Help picking out a car for winter use?

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Red_Shark

Help picking out a car for winter use?

Post by Red_Shark »

Hello! I own a 1987 635CSi 5sp for almost 4 years now. I live in the New England area, so lots of snow. Usually I was able to avoid going out during crappy conditions with the car during winter. But getting older and having more responsibilities is making me take the car out in nastier weather. Even though the car is a beast in snow (LSD with winters), I don't want to keep driving it during winter. I recently rebuilt most of the driver rear quarter, due to rust, which made me realize how much of a PITA it is to deal with rust repairs. The car itself has very minimal rust after the repair, and the plan is to keep it that way. Now I'm in the market for some sort of winter DD or even a full DD replacement while the 6er gets historic plates. :shock:
I have several ideas, but I'm not sure which to pick. An E46 (would be AWD), an E39 or least practical, an Audi Ur-S4. The E39 is my #1 choice but no AWD is kind of a turn off. I have a friend with a E46 325xit and I've noticed it tends to understeer like a boat during snow driving. The Audi would be cool as hell but not exactly sure how practical it would be being such a rare car in the U.S. Hell, another option would be to take the money I've saved and use it to upgrade the 6er :D
So what do you guys think? Any input will be helpful!
brickwhite

Re: Help picking out a car for winter use?

Post by brickwhite »

Here is mine

Not a BMW but it's for winter and hauling stuff.

96 Toyota Landcruiser......

- 4.5L bulletproof straight 6
-All wheel drive
-kinda rusty, don't mind driving it in the salt
-Third row seats
-locking diffs
-Drinks gas!!!

- 12 535i
- 92 325ic
Red_Shark

Post by Red_Shark »

Not a bad idea! I would definitely consider something like that. The only problem is that I am thinking about using the second car as DD and putting the 6er away to come out only on nice days. And mostly because I am tired of the A/C blowing hot air on me during the summer.
brickwhite

Post by brickwhite »

with gas at $1.45 a gallon, I do daily drive it.
- 12 535i
- 92 325ic
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

You can't go wrong with a Jeep!
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

We love our 2006 535xi wagon. The AWD is great and at this point I am confident in sharing the the model specific niggles you should be aware of. I would absolutely recommend the model, you just need to find a good example.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
Red_Shark

Post by Red_Shark »

Definitely considered a Jeep! There is one thing keeping me away from them. Most of my car friends see Jeeps as more fun if they are owned by someone else because of some of their issues.

If I could find an E60 for a reasonable price I would definitely buy it!