Memory Seat Controller Bypass?

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

FriendlyVolcano

Memory Seat Controller Bypass?

Post by FriendlyVolcano »

According to my mechanic, my E24 '88 M6 has a faulty driver's memory seat control module (BMW PN 61311371916).

My problem is that the seat can go in all directions except backwards. The problem is intermittent but has gotten worse and worse. First I swapped the switch from the passenger side with no luck. The shop switched out one memory seat control unit (not the switch on the parking brake area but the computer board below the seat) from another M6 and says it works. Problem is that these units are rare even from parts cars, so I'm having no luck sourcing one.

So here are three questions:

1) Can the passenger's side type of under-seat controller be used instead of the driver's side if I don't care about the 3-way memory function? I'd rather have the seat fully operable than worry about programmable memory positions.

2) Does the driver's seat have a limit stop sensor for each motor channel so that the seat doesn't go forward or backward infinitely?

3) Does anyone know if there's a repair service that works on board level fixes of BMW electronics? I'm thinking there's probably just a loose solder joint or dying capacitor with a unit this old.
plip1953

Re: Memory Seat Controller Bypass?

Post by plip1953 »

Looking at RealOEM, it doesn't seem to offer two versions of the control unit depending on whether it's for the driver or passenger seat.

My pretty clear impression is that the motors will run until they encounter resistance from the mechanical part of the seat being at the end of it's travel range, or if an obstruction is encountered. This seems to be supported by the fact that on my headrest where the flexi drive wire has stopped driving (again!!) the motor will simply run and run whenever the control button is pressed.
Phil

1988 Highline 635 CSi
FriendlyVolcano

I guess there's nothing to stop someone from pushing forever and burning out the motor. As it turns out, I've found a local electronics repair shop where the guy has actually worked on these boards. It's usually a bad solder joint, cap, or relay. I've managed to find a donor board on Ebay for $40 which we can harvest parts from if need be. Ah the joys of 1980's electronics!
FriendlyVolcano

OK, the saga continues. I have been unable to get my Memory Seat Controller module board repaired. But in all honesty, I don't really care about memory positions, just that everything works.

I have seen a schematic like this:
00007569.jpg
00007569.jpg (45.93 KiB) Viewed 3086 times
And here's a photo of the part labelled as number 6 in the schematic:
brose coburo.jpg
brose coburo.jpg (115.86 KiB) Viewed 3086 times
The part that comes from my M6 is this:
© ECSTUNING 2015.jpg
© ECSTUNING 2015.jpg (42.59 KiB) Viewed 3086 times
There seems to be two sets of connectors: a blue multi-pin and white multi-pin on either side of two 6-blade controller plugs.

Would it be reasonable to assume that if I used the non-memory controller (number 6 in the schematic) and just connected the two 6-blade connectors, I'd convert my M6 from a memory seat to a non-memory seat vehicle? Finding the Memory Seat Controller is proving very difficult (and possibly expensive!). I have not been able to find a schematic with my Memory Seat Controller in place, so I'm guessing a little here.
FriendlyVolcano

Does anyone know if it's possible to "downgrade" the seat controller from the memory unit to a non-memory unit?
Jwr

Post by Jwr »

I am having a similar problem with my driver' seat module....only it won't go up. I want to find a replacement module. Did you ever find one??