Knocking noise from rear suspension

Post in this forum for topics relating to suspension, steering, and brakes

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

sideshowbob

Knocking noise from rear suspension

Post by sideshowbob »

I have a '88 635 CSi, with stock suspension.

My garage has replaced several bushes on the rear suspension as and when required for MOT testing.

However, the car has an intermitTent knocking noise from the rear.
This noise will occur when driving at slow speed say over a lowered kerb when entering my drive.

I am not sure whether it is associated with the top mounts or possibly the stabiliser/roll bar drop links. (Part 5 in diagram)

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=33_0272

In an effort to go about this systematically and with least expense and effort how easy is it to replace these drop links and the other two securing bushes brackets that locate the stabilizer/roll bar.
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Re: Knocking noise from rear suspension

Post by Brucey »

the roll bar parts are not too difficult to replace. However it is normally pretty obvious if they are faulty, too; you should be able to see if the rubbers are perished and/or the metal parts have been touching one another.

also check that the lower bolts onto the shocks are properly tight; if they are not and the shocks are moving around then this can make a noise too.

FWIW if the sound is a bit like the sound you get when you drop a golf ball about two inches onto a suspended wooden floor (bare floorboards) but louder, this means it is odds-on likely to be bad top mounts, IME.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
sideshowbob

Re: Knocking noise from rear suspension

Post by sideshowbob »

Thanks Brucey...