Air through Air con

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Theantony

Air through Air con

Post by Theantony »

Hi.

I’m getting cold air coming through my air con vents even when it’s not on. This happens when the heater fan is on. I’m not sure it even works, when I press the air con switch you definitely hear it engage and the fan working but nothing seems to happen.

Cheers

Antony.
635sharknose

Re: Air through Air con

Post by 635sharknose »

Well, we get cold air in our vents here as well in Holland, I think it related to the ambient winter temperatures :D .

Just kidding, now serious, you aren't getting any heat correct?

That the air conditioning is engaging and not working is most likely caused by insufficient amount of refrigerant.
Is your car still running on R12 or was it converted to R134a before?
Paul
Instagram: @635sharknose
1987 635CSi Bronzitbeige
Theantony

Post by Theantony »

“That the air conditioning is engaging and not working is most likely caused by insufficient amount of refrigerant.
Is your car still running on R12 or was it converted to R134a before?“

I have know idea. How would I find out.
635sharknose

Post by 635sharknose »

Check the filling nipples on your car, are they R134a, like on the photos, or R12?
Just Google the nipples and you will see the difference.
Attachments
DSC_0436.JPG
DSC_0436.JPG (121.8 KiB) Viewed 3266 times
DSC_0435.JPG
DSC_0435.JPG (109.6 KiB) Viewed 3266 times
Paul
1987 635CSi Bronzitbeige
Theantony

Post by Theantony »

635sharknose wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:28 pm Check the filling nipples on your car, are they R134a, like on the photos, or R12?
Great thanks I’ll check.Where is this located by the way.
Theantony

Post by Theantony »

wfwright2 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:07 pm Depending on which series e24 you have, this is normal, proper operation of the AC/heating system.
On the series 2 two cars (late 82 - 89), the dasboard vents supply either unconditioned outside air or cooled air if the AC is engaged. Airfow is controlled by the middle slider and the individual vent control. No way on these cars to get heated air from these vents. Well described in the owners manual which you should acquire to help expain some of the idiosyncrasies of these cars.

There is a thermal cutout for the AC system, so the compressor probably not engage below about 45f.

If you are a luck series 1 owner, one of those that are experienced in the earlier cars will need to offer assistance.
Yes mine is a mid 82. August. Everything you described is what is happening, but does that count for the steam of cold air I’m getting through the grill above the ashtray.
Theantony

Post by Theantony »

Ok cheers. I’ll pull the havac and have a look.
Theantony

Post by Theantony »

wfwright2 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:18 pm That sounds like one or both of the flaps internal to the heater box has either been jammed by some foreign material or deteriorating foam from the seals, when the AC is engaged the flaps are suppose to move to allow airflow through that grill, then evaporator coil and then out dash board vents. When the flaps get stuck in a partial open/shut position it allows the condition that you have.

I remember reading a discription of a "fix" years ago either on this site or mye28.com (very similar system with same hvac box under dash). I did a simple correction to my e28 about 15 yearrs ago without removing the box but do not remember how I went about it. I think I had to access the lefthand side of the heater box, a pain on my lhd vehicle, but easier, not easy on your rhd example. Assuming because of your location.

The Bently e28 manual has a pictorial of the system which should help if you can find a copy.
But with you saying that, the slider for the footwell air is stiff and a clunky when you get to the ends. So maybe that’s it.
Theantony

Post by Theantony »

635sharknose wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:28 pm Check the filling nipples on your car, are they R134a, like on the photos, or R12?
I can’t seem to find these. Hmm. Where are they situated what am I missing.
635sharknose

Post by 635sharknose »

I have an 87 model, which is different from yours.
On my car they are situated (under the hood) on the right side just behind the headlights. And the other one is left from the suspension.
Paul
1987 635CSi Bronzitbeige