manual transmission mounts

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

scott_f

manual transmission mounts

Post by scott_f »

Hello everyone! First post on the forum after years of using this site as the best resource for working on my '81 633csi. I recently replaced my driveshaft, and while I had her up on the lift I noticed that I seem to be missing a transmission mount. However, it looks like the crossmember is shaped differently on the driver side (US Model, left hand drive) and seems to require a different size mount than the passenger side. Searches online only bring up the passenger side mount. Does it really use the same one on both sides? It really looks like there is too much room to keep it in place :-k any insight would be much appreciated
'81 633csi graphite metallic/red interior
brickwhite

Re: manual transmission mounts

Post by brickwhite »

Clean off all the oil and you might be able to tell what is there. The cross brace mounts to the body and the transmission mounts to the crossbrace via a rubber mount.

One year only used one trans mount.

most mounts look something like this.

available here:
https://www.fcpeuro.com/BMW-parts/633CS ... =9&d=69&v=
- 12 535i
- 92 325ic
scott_f

Re: manual transmission mounts

Post by scott_f »

Ah maybe mine is one of the ones with only one mount, I had thought all of them had two. Do you know which year that was? The picture you gave is the mount that is currently on the passenger side, but where I expected to find the mount on the driver side, the space between the crossbar and transmission was maybe twice the height which led me to believe there was a different style mount. From the pic you can see that the crossbar angles up on the side with the mount, but is flat on the other.
'81 633csi graphite metallic/red interior