Help Support Bigcoupe.com

Custom cup holder install

This forum is dedicated to technical write-ups contributed by Bigcoupe.com members. Please submit an article you have written to brian@bigcoupe.com in order to have your article posted.

Moderators: bfons, GRNSHRK, ron

bcadmin
Site Admin

Custom cup holder install

Post by bcadmin » Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:52 pm

Provided by Peter Siposs

The BMW 635 has very little options in the way of holding your favorite commuting beverage. The type that hangs on the door window just doesn't work well since there is little place to put it without blocking something and shutting the door means almost certain spilling of the drink. Others just have no place to hang or clip onto. Some require screwing or glueing onto something and I didn't want to permanently mark up my car or damage something hiding behind the area I would consider drilling into - like AC freon lines going to the rear AC system. I found that the type that folded out of the way when not in use worked best since they took little room. But where to put it? I bought the one shown at a Sav-On Drugs store for about $6. It had a rubbery sheet normally intended to slip into a door window seal but I removed that and made up a metal bracket. I had a piece of scrap metal about the size I wanted and bent it into a Z shape in a vice. This allows the piece to slip into the console side covers and sit on top of the transmission tunnel edge under the cover. The back of the unit just leans against the near vertical wall of the tunnel. I found it best to slide the unit in from the forward section under the dash and slide it back to where ever I wanted. As the seat may need to move forward or backward it can be moved as desired. Nothing permanent and entirely removable, yet strong enough to hold a common soda can or coffee cup. Its not really in the way of your legs/knees when open and certainly not when closed. I have one on each side so the passengers are less likely to spill theirs. Sure beats squeezing your drink between your legs!