End crimps for RHD M635 throttle cable.

Post in this forum for cars and/or parts wanted.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

End crimps for RHD M635 throttle cable.

Post by ron »

This throttle cable is NLA from BMW so the only option is to make one.
P1030164.JPG
P1030164.JPG (4.05 MiB) Viewed 4511 times
Looking for the following cable end crimps:-
P1030117.JPG
P1030117.JPG (4.28 MiB) Viewed 4511 times
P1030163.JPG
P1030163.JPG (3.6 MiB) Viewed 4511 times
I've tried 6 cable suppliers in the UK and Germany and all have said they don't make them!!

Someone, somewhere must, so would be most appreciated if forum members could do a search local to them.

TIA.

PS There could be an interesting reward!
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
brickwhite

Re: End crimps for RHD M635 throttle cable.

Post by brickwhite »

PN - 35412225340 Shows NLA...

Good luck
- 12 535i
- 92 325ic
wattsmonkey
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wattsmonkey »

Stupid question time - is there any way the crimps can be removed and reused? I've got a couple of spares from a cooking 635 if cannibalism (of parts) is of interest! I'm going to need to make a cable that stretches all the way from the throttle, round the bulkhead, past the exhaust manifold to the bypass valve on the supercharger, so I'll be needing to develop some cable fabrication skills.
"Most of it necessary; all of it enjoyable." LJKS
'84 635CSi, dogleg...itbs and supercharger????? Eaton Mess
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

You can't "uncrimp" the ends, but you _may_ be able to split the fitting with a hacksaw or mototool and cutoff wheel, remove the cable, and lengthen by silver soldering, then reattach the end by the same method. You need to be skilled at silver soldering/brazing or all you'll do is ruin the cable by overheating.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

You might try drilling out the existing cable. Also cut the fitting back and fit a tube over it and solder on. Silver soldering can be done with a Bernzomatic torch. I think you get the idea. Mainly fitting a new tube over the old one. Once that is done, you can fit another tube to proper size in the new tube and then crimp your `cable. If you think about it it is not difficult.
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
Vertuser

Post by Vertuser »

Have you tried Venhill or some of the other custom cable manufacturers?

https://www.venhill.co.uk

The other thing of course, both of those crimps look like they started off round and straight, there could be the option to get a batch made?

Are the LHD cables NLA?
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

Vertuser wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:47 am https://www.venhill.co.uk
Have emailed. Waiting for a reply.
Vertuser wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:47 am The other thing of course, both of those crimps look like they started off round and straight, there could be the option to get a batch made.
One crimp is straight and we have manufactured one.
The other hook-shaped crimp we are investigating manufacturing options.
Vertuser wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:47 am Are the LHD cables NLA?
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=35_0121

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=35_0125

Different cable but might be worth trying.Still available from BMW.
hornhospital wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:05 am You can't "uncrimp" the ends, but you _may_ be able to split the fitting with a hacksaw or mototool and cutoff wheel, remove the cable, and lengthen by silver soldering, then reattach the end by the same method. You need to be skilled at silver soldering/brazing or all you'll do is ruin the cable by overheating.
Thanks for the tips Ken. I did a lot of silver soldering cables when I was involved with an autogyro manufacturer.
bpoliakoff wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:51 am You might try drilling out the existing cable. Also cut the fitting back and fit a tube over it and solder on. Silver soldering can be done with a Bernzomatic torch. I think you get the idea. Mainly fitting a new tube over the old one. Once that is done, you can fit another tube to proper size in the new tube and then crimp your `cable. If you think about it it is not difficult.
Thanks Bert it might come to that.
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Silver soldering can be done with hi silver content plumbing solder or even hobbyist silver solder. It can be flowed out with an old fashioned soldering iron and make a fine connection. Cleanliness, flux and even heat to both surfaces are the key words. If not comfortable with this your local home improvement store will have mini butane torches which will provide more than adequate heat
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.