Help Support Bigcoupe.com

stuck door!

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: ron, bfons, GRNSHRK

Brucey
6 Series Guru

stuck door!

Post by Brucey » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:13 am

one of the many things that has happened recently is that I have not been able to work on my project car. This means the door has not been opened for some time. IIRC it was reluctant to close when I last closed it, too. Anyway I recently tried to open it and it was no-go; the key turns but wouldn't turn far enough to unlock the door. Unfortunately my welding set (amongst other things) is inside the car ….

I plan to open the door from the other side (which is not readily accessible, else I'd have done it already). IIRC a locked door will open if you simply pull the handle (although this may not be right if the dealock is locked...?) Past that I'm at reaching in with pieces of bent wire trying to hook the latch or something...?

all suggestion welcome.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

sharkfan

Re: stuck door!

Post by sharkfan » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:19 pm

I'm always up for a Brucey challenge!

So for reference there is 30cm from the swage line on the door to the top of the door bumper trim. Arm yourself with a WD40 straw and then head to the door. From the door trim find a spot about 5 or 6cm up from the trim and insert the straw with a 30 degree angle to the door at the bottom of the straw; this trick finds the angle of the rubber seal around the door and allows the straw past the seal - you should feel a 'resistance' before you feel the 'penetration'.

Insert the straw about half way then work the straw up so it is horizontal about 12cm up from the door trim, then attach a can of WD40/3-in-one oil/grease/silicon lube/concoction of your own choice - spray liberally and hope that frees off the catch that holds the door to the pin on the door frame.

My attempts to directly insert the straw at the correct 12cm height resulted in a bent straw hence the slightly convoluted method to ensure the straw passes the door seal. The 12cm height should ensure a good spray zone around the pivot point of the catch.

Good luck.

Edit to add; I've just been out to my M635 and low and behold the passenger door catch was sticky so I can confirm that liberal WD40 will very soon free off the troublesome sticky catch - by the way, my door catch didn't open on the inner door handle either. Mine is now free to move so I have sprayed it up with 3-in-one to prevent any post-WD40 corrosion.
2001 Alpina B10 V8 Touring (1 of 12 rhd)
1997 Alpina B12 5.7 L (1 of 2 rhd)
1995 Alpina B10 4.6 Touring (1 of 1 rhd)
1985 BMW M635CSi (1 of 524 rhd)
1982 BMW 635CSiA (1 of 100's left from the 1000's made and still valiantly fighting against a rusty grave)

Brucey
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:47 pm

thanks Kevin; I shall gird my loins and have a go at it tomorrow .

cheers

Brucey
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:57 pm

update; I have squirted lube, tugged as hard as hard as I dare on the handles, and I can't get in to either door. I think if I pull any harder the handles will break.

This being a project car the battery isn't connected; one idea is to connect a battery and hope that the central locking helps out somehow. I think the locks have turned far enough and the resistance in the handles is the mechanism binding, but I suppose it is possible that this is not the case.

Anyone got any more ideas?

cheers

Brucey
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:39 am

thanks, I shall try that. However I am slightly worried that n'er-do-wells will read this and also know how to get into E24s now... Then again maybe they know already....

cheers

Pod
Bigcoupe supporter

Post by Pod » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:41 pm

Brucey wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:57 pm
Anyone got any more ideas?

cheers
A house brick. Then I can send you a free window (but postage down to you!)

derekal

Post by derekal » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:07 pm

Hi Brucey,

This worked for me some time ago - topic "Locked out and door not working"

http://bigcoupe.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.ph ... 45#p201544

Best of luck,

Derek