by patmilio22 »

Thank you Ron!
Would you recommend adding some oil to the piston/spring/ball assembly when reinstalling?
1984 633csi
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

patmilio22 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:39 pm Thank you Ron!
Would you recommend adding some oil to the piston/spring/ball assembly when reinstalling?
Just a small quantity. It will quickly fill with oil on start-up.
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
Drew

Post by Drew »

You'll have worked out that this was the timing chain tensioner!! Coolant drain is much further back on the block, hidden from view from the top by the exhaust manifold

If you want to reduce risk of the chain slipping on start up, after you've found the parts and buttoned the tensioner assembly up again, take the valve cover off and dribble oil down the inside of the timing cover to fill the "pocket" in which the tensioner piston sits. Then use a long screwdriver to pump the plastic tensioner rail back and forth (and refill the oil pocket as you go). This is pumping oil into the tensioner piston. Tensioner should form up quite quickly. Doesn't need to be rock solid, just not flappy

This may be overkill, but I personally wouldn't risk starting the engine with an empty chain tensioner. The spring is there also, however is that enough....?

And make sure the ball (part 3) is still inside the piston. Should be able to feel something moving when you shake it
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

Thanks for the in depth reply, Drew. Good to have you back.
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

The Bentley has the proper steps necessary to restore the tensioner oil charge that Drew describes. You should change the crush washer also - actually the largest one of the crush washers in a typical Mahle oil filter kit

The block drain is to the rear of the motor, passenger side, under the exhaust manifold. It could be plugged with years of accumulated junk that you’ll have to poke through. I’ve had one I needed to use a drill bit to get cleaned out

Agreed, good to see Drew back

Ralph
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
Drew

Post by Drew »

...never went away

:roll:
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Well, you hadn't posted since July of last year, so.....
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
patmilio22

Post by patmilio22 »

Thanks for all the help everyone.
I ordered a new bearing, spring, washer, and bolt for the assembly (figured the piston was ok to reuse). For $12 total I think it will be worth it. I will also take Drew's advice and consult the Bentley for the complete procedure for the tensioner oil change. I did locate the coolant drain plug - pretty gunked up in there but with a little help from a small screwdriver I was able to get the coolant out.
1984 633csi