1986 Power Sport Seat questions

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Jays635

1986 Power Sport Seat questions

Post by Jays635 »

Okay on my 635csi with sport seats my driver side seat does not work at all with any of the power functions. The passenger seat works and the fuse at the fuse box is good. I want to take the drivers seat out of the car but I cannot power it to move the track forward to access the rear bolts on the seat. Are there other fuses that are specific to the Drivers seat inside the car somewhere? Where should I start in terms of finding out why the power seat does not work? Please advise.

Regards,

Jay
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

I would recommend you check the plugs on the front of the seat. You remove the plastic cover under the thigh bolster to view all the plugs.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
ozbmw

Post by ozbmw »

The wiring loom is probably long enough that you can disconnect the passenger seat wiring and plug it into the drivers seat to test where the fault lies. There should be 2 plugs on each side, but the passenger seat only uses one if these.

Matt @ Snowy Mountains of Australia
http://bigcoupe.com/members/ozbmw
Jays635

Post by Jays635 »

ozbmw wrote:The wiring loom is probably long enough that you can disconnect the passenger seat wiring and plug it into the drivers seat to test where the fault lies. There should be 2 plugs on each side, but the passenger seat only uses one if these.

Wow yours is definitely different then mine. Where are your seat control switches? Mine are located on the center console. Anyway I will remove my passenger seat and see if I can bring it over to the driver's seat. I checked through the wiring last night and noticed that the power cushion that extends under your leg moves forward and back and there is power at the seat. If I could just move the seat track to access the rear bolts then I could get it out. I wonder what the technician would do if the motors dont work to move the seat. It would have to come out to be replaced or serviced.

Regards,

Jay
nomorebmws

Post by nomorebmws »

same here, I have a 88 and the drivers side will not move but the motor works, I can see it moving when i press the button but looks like the mechanism next to the rail tracks? is stuck, I was able to remove a whole set of motors from one at the junk yard, but it took me to unbolt the rear bolts first and lift the seat towards the front,
disanged the small motor from the rail but it was a pain in the rear to removed the right side one since is longer and bolt on on 3 places.
I will not do that to my seat, you might bend something since I force the motor out. I have no idea how the tech service these seats in the past since is a real pain.
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

Jays635 wrote:
ozbmw wrote: .... If I could just move the seat track to access the rear bolts then I could get it out. I wonder what the technician would do if the motors dont work to move the seat. It would have to come out to be replaced or serviced.
When you can't move the seat to access the bolts in the floor, you unbolt the four blots that attach the seat to the top of the seat rail, and remove the seat leaving the seat rail and motors in the car (the floor bolts are now exposed). The top of the seat rails have flanges at the sides that extend out and the bolts travel up through them into the bottom of the seat at the four corners.
nomorebmws

Post by nomorebmws »

I will take pic's today, and will work on mine, is there a specific thing to look for when the motors seem to work when the buttons are press, but the seat don't move. I can hear the noise from the motor but it the seat does not slide front or backwards.
EMMMM_90

Post by EMMMM_90 »

Welcome to the madness Nomorebmws. I am located in Burbank as well. Cool Raffi is located in Glendale as more and more sixers are poping up in the Burbank/Glendale area.
Jays635

Post by Jays635 »

Chris Wright wrote:
Jays635 wrote:
ozbmw wrote: .... If I could just move the seat track to access the rear bolts then I could get it out. I wonder what the technician would do if the motors dont work to move the seat. It would have to come out to be replaced or serviced.
When you can't move the seat to access the bolts in the floor, you unbolt the four blots that attach the seat to the top of the seat rail, and remove the seat leaving the seat rail and motors in the car (the floor bolts are now exposed). The top of the seat rails have flanges at the sides that extend out and the bolts travel up through them into the bottom of the seat at the four corners.
Chris is this true of the electric sport seats? I did not see any bolts that connect the sport seats frame to the track. Please show me because I read about this in the Bently manual but did not see this on my electric sport seats.

Regards,

Jay
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

[quote="Jays635"]Chris is this true of the electric sport seats? I did not see any bolts that connect the sport seats frame to the track. Please show me because I read about this in the Bently manual but did not see this on my electric sport seats./quote]

D'oh! #-o

I spaced that they were Sport Seats, I really don't know .... :?
nomorebmws

Post by nomorebmws »

EMMMM_90 wrote:Welcome to the madness Nomorebmws. I am located in Burbank as well. Cool Raffi is located in Glendale as more and more sixers are poping up in the Burbank/Glendale area.
Thank you, do you guys meet up around Glendale/Burbank area? let me know so we can check out the cars.
nomorebmws

Post by nomorebmws »

the bolts are under the rail, attach to the bottom of the seat, you need a size 10mm to remove them, I just did mine, and everything works, I did pull the side motor out it seems to me that it was stuck, that fix the problem, put it back in, bolt the seat back on and now my driver seat works great.
Attachments
these is the motor I pull out, you need to removed the two bolts size 10mm and pry it out with a flat screw driver.
these is the motor I pull out, you need to removed the two bolts size 10mm and pry it out with a flat screw driver.
bmw 6 seats 002.jpg (407.96 KiB) Viewed 17496 times
a close up look,
a close up look,
bmw 6 seats 003.jpg (373.63 KiB) Viewed 17496 times
top seat removed, pushed back I did not unplug the wires because of the air bag, keep them plug in
top seat removed, pushed back I did not unplug the wires because of the air bag, keep them plug in
bmw 6 seats 004.jpg (457.59 KiB) Viewed 17496 times
nomorebmws

Post by nomorebmws »

I just read that you have sports seats, but it should not matter I guess, look under the seat by the rail, you have to get under it. good luck
nomorebmws

Post by nomorebmws »

and dont judge the dirt under the seat, you too will be surprise to find out how filthy is yours.
jah_shed

removing seat motors

Post by jah_shed »

I did this on both of my front seats and they worked fine for about a week and now they will no longer move back and forth again. Aside from replacing these motors has anyone found a perm fix for this issue besides removing the gears and putting them back in?
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

Ok, this answers how to get the Comfort Seats out ........ How did you get the Sport Seats out?? :-k Inquiring minds want to know! :mrgreen:
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

Chris Wright wrote:Ok, this answers how to get the Comfort Seats out ........ How did you get the Sport Seats out?? :-k Inquiring minds want to know! :mrgreen:
Bump .... do the Sport seats have the 4 bolts holding the bottom on like the Comfort seats?
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

Sorry Chris. Glad you bumped this. The sport seats do not have the four 6 mm shank bolts like the manual seats do. There was another recent post about how to make the motors move without electrical power and that is one way to get it done. Another option is to disassemble the hinges (front and back, so all four corners) of the seat as that is how the upper seat (cushions/framing) are attached to the control section with the rails, motors and control unit. I have several seats available for pics but little time to take any shots so if you want clarification let me know and I'll send you a couple of descriptive photos.

Ralph
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
travster

Re: 1986 Power Sport Seat questions

Post by travster »

Okay, I pulled out two pristine power sport seats from an e24 at the junkyard that no one seemed to be able to remove. Two bolts should be accessable, remove them and then look under the seat and find the motors that move the seat along the track. In the middle of the motor there is a hole, inside that hole you can insert an Allen wrench (don't recall what size) but once you locate the correct size, simply turn left or right depending if you want to go forward or backwards. You'll notice the seat will slowly begin moving. It will take a few minutes to move the seat far enough to access the other two bolts but it will eventually get there. Scored the ENTIRE interior of that car for under $200 and completely upgraded and color changed my interior.
wltoyboy

Post by wltoyboy »

travster wrote:Okay, I pulled out two pristine power sport seats from an e24 at the junkyard that no one seemed to be able to remove. Two bolts should be accessable, remove them and then look under the seat and find the motors that move the seat along the track. In the middle of the motor there is a hole, inside that hole you can insert an Allen wrench (don't recall what size) but once you locate the correct size, simply turn left or right depending if you want to go forward or backwards. You'll notice the seat will slowly begin moving. It will take a few minutes to move the seat far enough to access the other two bolts but it will eventually get there. Scored the ENTIRE interior of that car for under $200 and completely upgraded and color changed my interior.
Hello Travster,
Fantastic Buy, and if I may ask where did you find a Junkyard with a pristine e24 interior? When I get into any e24's at the wreckers, their interiors are all shot.
I am envious for sure, $200.00 for the complete interior is incredible. Did they have any Black interiors in good shape?
Gespy

Post by Gespy »

I am having the same issue with my driver side power seat. None of the controls are working and there is no motor sound. The seat controls went out seemingly overnight, but its possible I may have bumped something while driving. I have tested the wires going to the controls and there is no voltage in any on the drivers side. I believe this means my issue stems back to the controls wiring rather than the seat itself. Does anyone know whether there are any common failure points in that wiring as none of them work, however the one diverted to the passenger side does. Can the issue still do with the seat itself? Looking for advice as to where to go next. Also this is my first post here as I am a new owner, so I apologise if I've posted in the wrong place.

Best,
Garrett
86_6series
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by 86_6series »

Start with the fuse and work toward the switches

Page 5200-0

http://wedophones.com/Manuals/BMW/1986% ... Manual.pdf
86-635CSi
96-MB C220 SOLD
98-740i
71-Continental MK3
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

IIRC this came up many many years ago If you look at the front of the motor shaft under the seat, which I think is exposed, there is a square that the end of a 1/4" ratchet extension will fit into and you can turn the motor that way. I am going back to something discussed on the old roadfly forum where many of us came from so it could be a good 10 years ago so bear that in mind if I am wrong.
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
clipper47

Post by clipper47 »

I used an electric drill with a proper sized Allen wrench on the end of the motor shaft to move the seat back and forth to access the boots. The ratio of the motor is such that using a ratchet is slow.
Dave