Spring perch issue

Post in this forum for topics relating to suspension, steering, and brakes

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

kylepavao

Spring perch issue

Post by kylepavao »

Good afternoon,

My 88 E24 has what looks to be Bilstein B8s with blue colored springs installed by previous owner. Issue is it is set at the highest setting, so the car sits high. I used a standard set of two jar spring compressors, jacked the car up with the wheel still on, and was able to compress the spring. Issue is it only compresses from the top...the spring is still sitting on the perch. I tried putting some blocking up and dropping the wheel down on top of it...to now avail.

I guess my question would be what would you guys suggest to free the perch from the circlip so I could move it down a few positions? A piece of wood with the circumference cut out? Then maybe leverage it on the tire? Just curious if you guys have ever adjusted it while still on the car. Familiar with fixing cars, but never fooled with adjustable suspension components.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Re: Spring perch issue

Post by Brucey »

the perch ought to slide up the shock body, whether the spring is attached to it or not. However if the spring is not compressed evenly (i.e. so the perch is cocked) then this may prevent the perch from moving easily.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
kylepavao

Re: Spring perch issue

Post by kylepavao »

Brucey,

Thank you for the advice! My first time with adjustable suspension and just needed to give it a little muscle to move it up, and adjusted it today. Looks much better now..was at the highest setting on the shock (had 5 settings) and I moved it down two. Just right!