Another queston about door locks!

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

jono

Another queston about door locks!

Post by jono »

Hello all,

my problem with my door locks is the barrel looks like it may have been tampered with in the past,( before i bought it), it looks like some s**t has tryed to bang a screwdriver into it and steal it, my car still locks and unlocks with a bit of a wiggle the central locking working but will not unlock/lock the boot or passenger door individually? any ideas ?- also what would i need for the drivers lock to smarten it up.

Thanks

jono
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

Sounds as if your central locking is working all the time? Have you tried locking the others with the driver's door unlocked?

There is a small sprung plate which sits on the outside of the lock which I think has probably been damaged. It has no effect upon the working of the lock, but just makes it look "tidy" and keeps dust/water out. In my experience, it is virtually impossible to replace this as the parts are extremely small & fiddly. IMO the only viable way forward is to replace the complete lock if the missing plate bothers you.
jono

Post by jono »

Thanks, i will have a look tomorrow and give it a go, but i am pretty sure the locks dont work either with the drivers side unlocked or locked also my
key doesnt work on the glove box i know this nothing major but it might explain something

jono
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

If your key doesn't work on the glovebox, then you must have had some of the locks replaced at some time. Maybe I misunderstood your question. The best way to check is to remove all the lock barrels and see if the numbers match.
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

Pod wrote:There is a small sprung plate which sits on the outside of the lock which I think has probably been damaged. It has no effect upon the working of the lock, but just makes it look "tidy" and keeps dust/water out. In my experience, it is virtually impossible to replace this as the parts are extremely small & fiddly. IMO the only viable way forward is to replace the complete lock if the missing plate bothers you.
I have replaced the sprung plate separately, and it worked for about two years before it broke again. It would have been just as easy to replace the cylinder as you suggest....

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

Check out this thread for lots of good links and discussions on the lock cylinder and a look at a new lock Assy. that has been reduced in price (still not cheap!). There are repair cylinders available, but with the price reduction, a whole new Assy, is almost the same price as just the replacment cylinder alone and you get a new lock heater to boot!

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh ... st21555610

Courtesy of M6csi: