Rough/Surging idle... smoke

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

WriterJWA

Rough/Surging idle... smoke

Post by WriterJWA »

I've been having some idle problems. Basically, before the motor warms up the idle struggles around 500 rpms. After it warms up it does a little better.

I cleaned the ICV and after a few seconds, the idle sat just around 1000 rpms, but every so often the motor will go into a surge pattern. Additionally, I get what kinda smells like exhaust smoke from the back of the motor at inconsistent volumes.

I thought maybe I have a vacuum leak, but when I pull the dipstick while running and the idle rpms drop. Any thoughts?
CASixer

Post by CASixer »

Maybe time for a new oxygen sensor?
1982 633csi. 5 speed, Safaribeige/Red
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

After I cleaned my ICV, the car went into a surge problem at idle. I had to go buy a new ICV to cure the idle. (I had cleaned the ICV in an attempt to get the idle speed down, but it turned out to be the TPS was incorrectly adjusted instead. Expensive mistake.)
1983 633CSi 5-speed Black & Tan
2008 X5 4.8i
2004 MINI Cooper S 6-speed
2001 Z3 3.0i 5-speed
DFW Texas
slofut

Re: Rough/Surging idle... smoke

Post by slofut »

WriterJWA wrote:I've been having some idle problems. Basically, before the motor warms up the idle struggles around 500 rpms. After it warms up it does a little better.

I cleaned the ICV and after a few seconds, the idle sat just around 1000 rpms, but every so often the motor will go into a surge pattern. Additionally, I get what kinda smells like exhaust smoke from the back of the motor at inconsistent volumes.

I thought maybe I have a vacuum leak, but when I pull the dipstick while running and the idle rpms drop. Any thoughts?
Still suspect a vacuum leak, the big rubber plenum between the afm and the intake, and the 1in diameter hose off the side of it. Squeeze it good if you don't think it's cracked... Unless you've already replaced it. Also, a couple small hoses attached to the underside of the intake manifold, not uncommon for them to come off, but I suspect a larger leak.
'87 635csi, 5sp man, dk blu on pearl beige
'88 635csi, auto, black on grey
'63 BMW Isetta
'75 XJ6C, 2dr, warm 350
'86 XJ6, th700r4
'75TR6
'64 Olds 88 conv
"68 T120 Bonneville