Is my OBC differnt?

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

mr brick driver

Is my OBC differnt?

Post by mr brick driver »

I have not seen one that looked simialr to this before. Does anyone know about this particular model of OBC? Thanks, Nick
Attachments
Nick pics 215.jpg
Nick pics 215.jpg (131.83 KiB) Viewed 7011 times
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

What year is your car?
mr brick driver

Post by mr brick driver »

chris Wright wrote:What year is your car?
It's a 1983 633 US Model.

With this, is their a way I can read the vin code and get the exact date of manufacture? Thanks, Nick
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

I've got a 1983 635CSi, and the OBC is identical to yours.....

It's known as OBC 1, and has the "proper" 0-9 calculator-style numeric keypad
mr brick driver wrote:....is there a way I can read the vin code and get the exact date of manufacture?
Not with the OBC you can't :!: Instead, open up the engine bay; you will find the full VIN code on a plate in or near the scuttle (mine's on the right-hand side)
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

mr brick driver wrote: It's a 1983 633 US Model.

With this, is their a way I can read the vin code and get the exact date of manufacture? Thanks, Nick
Open the drivers door and check for two stickers on the end of the door. They should have, among other things, the VIN code and a separate Build Date. The Build Date is important for ordering parts and should be something like 11/82 or 4/83, etc.. U.S. cars are also required to have the VIN code on a tag on the dash visiable through the driver's side windshield.
If you don't have the stickers, go to www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do and enter your VIN and see if it gives you the Build Date.
greyeagle

me still got probs with mine!!

Post by greyeagle »

Y'day,whilst trying to get this 'thing'working I noticed somebody had very kindly spliced a black box (part of alarm i assumed)into the back of silver box for obc,on the black multi connector(next to yellow multiconnector) and one end had disconnected,so being inquisitive i reconnected said box,and voila,four little dots on the obc,i thought a quick prod of the buttons would enlighten me,but car wouldnt start.I decided my initial diagnosis of said box was part of immobilzer and disconnected it.
Still with me?
One end of the splice,the LIVE end( colour coded red/white) touched the bodywork,and the inevitable spark.
Tonight I've been out,checked the fuze in the silver box,fine.But now the 'LIVE' red/white line is dead.Checked all the fuse's in the box and they are okay.
http://wedophones.com/Manuals/BMW/1983% ... Manual.pdf
I've checked the above and the only red/white I can see feeds from the dash to the box and onto obc.
with the antistart device on the obc,if i dont enter the code,which i dont know,i assume the car wont start.
could this be the reason it didnt/wouldnt start.and will it work even thought i hadnt set the time date?
Any Ideas,its 83 635csi euro,with the calculator stylie
cheers in advance
PRJTGRMN_E24

Post by PRJTGRMN_E24 »

my '84 has the same OBC unit -- its honestly my favorate design compared to the updated ones used after 85...

the reason yours may not be working is prolly the same reason why mine doesn't either -- if the car is jump started it will blow the fuse....and the fuse is inside the OBC itself. try replacing that fuse to see if it comes back to life, otherwise check to make sure the unit is getting a electrical signal to begin with.

i haven't fiddled around much with mine to bother to get it working just yet, been more focusing more on the engine and body for the time being.

let me know how it goes!
greyeagle

Post by greyeagle »

thanks for the reply,I've checked the fuse (in the silver box with the yellow/black multiplug connections behind the glovebox),and its fine.
I didnt realise there was a fuse in the dash mounted obc(the bit with all the buttons),only the bulbholder at the back,and the bulbs fine.
The curious thing is,that the 'LIVE' side of the wire ,touched metal and sparked,but now appears dead.
This wire is coming OUT of loom INTO black connector.
I've checked fuses in the main fuse box,including the two I've got on my passenger wing,and they are fine.
All other dash bits work,I know its not important in the fact it dont,but if its for the sake of a blown fuse,hidden amongst all this bavarian tractor wire,then I might as well,the more buttons to press the better!!
Thanks again
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

I'm not quite sure what it is that is wrong? Will the car not start or is it just that the OBC is dead?

The anti-thieft code is one that you make up, so there is no factory code that you don't know. The only way you would not know it is if you put one in and forgot it.

Have you seen the OBC manual posted by "Joe M in WV" here:

viewtopic.php?t=6305

Here it is:

greyeagle

obc is dead

Post by greyeagle »

I've managed to get the car started again after I disconnected a black box that looked like it had been grafted into the red/white lead going INTO the black multiblock on the silver box mounted in the glovebox.The car would not start with this retro fitted box connected but the ocu displayed four dots.
Unfortunately, when I disconnected this unknown box,the live side of the red/white wire touched earth and sparked.This once 'live' is now dead,and no display(four dots is best I've got so far).
I've since soldered the two ends together,removing said box but still nuffin' on the obc,so I am assuming a blown fuse,but where?
I'll get some piccies on here of the box i took off,unless its a factory fit thing.
greyeagle

Post by greyeagle »

the colour that shorted was grey/red NOT white/red.
I've got power going to the dimmer-brightness, but obc still doesnt display the four dots I had before.