OBC help

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

falcotim

OBC help

Post by falcotim »

Well, I replaced the fuse in the OBC, and we now have some activity at the obc display... but it's four blinking dots.

Anybody know what I have to do?

This is the earlier 12 button style, so there isn't a recessed button to push while holding the code button down.

A link to a manual for this would be fantastic... It's a euro, and the obc is in german so it's kind of confusing.

Well, I figured out that it wasn''t locked, you just have to set the time, (press time button three times, then set time, then press time again) but if somebody has an electronic copy of a manual or anything that tells you how to use this (in english) that would REALLY help...
greyeagle

got the same thing!

Post by greyeagle »

just got mine working,and I've the same four dots. :!:
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

Here is the OBC in English, that may help some. Try posting your question on the thread that the photo came from, maybe Horsetan will enlighten us?:

viewtopic.php?t=2654

(Ask for a better photo also)
Joe M in WV

Post by Joe M in WV »

If four dots are flashing in the display, then the clock has to be reset first before other functions are regained.

Here are more fuzzy pics for ya:

Joe M in WV
greyeagle

Post by greyeagle »

Thanks for that,very handy.
I'm still puzzled by it not working.
I tried bridging the red/white with a known live, but still nothing.
so,I'm now thinking its got to have something to do with this confounded alarm thats on it,having blown a fuse in it somewhere.
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

The scan of the instruction manual, showing the calculator-type keypad, is the correct one.

The four flashing dots show that the clock memory is "empty" and needs to be set.

Press the bottom right key "CLOCK/LOCK" (for UK-spec cars) twice. This should give you a "0" (zero) on the display, and a small dot at top left showing "AM". If you press it again and hold it, the dot should then change to "PM".

Key in the correct time, using the keypad.

Then press the bottom left key "START/CORR". You may have to press it twice to get the clock to run.

Everything should be fine after that. :D
greyeagle

Post by greyeagle »

I HAD the four dots up until I stupidly disconnected a black box that had been slaved into the black multi connector.The live side touched metal and now appears dead.
I've soldered the two ends created by the black box,and still nothing.
I've tried using a known live onto the offending 'dead live' but still nothing on the onboard.I've checked fuses,bulbs but still cannot find why this once live isnt!
This is the offending box
i now think this is part of the factry fitted bmw alarm.
still gash though!
Last edited by greyeagle on Fri May 09, 2008 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greyeagle

Post by greyeagle »

okay,the red/white lead wasnt,it was grey/red.
I've now got dimmer capabilities on the obc but no display,all connected,all fuses checked but nuffin.
Any clues as to what couldve gone wrong,silver brain box fuse is okay as are main fuses. :?: :!:
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

greyeagle wrote:okay,the red/white lead wasnt,it was grey/red.
I've now got dimmer capabilities on the obc but no display,all connected,all fuses checked but nuffin.
Any clues as to what couldve gone wrong,silver brain box fuse is okay as are main fuses. :?: :!:
Hmm.... I wonder if you blew out the four 7-segment digit displays :? after the inadvertent disconnection.
greyeagle

by jove, i think i got it!

Post by greyeagle »

Bit of a story,but here goes!
The original 6'er board had no working speedo and no OBC.
I swapped it for the board from my 525i,including speedo unit.
And sure enough,OBC WORKED.This board did not have the above when i installed it.
Until I stupidly touched grey/red wire against bodywork!
(grey/red is lighting dimmer).
NO OBC!
Bagged me a dash,pulled it apart and swapped out the main board.
Installed it,and guess what OBC worked.
On further inspection I found the above,on both none working boards.
In fact,on the second,I had trouble with the swingometer,and TWO lines had burnt out.
It worked for me!