My UK '84 635csi

Pics...we want PICS!!!

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

tom635

My UK '84 635csi

Post by tom635 »

Hi all,

I'm Tom from the UK. Have finally dipped my toe in to classic cars and thought I would really just dive in the deep end by buying one of my two dream cars. I've loved the E24 ever since Quentin Wilson did a 'buy now' tip on Fifth Gear on UK TV.

Anyway, managed to get a 45k mile 635 with largely perfect bodywork and no signs of rust/corrosion underneath. Lucky boy.

There are a few things I need to work through over time:

1. Passenger side and one of the rear windows not working - going to follow some instructions from here and see if I can manually wind before looking for motors
2. Need to find a centre vanity light as mine is missing (haven't found the wires yet but may need to look harder.
3. Bit of chrome corrosion on the front corner bumper - will get that rechromed
4. OBC not working - although the car has or had a third party alarm/immobiliser so not sure if it was disengaged for that? I really don't know enough about the OBC to comment, not do I know how much I want it working
5. Power steering is very heavy initially but absolutely fine when parking/manoeuvring around town. Just beween 10 - 1 o'clock from dead on it feels like it doesn't even have power steering
7. Replace starter motor with one of the newer, smaller and more powerful versions. Feel the car could do with a bit more help starting.
6. Dirt in the instrument dials (at least I think its dirt) - don't really want to take it out but it also annoys me. Common?

Not too bad really! Looking forward to the journey!

Tom
‘84 635csi
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: My UK '84 635csi

Post by hornhospital »

Welcome to the insanity, Tom!

You've scored a winner. Low mileage and no rust. Treasure it.

That's not dirt in the instrument cluster. It's "flocking". Made that way from the factory. I guess BMW thought it was elegant. :roll:
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
635sharknose

Post by 635sharknose »

Welcome Tom, looks great!

The windows not working is probably due to dirty (burned) switches, I had that as well.
I opened up the switches and cleaned the contacts, all good after that.
I would not advise to buy the Chinese eBay/Amazon replica switches, just clean the original ones.
Paul
Instagram: @635sharknose
1987 635CSi Bronzitbeige
tom635

Post by tom635 »

hornhospital wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:44 pm Welcome to the insanity, Tom!

You've scored a winner. Low mileage and no rust. Treasure it.

That's not dirt in the instrument cluster. It's "flocking". Made that way from the factory. I guess BMW thought it was elegant. :roll:
I mean in the indicator lights there is a build up of something! Hadn't noticed the flocking though - had to google what it was and saw some awful dashes!
‘84 635csi
tom635

Post by tom635 »

635sharknose wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:53 pm Welcome Tom, looks great!

The windows not working is probably due to dirty (burned) switches, I had that as well.
I opened up the switches and cleaned the contacts, all good after that.
I would not advise to buy the Chinese eBay/Amazon replica switches, just clean the original ones.
Thanks - fingers crossed they do just need a bit of a clean? Any recommendations or is a bit of meth and a little emery cloth OK? If I can get those two windows working with little effort I will be a happy man - its the only thing the wife comments on!
‘84 635csi
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

tom635 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:30 pm 2. Need to find a centre vanity light as mine is missing
There is NO centre vanity light. You have one either side in the roof and one in the L/H/S sun visor.

The hole in the roof you are probably looking at, is for the sunroof manual operation.
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
wattsmonkey
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wattsmonkey »

That looks absolutely lovely!

If you are looking at an empty hole where the sunroof motor cover should be I'll be able to help you - I'm at the "Which box is THAT in?" stage of putting my 6 back together and I found a spare cover amongst a host of other things I didn't know I had!

(It's in the big cardboard box with the spare interior bits at the back of the shed)
"Most of it necessary; all of it enjoyable." LJKS
'84 635CSi, dogleg...itbs and supercharger????? Eaton Mess
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

tom635 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:30 pm 1. Passenger side and one of the rear windows not working - going to follow some instructions from here and see if I can manually wind before looking for motors
Try swapping the good switches over first.
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
tom635

Post by tom635 »

wattsmonkey wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:26 am That looks absolutely lovely!

If you are looking at an empty hole where the sunroof motor cover should be I'll be able to help you - I'm at the "Which box is THAT in?" stage of putting my 6 back together and I found a spare cover amongst a host of other things I didn't know I had!

(It's in the big cardboard box with the spare interior bits at the back of the shed)
The things you learn! Thank you Ron - I'm enlightened! Did think it was a bit tight back there for a light as there is a massive sunroof motor in the way.

@Wattsmonkey - yes please sir, I'll PM you?
‘84 635csi
wattsmonkey
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wattsmonkey »

Please do! I'll have to fight my way to the back of the shed once again, but it was only last weekend that I saw it. I've got a load of spare window switches too, if that's the problem with your windows.

The mechanism on the rear would almost certainly benefit from a clean and re-grease. It's pleasingly simple to get to. The fronts don't seem to gum up as much as they get used more, but - again - easy to remove doorcards to clean
"Most of it necessary; all of it enjoyable." LJKS
'84 635CSi, dogleg...itbs and supercharger????? Eaton Mess
635sharknose

Post by 635sharknose »

tom635 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:06 am Thanks - fingers crossed they do just need a bit of a clean? Any recommendations or is a bit of meth and a little emery cloth OK? If I can get those two windows working with little effort I will be a happy man - its the only thing the wife comments on!
Just open them up and look for burned spots (see the photo below).
I cleaned them with scotch-brite and contact cleaner.

Paul
Instagram: @635sharknose
1987 635CSi Bronzitbeige