Bilsteins and H&Rs

Post in this forum for topics relating to suspension, steering, and brakes

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Rondel Fan

Bilsteins and H&Rs

Post by Rondel Fan »

I have a question i haven't seen asked on previous threads. I just started swapping the rears for Bilstein B6's and H&Rs that I bought on sale last summer. My question is on which new spring perch to use and which way to orient it.
The stock strut has a flat bottomed perch and flat bottomed spring pad.Image

If I place the perch with the "domed" side up, which would put the built in retaining circlip relief in the perch right where you'd think it belongs, There is nothing "positive" to center the spring on the hat.Image

If I orient the perch with the domed/dished side down, The spring simply sits on the outer rim also with nothing to keep it centered on the perch. Both of these seem very suboptimal. The directions on both the Billies and the H&Rs is silent on this.
BTDTs welcome.
thx
mike
jps635
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Bilsteins and H&Rs

Post by jps635 »

Is orientated such that the actual spring perch sits below the retaining circlip if that makes any sense. I don't recall any issues with rotational alignment but was a while ago.

What height to set at depends on what you want. I have mine set at 2nd lowest which gives a ground to underside of guard height of 632mm, with 255/40/17 @ 32psi. Note they do settle after a while
'85 635csi JPS (RA2-66)
Rondel Fan

Re: Bilsteins and H&Rs

Post by Rondel Fan »

Thanks. I think the problem is that ECS listed two options for rear shocks on the 635 (B46-01819, B24-006071) and I got the B46 "wrong ones" The others have a spring perches just like the original. I think a return is in order.