Rear Window Blind Help

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

cgswift

Rear Window Blind Help

Post by cgswift »

I recently obtained a rear window blind parcel shelf for my car. Would some one please post a photo of the 'hooks' to which the blind attaches? This is a new installation, and I don't have a clue as to what they look like. Thanks! Toph
1983 633CSi Balticblau Metallic
1972 K5 Blazer w/4Wheel Popup
1972 Datsun 510 Badass Monster!
1959 Corvette FI 283
1950 8N Ford Tractor (Harrison)

"Strive for perfection, excellence will be accepted."
GWL

Re: Rear Window Blind Help

Post by GWL »

cgswift wrote:I recently obtained a rear window blind parcel shelf for my car. Would some one please post a photo of the 'hooks' to which the blind attaches? This is a new installation, and I don't have a clue as to what they look like. Thanks! Toph
Here are a couple of pictures.
Attachments
PICT0004.JPG
PICT0004.JPG (32.12 KiB) Viewed 12982 times
PICT00057.JPG
PICT00057.JPG (40.6 KiB) Viewed 12982 times
cgswift

Post by cgswift »

Thanks George! I will need to find some, in Pacific Blue. If not, I will need to be very creative, and fabricate something. Would anyone know if they might still be available at a dealer? Toph (It's gettin' better all the time!)
1959 Corvette FI 283

Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

The real question is, do you still have the loops on the shade? :)
cgswift

Post by cgswift »

Nope. They were a combination af really small wire ties. I have already 'obtained' the proper roll pins from work, and I'm looking for some suitable wire to fab the loops. It'll all work, it will just take some time.

My Eibach lowering springs have arrived, as well as the S/T group buy anti-sway bars. This will be a busy week. Toph
1959 Corvette FI 283

alpinacsi

Post by alpinacsi »

BRACKET ANTHRAZIT 2 51461941328 $1.73

I don't think they were available in blue and I think all of them were the same color until the later highline cars.

I found some last week when I was looking thru my junk for a alternator wire boot. The problem is finding them again; if I do find them, you can have them.

Todd
cgswift

Post by cgswift »

Schweeet! Thanks Todd!
1959 Corvette FI 283

Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

cgswift wrote:Nope. They were a combination af really small wire ties. I have already 'obtained' the proper roll pins from work, and I'm looking for some suitable wire to fab the loops. . Toph
Ah, good, so you've seen the Mwrench "fix" then.
Euro cs No i

Does'nt

Post by Euro cs No i »

Does'nt someone have a SOLID fix for those clamps on a web site? I have one back shade as well. Currently getting my interior redone and was looking for that site. Anyone know?

Regards,
Chris Wright

Re: Does'nt

Post by Chris Wright »

Euro cs No i wrote:Does'nt someone have a SOLID fix for those clamps on a web site? I have one back shade as well. Currently getting my interior redone and was looking for that site. Anyone know?

Regards,
Here is the PDF file for the window shade hook repair from the BC Tech Articles:

viewtopic.php?t=4204
Euro cs No i

Ahhh Yes...

Post by Euro cs No i »

Ahhh Yes,... there it is. Thank You Sir. What about the headliner attachments. Are there facory holes or mountings there under the liner?

Regards,
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Ahhh Yes...

Post by ron »

Euro cs No i wrote:Ahhh Yes,... there it is. Thank You Sir. What about the headliner attachments. Are there facory holes or mountings there under the liner?

Regards,
I had to drill new holes on my '85!!

Ron.
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
Euro cs No i

Okay...

Post by Euro cs No i »

My car is a 79' and I got the shade while scavenging at a local dismantlers. Is there some metal there to do such a drilling or is there welding involved? I'm waiting for the rear seats to be redone before I start looking at the headliner and rear speaker/shade area. I've felt around the headliner and I dont feel anything. Any advice?

Regards,
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fairly simple solution . . .

Post by GRNSHRK »

As my 80 didn't come with the sun shade as stock equipment either, I decided to come up with rather simple hooks that I installed into the top of the rear windshield gasket. These started life as these chrome (Nickel?) plated spring clips that I got from work, things to hang your badge from a lanyard, or something like that :?

I have bent these into an "S" shape, if you look from the side. One end of the "S" fits under the gasket, the other end of the "S" serves as the hook with which to hang the shaed onto. Clean and simple :wink:

I'll take a couple of pix over the weekend if anyone is interested, as I wrestled with a place to hook my shade for quite a while :roll:

HTH 8)
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
GWL

Re: Fairly simple solution . . .

Post by GWL »

GRNSHRK wrote:As my 80 didn't come with the sun shade as stock equipment either, I decided to come up with rather simple hooks that I installed into the top of the rear windshield gasket. These started life as these chrome (Nickel?) plated spring clips that I got from work, things to hang your badge from a lanyard, or something like that :?

I have bent these into an "S" shape, if you look from the side. One end of the "S" fits under the gasket, the other end of the "S" serves as the hook with which to hang the shaed onto. Clean and simple :wink:

I'll take a couple of pix over the weekend if anyone is interested, as I wrestled with a place to hook my shade for quite a while :roll:

HTH 8)
I would be interested in the knowledge as the stock hooks are known to break and they are NLA.
bfons

Post by bfons »

Guys,

Let me look through my stash as I may have a couple kits that Ed (Mr Wrench) used to sell. I'll let you guys know Monday.
Brian

-----------------------
1984 Graphite M635 - Project Graphite - Sold
1985 Polaris M635 - Polaris - Sold
1987 L6 Black/Lotus White - My Queen has a new home
1980 633csi - Gone but not forgotten
alpinacsi

Post by alpinacsi »

[quote="GWL] I would be interested in the knowledge as the stock hooks are known to break and they are NLA.[/quote]

Are you talking about the hooks in the headliner? They are NLA in some colors but:

Part #3 ( 51461941328 ) in ANTHRAZIT from Maximillian is $1.88

That is not to say that they will not break easily so ordering spares may be a good idea.
GWL

Post by GWL »

Thanks, I had forgotten that the Anthrazits were still available. :D
brickwhite

Post by brickwhite »

hooks in the headliner... for the sun shade

if your car does not have them can you just screw them into the headliner? My car is an 85.

brick
- 12 535i
- 92 325ic
Bostn635csi

Post by Bostn635csi »

I had the same issue and tried different options. The one I'm using know for the past two years are Binder Clips. That's right, good old Binder Clips you can buy in any color to match your shade. They clip right onto the end of the shade and just use one of the hooks to attach. Easy simple fix for a couple of dollars.
Kevin
1988 BMW 635csi, 5-speed
Lachsilber