1980 635CSi Euro

Document your Sixer project here.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

tschultz

1980 635CSi Euro

Post by tschultz »

Hello there.

I am a E28 owner and just purchased a Euro 635 last week.

It came with all the goodies including the M90 Ljet attached to a Dogleg 5-speed and a 3.07 diff. The car has nice manual Recaro seats and is black with no AC. Euro everything including the cluster. Not sure about the headlights, they seem to be sealed beams (not sure if Euro was different or not). No Cat. either. Needs a bit of work, but mechanically runs well, shifts well and sounds right. Minor rust, but nothing too serious.

It is a peppy car, and have been thrilled driving it on and off this last week.

Need to replace wheels and tires but here is how she sat when I pulled her in the driveway:

Then after cleaning it up a bit. Still want to wax and polish along with clean carpets and seats. Paint is a Maaco $1000 cheapo paint job, but could be worse. The filled the exterior side trim holes at that times (2005).
Mileage unknown
Seems to sit lower than the M6...
Next to my 535i

Need to fix some problems with:
missing passenger window motor.
battery drain
no high beams
intermittant instrument lights
hardly working sunroof
broken odo gears

Comments and help welcome.

EDIT: Updated some photo links
Last edited by tschultz on Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.Drive4Corners.com
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
'83 633CSi Callaway Turbo continued as 1988 535is Turbo
SOLD: '81 635CSi/A
Big6

Post by Big6 »

Looks good man. Euro bumpers do so much to clean up the lines.
PRJTGRMN_E24

Post by PRJTGRMN_E24 »

looks like the recaro seats were swapped in at some point given the pacific blue carpets and interior.

its too bad they removed the door trim on the side when they painted it. any plans to do any body/paint work on it at all?
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

Thanks 8)

Actually I am not sure the Recaro seats ever came in a color other than black.
The car originally was blue, and then the previous owner had it painted black.

For now I am just trying iron out the little issues it has. In the near future is a wheel swap, and I am interested ot see what it looks like with silver wheels and no side trim.

For now I got the drivers door latch/lock fixed. I think I found the battery drain that I had. Just finished vacuuming and removing stains of the interior (i still want to hit it again). Cleaning out the tail lights currently.

Got the sun roof moving somewhat. Also trying to polish off all the crud on the car along with cleaning/treating the rubber/vinyl trim.

Went for a drive yesterday with 4 other E24's, and the car performed well. The seats were comfortable, it just got a bit warm when I got back on the highway. I have pictures too.
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

7/10/10 - Went on a drive with a few local E24's. The '88 M6 belongs to "5280 JB"

Need to change out the wheels and see how the car looks and sits.

It was by far the longest I had driven it yet, and I was not disappointed. Was very neat to cruise with 4 other E24's and the E28 along those windy mountain roads!

Here are the best of my pictures.

Before the drive

Heading our way on the mountain roads

Quick break/ photo shoot

Coming Down

7/11/10 - Progress - I was able to find the battery drain was the trunk latch not completely closing to shut off the light. I vacuumed the car out real good and was able to take out multiple stains from the carpet. I cleaned out a bunch of junk and the car is looking real nice.
Next is slowly getting this resin (like real old dried on tree sap) off of the top of the car through polish and car washes.
Waiting for some proper BMW wheels lugs in order for the other set of wheels to fit properly. I am looking at fitting the e31 wheels onto this car, we will see how it turns out.

7/21/10 - Got the exhaust hung in the proper place now and swapped out the wheels. They look much better than the plain black.
Correct fuses with some rubber o-rings fixed intermittant problems with the sunroof, dash lights, and other little things. After using some rubber/ vinyl cleaner, the faded trim looks much better (Also did this on the rear spoiler). I polished the mirror chrome and cleaned all that up.

I took apart the passenger side door card and pulled out the window motor.
My dad helped me rig up a solution to fixing it because one of the two prong connectors had sheared off at the connection to the motor. We ended up taking it apart and soldering and rerouting a wire out the side. This fixed the motor, and now it is fully functional.

What's left is to continue cleaning up the paint, replacing odometer gears, solder up rear sidemarker wiring, redo headlight/ front turn signal wiring, get check panel fully functional.

Pictures of the wheels:

Comments Welcome
Last edited by tschultz on Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

tschultz wrote:
They did. I've got blue ones.
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
Godwin Lawrence

Nice one.

Post by Godwin Lawrence »

Any pics of interior/engine bay?
Godwin Lawrence
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

ron wrote:
tschultz wrote:
They did. I've got blue ones.
I've seen RED ones but they (and the car they were in) were utterly knackered sadly......

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

for now I have this one.

I still need to go through the headlight wiring though. There are some interior pictures in the first post showing the seats and things.

'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

7/30/10:
So I finished polishing the body of my 635CSi, it still has some crap stuck on the paint, but it is slowly coming off.

After the pictures were taken, I followed it up with a meguiars swirl remover and then used a buffer to help speed up the process.

Also completely eliminated bucking problem. A bad gound wire was intermittantly making a connection. Have now driven the car another 150 miles without problem. 8)

8/3/10:
Took apart the cluster and got all the dash cluster lights working. Still need to find out the number of teeth on my odometer gear so I can replace it. Will have to do another time. Now know how to remove everything so it should go more smoothly when i do try and pull it apart. The cluster is different than the E28/ late E24 cluster, and also different than the E12 cluster. But I image it can be taken apart the same way.

Got the rear sidemarker light soldered and functional. All rear lights are operable (even rear fog option).

Also tested the high beams and figured out the bulbs were burned out. Replaced them and now have properly functioning high beams (they stay on with low beams like euro spec should).

*Still need to figure out why one blinker barely illuminates at all.
Check panel is still only half operable.
May try a clay bar to finish cleaning up the paint.
Will have to source hood insulation and put little pieces back in the interior.
Have to replace the blown speaker and then work on cleaning the engine.
Repair crack in washer fluid container and see if wiper washers function*
Last edited by tschultz on Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

Had fun driving it for the last time in a while. Really liked cruising along in it.
Going to school and won't be driving it too much.
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

tschultz wrote: .... Will have to source hood insulation .....
The OEM open cell foam was still available last year, IIRC, but it is expensive and kind of flimsy.

Some have used an after market insulation with a silver surface and although it is good stuff, the silver looks kind of out of place.

Several have tried these closed cell hood liners and have been pleased, they are custom cut to fit the e24 (scroll down):
http://www.classic9leathershop.com/Hood ... ields.html

BUELLRIDER

Post by BUELLRIDER »

Whats up with that 68 CHARGER ??
1981 635 German FRANKEN6ER gray market RIG, 1988 635,91 Nissan 240SX , 1993 Harley 1340ccFXR Super Glide, 2000 M2 Buell 1200cc.
krackamcjack

Post by krackamcjack »

I like the black wheels on the old euro it reminds me of this one... I've got more pictures if anyone is interested. It also has the white cluster.
Attachments
610029_12.jpg
610029_12.jpg (47.81 KiB) Viewed 46466 times
610029_03.jpg
610029_03.jpg (48.14 KiB) Viewed 46468 times
BUELLRIDER

Post by BUELLRIDER »

That is a sweet black 6er and the wheels rock too.
1981 635 German FRANKEN6ER gray market RIG, 1988 635,91 Nissan 240SX , 1993 Harley 1340ccFXR Super Glide, 2000 M2 Buell 1200cc.
GWL

Post by GWL »

My 80 Euro has been in the family since I brought it back from Germany in late 1981. Yes the Recaros came in other than black. :D In 2006 my son got he car when I found my M6. If you need info on the 80 Euro and I have the answer I will share. BTW you can still see my Euro at http://www.dnjmoran.com/bcg/reg10.htm It is the second car down the page on the left side.
Last edited by GWL on Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

GWL wrote:My 80 Euro has been in the family since I brought it back from Germany in late 1981. Yes the Recaros came in other than black. :D In 2006 my son got he car when I found my M6. If you need info on the 80 Euro and I have the answer I will share.
That would be much appreciated! Thanks a lot GWL.

And everybody else, thanks for the comments. I do enjoy it and and still getting the little things together.

On the black basketweaves I am thinking goof off or something to clean the paint off. They have drips and don't looks good blaack. Want to have silver lips with gold weave. Not sure what the best product is for doing this.
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

Update:
I drove the car this last weekend, and really enjoyed it. It put a smile on my face and reminded me why I decided to buy it in the first place :)

*Still need to figure out why one blinker barely illuminates at all.
Check panel is still only half operable.
May try a clay bar to finish cleaning up the paint.
Will have to source hood insulation and put little pieces back in the interior.
Have to replace the blown speaker and then work on cleaning the engine.
Repair crack in washer fluid container and see if wiper washers function*
-So I figured out the wiring for the headlight was just thrown together and is using electrical tape to hold the connection. I will have to go through and redo the wiring, but for now it is functioning properly until I fix it.
-got door pull caps so the interior looks a bit better
-sourced an uncracked german fusebox cover to keep everything dry in there

Looking into using a meguiars or other sort of clay bar when i get space to work inside
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
GWL

Post by GWL »

Enjoy yourself. Bringing a six back is very rewarding. Frustrating at time but always rewarding.
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

The last drive before winter:
I washed and waxed the E24 before the drive. Really had fun and enjoyed the curvy mountain roads.

Last edited by tschultz on Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

Had the car out in December, thinking about starting it soon. Need to register it before I much of any driving.
From December:

Ordered a strut bar and will be likely putting it on wednesday.
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
Voltmeter

Post by Voltmeter »

Is your car lowered? I can't tell. Very pretty!
1980 635 CSi euro
2000 Buell M2 Cyclone
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

Voltmeter wrote:Is your car lowered? I can't tell. Very pretty!
Thanks, yes it is lowered. The old original tires show wear on the inner side indicating some negative camber.

It has been lowered with stiffer suspension (not by me). I haven't yet taken a close look to see exactly what springs/ shocks it has, but it rides nice and firm, and doesn't lean through the corners at all.
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

She is now registered :)
I will probably pull her out tomorrow, but will likely have to clean it up a bit before I take more pictures.

I am going to order a custom euro plate for the front, and put in a strut bar that I ordered.

Next on the list will be to drive it!!

Odometer will need to be fixed eventually but I'm not too worried about it right now.
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
Spasso

Post by Spasso »

I'm getting the itch to get mine out pretty soon. I've only driven it a couple times since I brought it home in March. I keep finding important (to me) "stuff" that MUST be done before I bring it out this summer.

Waiting on hubcentric rings and the rear shift support bushing this week. No more rowing the boat down the road.........................