E24 engine swaps

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

raffi91

E24 engine swaps

Post by raffi91 »

I read that you can fit a BMW V12 from a 850 in a e24 chassis what else would fit with little to no modifications as far as BMW engines from later years?
Oz6er

Re: E24 engine swaps

Post by Oz6er »

raffi91 wrote:I read that you can fit a BMW V12 from a 850 in a e24 chassis what else would fit with little to no modifications as far as BMW engines from later years?
Required a fair bit of modification but check it out: E39 M5 V8
shazbot996

Post by shazbot996 »

OMG. What a beast. And no room to spare in the engine bay ;) I thought my S38 filled the bay pretty well. Sheesh.

Wonder what it's like to drive. How does the weight on that engine compare, I wonder? Curious if it turns into a nose heavy tank? I don't care for lead sleds.
german performance inc

Post by german performance inc »

shazbot ,are you considering a swap or just curious ?
shazbot996

Post by shazbot996 »

hah...very much just curious. Couldn't fathom such a move
The Sixer Kid

Post by The Sixer Kid »

Here are some facts for y'all:

M30: ~320lbs
M70: ~350lbs
M60(tu): ~310lbs

t
The M70 is old technology. It takes a lot of money to maintain. While a marvel of technology for its time, its was Bmw's first attempt at a V-12. Most parts a V-12 specific and as such, they cost a lot of money. There is much more support for the M30 (performance and maintenance) even though its older.

The M60/M62 are great v-8's bu they come with a hole slew of problems: Nikasil, Vanos failure.... Fact is, you don't see all that many 200k+ miles v-8's because they were at the beginning of the development stage (so to speak) in comparison to the M30's or even the s38's.

Here are some things to consider with a swap:

Harness modification
OBD1/OBD2 compatibility
Driveshaft modification
Transmission mounting
Possible Steering Box Relocation
A/C compatibility
Oil Pan Modification

For the average DIYer this really isn't feasible unless you have superior tools, workspace and a lot of patience.

Off the top of my head, I'd say you'd be looking at a minimum of $3000-$4000 just to get the motor to fit and function correctly. And once you get everything to fit just right you're still left with a used motor.

I'd say your money would be better spent going with forced induction for the M30 (300+)whp or nice N/A build with an s38 (275+)whp
Sparks Factory

Post by Sparks Factory »

the m70 is pretty bulletproof. everyone knocks it but its been said that every red blooded car enthusiast should own a 12 cylinder car once in his life. The harness integration will kill you on them though.

ive honestly seen quite a few 200K+ m62's. The alloy block cars had their problems, at this point though theyve been shredded or replaced with fresh motors. its a compact, lightweight motor. your biggest issue is getting the bellhosung to go with a 5 speed, or spending the coin for a 6 speed. its at the point where theyre available for reasonable money, doing the harness is the biggest part of the equation, otherwise you have a lighter motor and a nice v8 rumble.

Every car/motor has its problems, but at this point in the game, why not try something different?
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

check out the M70 engined car in the for sale section.

Before you get too excited, the car is in Poland, the tranny is n/s, and it is......

....yellow..... :shock:

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
sixermanny

Post by sixermanny »

since we are Talking swap.. maybe others could chime in on what they think is the best direct (not requiring engine compartment mods etc) engine swap? I have a 633 and its time for a change...I could rebuild, but that's all i could do. I"m thinking direct swap here and feasibility here! :)

E.
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

a bigger, better M30 is an obvious choice.

Or one with a blower.....

Or an M635 motor.

After this it gets to be more aggro....

think carefully about budget (time and money) as well as the end result before you start; plenty of folk don't and the result is a car which never goes again....

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
sixermanny

Post by sixermanny »

Hey Brucey...thanks! Someonce once said to put a 540i engine in it. ever heard of someone doing that? I'm a casual driver at the end of the day, but my mechanic keeps saying that if your going to change the engine, since swapping is the hardest part, put the best one if you can instead of just putting in a better M30. I think i asked this awhile back but the best m30 would be out of an '92 735?

thanks
e
The Sixer Kid

Post by The Sixer Kid »

sixermanny wrote:Hey Brucey...thanks! Someonce once said to put a 540i engine in it. ever heard of someone doing that? I'm a casual driver at the end of the day, but my mechanic keeps saying that if your going to change the engine, since swapping is the hardest part, put the best one if you can instead of just putting in a better M30. I think i asked this awhile back but the best m30 would be out of an '92 735?

thanks
e
1) Throw in an M30b35.

2) Turbocharge car

3) Enjoy more power than than the M60, M70, S38, M88...
87L6

Post by 87L6 »

thesixerkid wrote:
sixermanny wrote:Hey Brucey...thanks! Someonce once said to put a 540i engine in it. ever heard of someone doing that? I'm a casual driver at the end of the day, but my mechanic keeps saying that if your going to change the engine, since swapping is the hardest part, put the best one if you can instead of just putting in a better M30. I think i asked this awhile back but the best m30 would be out of an '92 735?

thanks
e
1) Throw in an M30b35.

2) Turbocharge car

True. But an M70 is sooo cool. Hopefully someday I have enough money and property to wedge mine in something it doesn't belong in...
Big Bronze Rim

Post by Big Bronze Rim »

thesixerkid wrote:

thanks
e
1) Throw in an M30b35.

2) Turbocharge car

I agree with this wholeheartedly.
The Sixer Kid

Post by The Sixer Kid »

Big Bronze Rim wrote:
thesixerkid wrote:

thanks
e
1) Throw in an M30b35.

2) Turbocharge car

I agree with this wholeheartedly.
Spoken like a true turbo owner 8) 8)
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

Are there any supercharged M30 engines out there....... :shock:

Sharkfan
Big Bronze Rim

Post by Big Bronze Rim »

I've seen a couple of SC'd big sixes but most of the projects never make it off the ground. Turbos are far more fun anyway. :wink:
The Sixer Kid

Post by The Sixer Kid »

There was a member here who had a S/C'd e24. The biggest problem comes from trying to find a place to mount the thing.
Big Bronze Rim

Post by Big Bronze Rim »

thesixerkid wrote:There was a member here who had a S/C'd e24. The biggest problem comes from trying to find a place to mount the thing.
Especially if you intend to keep AC.
raffi91

Post by raffi91 »

Cant remember where i found this but this is the only SC set up ive seen on a e24.
Attachments
sc1.jpg
sc1.jpg (295.26 KiB) Viewed 13253 times
raffi91

Post by raffi91 »

Another angle
Attachments
sc2.jpg
sc2.jpg (279.22 KiB) Viewed 13250 times
The Sixer Kid

Post by The Sixer Kid »

Good God thats a mess!

Much cleaner:
raffi91

Post by raffi91 »

O ya! look at that custom inlet for the SC. I hope those welds are strong enough.
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

So actually there's not a great deal of room for add-ons..... :shock:
M635forever

Post by M635forever »

Just put in a M106 from a E23 745iA,boost the turbo to 1Bar.....then you got the perfect toy....