Exterior door handle removal

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Exterior door handle removal

Post by baders »

Having some flaking paint and corrosion around the exterior door handle I decided to remove the mechanism for repainting. This is a task best left to when you are in a reasonably good mood, the dog is at relatives (so you do not kick it), the wife is away (so you do not snap at her), and plenty of time :evil: Oh yes, you're going to need plenty of time for this.

Just some quick photos that may help someone in doing this onerous task. Sometimes pictures tell a thousand words.

1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

Is there a defined disassembly and reassembly sequence. What needs to be lubricated and recommended stuff?
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

The sequence is fairly evident when you start the job. Basically remove all the bolts, remove the lever, remove the pin, remove the C clip by pushing to the rear, slide off lock heater toward centre, remove bar clip, remove bar, remove the lock barrel by turning 90 degrees.

The C clip is the killer. This secures the whole lock barrel and mechanism in place. It is a real bitch to get back on on re-assembly as there is almost no room to manoeuvre it. Before doing this job, make sure you have any necessary parts like door handle padding rubbers or worn parts. You will only want to do this job once I can assure you :evil:
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Re: Exterior door handle removal

Post by Brucey »

the photos posted upthread no longer appear in a useful form. I think this may be 'photofeckets' latest strategy to increase their revenue somehow.

The problem with free photo hosting sites is that they are at liberty to change their conditions of business at any time and this may result in your photos no longer being seen properly.

The problem uploading photos to forums is that it clutters up their server and there is a danger that (e.g. when moving servers) said pictures can be lost.

When bigcoupe moved servers a few years ago, quite a few of the photos that I'd uploaded were lost. I'm still finding missing ones even now.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~