Big Clunk when trying to start

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

88m6shark

Big Clunk when trying to start

Post by 88m6shark »

Having issues trying to start up. car wouldnt crank over. then tried letting the fuel pressure build after cranking over a bunch of times. when i did that, just heard a big "clunk". nothing more than that. no trying to catch fire, just clunk. reading that it could be the battery and thats the sound of the solenoid.

i suspect the battery is now dead? letting it charge and will try later. anyone every experience this?

I have replaced the fuel pumps (in tank and aux). Replaced the engine coil, sparkplugs, rotor and cap and spark plug wire set.
Rondel Fan

Re: Big Clunk when trying to start

Post by Rondel Fan »

I think we'll need s big more clarity. First you say "it wouldn't crank over", then you "...after cranking over a bunch of times"?
If the battery were dead, the starter would not turn, i.e. crank. Keep us posted.
Theantony

Post by Theantony »

Is it a clunk with a slight ping, if so it’s the flywheel I had the same issue. If you take of the starter motor you can see if the teeth are worn.
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

Weak / Bad bendix spring on the starter nose?
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)