Good things begin on Jan. 12, 2009!!

Document your Sixer project here.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Good things begin on Jan. 12, 2009!!

Post by Masked Man »

Well, it's finally gonna happen. tomorrow at 10:00AM I hand over the Benjamins and a 1985 shark enters my life. I'll be the 3rd owner and I'm stoked! Yes, it's an automatic but that too is mutable. here are some pictures and yes, those ARE the ugliest wheels on the planet! I'm counting on you folks to help me thru to perfection or at least best in show. It seems there are no service records. It's a long story. The thumbnail is, fella died and his daughter pitched everything. His sister is the seller and the price is WAY right!
Attachments
I think I'll let a professional fix that ding in the nose.
I think I'll let a professional fix that ding in the nose.
85' Black 635 378.jpg (73.39 KiB) Viewed 28086 times
Who ever put those wheels on should have to look at them 24/7
Who ever put those wheels on should have to look at them 24/7
85' Black 635 385.jpg (78.93 KiB) Viewed 28086 times
Last edited by Masked Man on Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
Ireland stainless exhaust
Upper & lower control arms
New tie rod kit
The Sixer Kid

Post by The Sixer Kid »

good luck on the transaction!

That car is the 2nd e24 I've seen with those wheels, Bobby's is the first. They look much better on a silver car.
e24trapt

Post by e24trapt »

ok seriously what is with e24's and banged up noses.....
2002 Cadillac DTS Vogue 32v V8 (Daily)

1983 BMW 633csi N/A Beast (sold)
Cali 1988 BMW 635csi Resto (in progress)
Cali 1989 BMW 635csi high comp tuned zinnabar 5 speed (keeper)
BlackShark6

Post by BlackShark6 »

congrats on the soon to be car, how did you come across this one?,,, 85 is my top year right now for this car, and I would kill for a clean euro right now, show us more pics tommorow!!!

whats the story on the wheels, everytime I see them, I dont know why but it makes me think of canada, were they canada only wheels?
89' 325i cabrio(r.i.p @ 250k+) blue/tan blacktop
85' 635 CSi (hit @ 72k) Blk/blk 5sp(garaged)
82' 733i (sold to hollywood @ 300k+ )blk/brwn
99' 528i ACSchnitzer ext.(sold 103k orig owner) silver/grey 5sp
97' 540i/6 (sold) blue/blk 6sp
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Masked Man »

thesixerkid wrote:good luck on the transaction!

That car is the 2nd e24 I've seen with those wheels, Bobby's is the first. They look much better on a silver car.
Better is a relative term, don't you think? :wink:
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
New tie rod kit
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Masked Man »

Lucky6 wrote:congrats on the soon to be car, how did you come across this one?,,, 85 is my top year right now for this car, and I would kill for a clean euro right now, show us more pics tommorow!!!

whats the story on the wheels, everytime I see them, I dont know why but it makes me think of canada, were they canada only wheels?
Thanks! I found it on Craigslist which I've been haunting for over 2 years now. I didn't even twig to it being a euro until my bud Vince pointed it out from the photos. I was mesmerized by the sound of that E30 muttering, "Buy me! Buy me, you won't regret it!" I promise more pics soon.
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
New tie rod kit
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Masked Man »

Masked Man wrote:
Lucky6 wrote:congrats on the soon to be car, how did you come across this one?,,, 85 is my top year right now for this car, and I would kill for a clean euro right now, show us more pics tommorow!!!

Thanks! I found it on Craigslist which I've been haunting for over 2 years now. I didn't even twig to it being a euro until my bud Vince pointed it out from the photos. I was mesmerized by the sound of that E30 muttering, "Buy me! Buy me, you won't regret it!" I promise more pics soon.
Did I say E30? D'oh! I meant M30.
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
New tie rod kit
BlackShark6

Post by BlackShark6 »

oh crap, is it blue with tan interior? they guy never emailed me the pics...then told me it was sold... the car is running?

ive been searching for close to 2yrs now also, many craigslist ads, very few worth the look, so happens that one of the ones I didnt get to see was bought by another member here a few days ago... the black with alpinas,,,

I was looking at an 85 car that I found, all black with 5 speed and just over 100k, but it was sitting for a few years, and hosted a number of things need attention, lumpy idle, oxidezed paint, interior things, brakes and a major service..., This M30 was sounding like a lawnmower.. im really ready to buy and very tired of looking,,,,
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

Wow, those wheels are... striking!

Good luck with ownership, love that colour.
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Masked Man »

Lucky6 wrote:oh crap, is it blue with tan interior? they guy never emailed me the pics...then told me it was sold... the car is running?

ive been searching for close to 2yrs now also, many craigslist ads, very few worth the look, so happens that one of the ones I didnt get to see was bought by another member here a few days ago... the black with alpinas,,,

I was looking at an 85 car that I found, all black with 5 speed and just over 100k, but it was sitting for a few years, and hosted a number of things need attention, lumpy idle, oxidezed paint, interior things, brakes and a major service..., This M30 was sounding like a lawnmower.. im really ready to buy and very tired of looking,,,,
It might be the same one. I was on this like a duck on a June bug, Lucky6. I think I clicked on it within 5 minutes of its appearance and I was relentless. I saw it that day and shook hands with her before 1PM so don't feel too bad. It's actually Diamond Swartz and has a better finish than my 01 Acura TL and I'm VERY picky about my Acura. I only use Zaino products and it gets washed at least every 10 days and waxed once a month or so. Okay, I'm out the door in a few to go get this beauty. More anon
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
New tie rod kit
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

e24trapt wrote:ok seriously what is with e24's and banged up noses.....
The one disadvantage of the Euro chrome bumpers was that they were a bit short, hence the nose cone was quite easily dented in low speed parking accidents.

The original nose cone on my '83 was dented, so it was eventually replaced in 2002.
BlackShark6

Post by BlackShark6 »

Il be ok,, :o I emailed the same day also but never got any quick responses, this car may have been destined for YOU...,,, but I couldnt be happier for you mang, once I get myself into another 6 machine, I want to do some cruises with the Socal group,

im thinking of contacting a euro car that i checked out a few months ago, that the owner had also died and left the car to a nephew..
val_c

Post by val_c »

About the wheels: first time I saw them in Wheeler Dealer UK series http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD82j6ln9i0

The host also told that those wheels are Canadians. I've never ever met such wheels in Canada though.
PRJTGRMN_E24

Post by PRJTGRMN_E24 »

who in their right state of mind EVER thought those wheels looked good? :shock:

sad part is, i've seen at least 4 other sharks with those wheels.
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Masked Man »

I guess I shouldn't talk them down because I'm gonna want to sell them right here on BC but they SUCK out loud.
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
New tie rod kit
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Masked Man »

Well, I got good news and okay news today. First the okay news. I have a weepy power steering hose clamp and no cruise control.

I heard from the seller today and her niece DOES have the service records for the car!!! I should have them within the week! Oh and it still has the original first aid kit. Pictures soon.
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
New tie rod kit
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Masked Man »

We put the baby up on jack stands and took a look at the undercarriage today and aside from the requisite drips and grunge, everything looks within acceptable paramaters.
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
New tie rod kit
Finally6

Post by Finally6 »

Masked Man wrote:I guess I shouldn't talk them down because I'm gonna want to sell them right here on BC but they SUCK out loud.
I bought 81 633 from Connecticut in 06 for $150, just for the parts, and yes it had those wheels with brand new tires!! Guess which wheels are on the car during the winter months???
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Masked Man »

I bought 81 633 from Connecticut in 06 for $150, just for the parts, and yes it had those wheels with brand new tires!! Guess which wheels are on the car during the winter months???
Winter? What is this winter of which you speak? Do you know who made these things? I can't find a manufacturer's name on them.
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
New tie rod kit
Finally6

Post by Finally6 »

[quote="Masked ManWinter? What is this winter of which you speak? Do you know who made these things? I can't find a manufacturer's name on them.[/quote]

Well the winter I speak of here in Virginia is the ice, snow, etc. It is not as bad as my home state of Michigan, but with the "skilled" drivers in this area it is exciting. I generally put them on around the first of december and through mid february. I do not know the name of the manufacturer unfortunately.
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Masked Man »

Well, the baby is now street legal, -temporarily- I have one of those red rectangles in the rear window, that California grants you in order to move your vehicle from one place to bleed money to yet another place to bleed money. And aside from a grinding right front brake and running a touch warm, so far so good.
I took her to Beverly Hills BMW yesterday to see if they could locate the serial number on the radio, which they could not since it seems the serial number was removed or fell off? Anyway, the service manager explained that I can send the radio to someone, either Alpine or whomever and for a mere $250 I can get the serial number and cooresponding code such that the thing will function. I gave him the hairy eyeball and pointed out that perhaps when brand new the radio was worth that, now it's merely a boat anchor of 25yo technology. Anyone have a suggestion for rendering this unit functional? Also, it appears as though I'm going to have to wrestle with my electric antenna since it goes up about 4 inches and stops.

The adventure continues!!!
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
New tie rod kit
MrtnEbb

Post by MrtnEbb »

My '81 635csi also have that dent in the nose.

I too saw those wheels on 'wheeler dealers' first, thought they looked bad on the red car there..
But on your car, the 'Diamondschwarz', they actually look kinda good.
If I weren't far off in Norway, I just might've bought them myself :D

Congratulations on the beautiful car.
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Masked Man »

MrtnEbb wrote:My '81 635csi also have that dent in the nose.

I too saw those wheels on 'wheeler dealers' first, thought they looked bad on the red car there..
But on your car, the 'Diamondschwarz', they actually look kinda good.
If I weren't far off in Norway, I just might've bought them myself :D

Congratulations on the beautiful car.
Dear MrtnEbb,

Thanks for the kind words about 'the baby' I wish I knew HOW that dent got there but it was before she came into my care. You really think those wheels look good on the Diamondschwarz car? I'm counting the minutes until I find a style to replace them with and can let some deserving 6er owner take them off of my hands. One 'friend' suggested I spray them black! Bleah...

On an unrelated subject, I decided the driver's seat was TOO awful and lo and behold the construction of the manual sport seats allowed me to switch the two seats, so now I have a comfortable if snug seat from which to pilot my shark. I am convinced that those seats were designed for 140lb people with NO asses!

MRtnEbb? Can you post some pics of your fine '81 Shark? I would love to see them.

Regards
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
New tie rod kit
MrtnEbb

Post by MrtnEbb »

Hello again!

I guess those wheels just grew a little on me! On a black 6er, like yours, I thought they looked quite good.. And definitely against the grain or whatever it is called :D
Now it's my turn to thank you, for complimenting on my 'fine' 6er. It really isn't that fine just yet, I have a lot of work in front of me. Bought it a little over a year ago, the PO said it was a fun winter beater, can you believe it!?
It has rust on the front inner wings, floorboards along the sills and in the spare wheel well. Apart from that, I think it looks pretty good :lol:

The pictures turned out very big in the preview, so I excluded them for now. If you email me, I'll be happy to send you some for your amusement!

It currently sports some sort of metallic black paint, but is kastanienrot met. underneath. The plan is to restore it to the original color. The head gasket is busted, I hope the head isn't cracked. Runs fine....

Let me know if you'd like some pics!

All the best,
Martin
MrtnEbb

Post by MrtnEbb »

Hey MaskedMan!

Just discovered the great Member's cars feature and added my car there! It's under MrtnEbb. I saw yours too, it's a beauty. Did the seat swap myself, on the comfort seats in my E28. I learned about it on the great 'Rod's Automobile Pages'. Check out his E28!!!
I love the sport seats in the E24!

Well, have a look, and don't cry.