M6 Sway Bars

Post in this forum for topics relating to suspension, steering, and brakes

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

The Don

M6 Sway Bars

Post by The Don »

Hi. I looked to see if there was a difference between the M6 sway bar and my stock sway bar, but could not come up with anything. I'm pretty sure that the sway bar on the M6 is longer, than my stock one.

I was wondering if it was, and what kind of performance I can expect if I put it on my car?
GWL

Re: M6 Sway Bars

Post by GWL »

The Don wrote:Hi. I looked to see if there was a difference between the M6 sway bar and my stock sway bar, but could not come up with anything. I'm pretty sure that the sway bar on the M6 is longer, than my stock one.

I was wondering if it was, and what kind of performance I can expect if I put it on my car?
Not longer, but thicker by 2MM on the front and 1 MM on the Rear. BTW, I have a set of M6 sway bar from my 87 M6 If You are looking for a set. They Will bolt right in and need no welding of brackets like the thicker 25MM M5 sway bar.
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

some early E28 chassis 6ers use a pair of sway (anti-roll) bars that are completely different from later E28 chassis cars. My '87 and '85 cars use the later type, but Ivan's 635 uses the earlier type.

Basically if your front bar has a big kink in it you have the early type and the later sort (as fitted to all M6 IIRC) won't fit.

Also note that (in the UK anyway) a lot of M635s seeming had exactly the same ARBs fitted as the 635 and 628 models; only some have a larger front (25mm?) and rear bars fitted as per the E28 M5, despite what the ETK might say.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GWL

Post by GWL »

Brucey wrote:some early E28 chassis 6ers use a pair of sway (anti-roll) bars that are completely different from later E28 chassis cars. My '87 and '85 cars use the later type, but Ivan's 635 uses the earlier type.

Basically if your front bar has a big kink in it you have the early type and the later sort (as fitted to all M6 IIRC) won't fit.

Also note that (in the UK anyway) a lot of M635s seeming had exactly the same ARBs fitted as the 635 and 628 models; only some have a larger front (25mm?) and rear bars fitted as per the E28 M5, despite what the ETK might say.

cheers
Nice to know. I had thought that the change was when they went from the E12 to E28 chasis. I learn something new about BMW every day. :D