Help Support Bigcoupe.com

Custom Tweeter and Subwolfer placement

This forum is dedicated to technical write-ups contributed by Bigcoupe.com members. Please submit an article you have written to brian@bigcoupe.com in order to have your article posted.

Moderators: bfons, GRNSHRK, ron

bcadmin
Site Admin

Post by bcadmin » Tue May 18, 2004 1:25 pm

<CENTER>
Submitted by Bobbo

This is the finished product, as installed. They started life as E30 3 series speakers.

Here is a shot with the speaker removed, showing how much material is required to be hogged out of the mirror mount, in order to clear the speaker magnet. Also note the top screw actually required some grinding too, also to clear the magnet.

Here?s another shot from a different angle. From here you can (sort of) see the tab that I had to glue on, which represents the same tab required to hold the original cover in place. All that?s required is that it mimic the original, with regard to location and make sure that the hole lines up too. This will be the only point that actually secures the speaker in place, so use some good glue. This a good view to see where all the grinding, cutting and fitting of the original speaker took place. If I remember, the only remaining edge that does not get altered is the one that has the rolled edge, same surface the you add the tab to, upper left in this view. Once again, just match the original panel, go slow and be careful!

Here?s one last shot showing the P/N and some info off the back of the speaker, Nokia products!

For those who might be concerned about removing material from the mirror mount and weakening it, this mod has been road tested at well over 100 mph, not to worry! Just ask anybody that attended the 2002 Pacific SharkFest, they?ll verify for you. Keep in mind that where the material was removed, it was not really doing anything structurally, plus it is already partially cut out square. I just opened it up enough to fit the magnet.

This last shot was for whoever was wondering about what other speakers I have installed. This is where I put the subwoofers, Kicker 6 x 9?s. This is a tight fit, but they do go here. I seem to recall having to cut out a bit of the underside of the seats, but once again, this material is not really doing anything. I should also mention that I put the original carpet back over the speakers, hoping for enough bass to come thru. Alas, not true, unfortunately. My goal, as others have mentioned, is to keep the look as stock as possible. I have a problem with cutting big holes in my door panels, carpeting, and the like. My 6er, as received from PO, had multiple holes in the door panels, custom midrange mounts where the map pockets were, and tweeters cut into the upper portion of the panels. All that had to go, hence the start of this project.

What I have now is as follows, starting with the power. Before I get into that, I should mention that the PO had redone the rear parcel shelf with a horrid looking black cover and had a ported subwoofer box in the trunk, with holes cut thru into the passenger area. While the bass was decent, I did not like loosing 1/3 of the trunk and the mess he did inside was just not going to cut it either. So I found used door panels in decent shape, and popped them on. Next was the process of finding a replacement parcel shelf and came up with a good setup from a late model which included the stock stereo speaker upgrade, sun shade, the works. After having the covers dyed to match my beige interior, I popped it in, direct fit. Next were the woofers, as you have seen. By the way, I have a Rockfort Fosgate 300 watt amp powering everything, in case anyone was wondering. Back to the front, there are active crossovers handling the frequency splitting, so all I had to do was wire the tweeters and then find mids that would fit the original 4 x 6 cutouts in the kick panels. While I started with Kicker 3.5? rounds, they turned out to be crap, having already blown one of them. Since then, Boston Acoustics 4? rounds are filling those spaces, much better product. These drivers are not cheap, but the construction will amaze you. Well, that?s it, 10 drivers, including the separate tweeters and mids in the factory upgrade system in the rear. I hope you guys find this info of some help. Any questions?, you know where to find me!

Post by Guest » Tue May 25, 2004 2:43 am

On the subs: did you find a way to boost the bass output? Would you change anything about the sub setup if you could do it again? Just wondering, as I'm thinking about adding non-intrusive sibs to my 6er in the future. Thanks

GRNSHRK
E12 Based Guru

Question o boosting bass output?

Post by GRNSHRK » Wed May 26, 2004 3:32 pm

Greetings guest!

My system is powered by a Rockford Fosgate 300W Bi-amp unit. So I have run one channel to the subs, the other channel to all the midrange and tweeter drivers. In this way, you can taylor the output frequencies to match what type of drivers they are putting power to.

Now if you are looking for that pounding bass you hear coming out of all these ricer POS cars on the road these days, this is not going to do it for you. You will not be rattling anybody's windows! It supplies more of a "presence" of bass, adding the required frequency blend rather than pounding it into you. So depends on your desired outcome.

6ers are dificult to put high powered stereos into, unless you are willing to compromise your interior and cut holes into your door panels and such. I was not interested in that cheap look. Heck, anybody can do that :)

So, if I was to do it over again, not sure if I would approach this project differently. I did finally remove the carpeting from the front of the subwoofers, as I was able to get my hands on some grills. This has greatly improved the impact and you can feel the bass now :)

HTH!
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi
Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2011 F10 528i
2005 E46 330 Ci Cabrio

You can never have too many BMW's

AMGraham

Post by AMGraham » Wed May 26, 2004 9:05 pm

Hey, that was me before.. I had trouble loggin in :evil:

Anyway, that sounds like what I need. I play bass so I'm not looking to rattle windows, just hear my instrument in the music I listen to...

Thanks for the info!

AG

dalkaveli

Post by dalkaveli » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:09 am

I have a question in regards to this. This looks really appealing, I've discovered 2 pods on ebay, however they seem to look slightly different and am wondering, and wanting to clarify if you shaved off the corners of the pods to do this? Here are the ones on ebay.
1st http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E30- ... dZViewItem

2nd http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E30- ... dZViewItem

GRNSHRK
E12 Based Guru

E30 front tweeter fitment

Post by GRNSHRK » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:10 pm

Howdy!

The ones you are looking at on "the bay" are teh same ones I started with. Since there are none that fit the actual profile (angle) of the 6 series door, you will have to modify "something" to make them fit correctly :?

Basically, what you have to do is trim these down until they match the same angle as the blank plates that are now behind the mirrors. Takes some time to get it right, if you don't want it to appear like a total hack job :roll:

You will also have to glue on a tab, again to match the tab on the plates that are now there, in order to hold these in place. Not difficult, but make sure you use some good glue :wink:

Last issue is that the magnet on the backs of the speakers will interfere with the mirror mounts, so I had to do some grinding to make enough room to clear the speaker magnets. Again, this will take some time, but if you are dilligent and have some patience, you will wind up with a quality installation that looks stock 8)

E me or PM me if you have more questions. And I now own a camera, so I can provide all kinds of pix now :lol:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi
Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2011 F10 528i
2005 E46 330 Ci Cabrio

You can never have too many BMW's

dalkaveli

Post by dalkaveli » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:58 pm

Cool Bob thanks for the reply! Now to see if they're still available. Once I secure a set I'll give this a go. :)