starting problem, no spark ,1987 L-6

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

gkrieck

starting problem, no spark ,1987 L-6

Post by gkrieck »

Suddenly, my L-6 won't start. It was running great, and wasn't having a problem. Now, it wants to start, but won't. I don't seem to have any spark at the end of the plug wire. Does anyone have an idea where I could begin to check? I believe the coil is fine. I'm not sure where to go from here. This is my first BMW, so I'm running blind.
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

If you are sure there is no spark (check with a spare plug if in doubt), then the first thing to check would be the fuel pump.

When you turn the ignition to II you should hear the fuel pump run for about three seconds. If the relay or pump is bad, you will have no fuel pressure and the car won't start. It might just splutter a bit if there is any fuel left in the fuel rail.

If the battery leads are loose or badly connected then it is possible for the stater to turn but the ECU to lose power. and this causes all kinds of problems. As me how I know this....

If you have any more detailed symptoms it may be that someoone else has encountered the exact same problem as you and will be able to help.

HTH

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

Try the relays, they are good suspects a lot of the time
jhill144

no spark

Post by jhill144 »

I just had this problem and right after I installed new plugs/wires/rotor/cap/and coil. The problem was the flywheel pickups or sensors , wahtever you want to call them. They mount to the bell housing and you need two, both the same. When I replaced them, my 635 started right up and ran much better. James
Attachments
BMW 2.JPG
BMW 2.JPG (210.1 KiB) Viewed 2526 times