cruise control physical location

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

kb0nai

cruise control physical location

Post by kb0nai »

My CC hasn't worked since I have owned the car, 4 yrs.
I know the item is approx 4" x 5" x 1.5", silver.
My mechanic says it is not behind the glove box, I don't find in engine bay any where. I am tired of tearing things apart to not find it.
Many things on my e9 are where ever they put them that week. I don't know if that is the same on the e24.
I realize this sounds like a stupid question. Please give me some insight as to where it may be.
Car is a 1985 635 csi
plip1953

Re: cruise control physical location

Post by plip1953 »

From memory, it's under the dash.
Phil

1988 Highline 635 CSi
emac

Post by emac »

The throttle control part is under the hood. FWIW, my CC wasnt working and it was due to the OBC not being hooked up properly behind the dash. A wire was plugged into the wrong spot behind the instrument cluster. So, if your OBC doesnt work, that may be messing up the CC.
86_6series
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by 86_6series »

86-635CSi
96-MB C220 SOLD
98-740i
71-Continental MK3
kb0nai

Post by kb0nai »

I found and showed my mechanic where it was. DUH
I had to get a elect schematic from Prosperos garage.
Pulled the CC but need to figure out the wiring. Cleaned the actuator from 200k of oil and grease today. now to get things to move.
WE will hit it soon.
I will be back to update as progress, or not, is made.
I rarely use a CC while driving. so if too expensive or not realistic due to part availability, at least I tried.
Thanks for the help
85MSteinway

Post by 85MSteinway »

My CC wasn't working when I bought my car. PO wasn't sure why it wasn't working. I figured it was dead and ignored until recently. I happened to be under the dash replacing a throttle cable and noticed the switch for the clutch was out of position and the loop was always closed. Moved the switch so it was properly positioned and adjusted it and now it works. Gotta love it when Its a simple fix.

Jay
L6
85 M635
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

Shortly after buying my black AVA Turbo from Ron, I was taking it for a test drive and switched the CC stalk a few times to see if anything happened. As far as I was aware, the CC didn’t work and I had already tried it on the way back from Ron’s With no success ☹️. All of a sudden the CC engaged and the car rapidly accelerated, the auto ‘box dropped a gear and I nearly lost control. Just a word of warning! I think the problem was that the car had been laid up for many years and the switch contacts had oxidised. My operation of the stalk on and off must have cleaned the contacts up enough to create a circuit, whence the CC setting from many years before kicked in. 😱
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Probably right about the corrosion, but the CC circuit is supposed to "forget" any previous setting once the car is shut off. You've got a hanging CC motor/drive cable (Bowden cable in BMW parlance).
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"