Oil Pump Upgrade

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

joe boston

Oil Pump Upgrade

Post by joe boston »

I was searching this forum but have not found any info on later M30 Oil Pumps from 82-89 if they can be retrofit on M90 engine 3.5L 1980 ?
Not sure if anyone here has any info, if they have upgraded to the newer Oil Pump with relief value...if so would the sprocket and timing chain match up..
any info is appreciated.
thanks Joe
jps635
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Oil Pump Upgrade

Post by jps635 »

Have a look here. This is set for my car (84/85), but plug in your own model. Shows ineterchangeability
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=11_0485

If still stuck, contact Carl Bennet at Korman Autoworks, http://www.kormanautoworks.com/contact.htm
'85 635csi JPS (RA2-66)
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Joe, gonna move this thread to the mechanical section, you may get more input there [-o<
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Whats wrong with yours? I had my M90 motor rebuilt at one of the top builders in Phoenix. He said there was no reason to replace it. The gears weren't worn and it was tight. What he did do was shim the springs to get more pressure out of it. So maybe give yours a good going over. Otherwise call Carl Nelson at La Jolla Independent BMW. He always answers the phone and if he doesn't who ever does should be able to give you a quick answer At almost $400 a pop for a new pump I would check yours carefully
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
joe boston

Post by joe boston »

well i don't know the condition of the pump, I had the motor at machine shop, pistons are stock, rings have been replaced, along with rod bearing and crank shaft polish and bearing..I also added a shrick cam, but the machine shop said there is an upgrade pump with a relief valve for later models, i should look into it.. but it wasn't because my pump was in bad condition that warranted a new pump...

I will look into ..thanks bert..
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Joe I spent a good amount of money on my rebuild. Didn't go Schrick but did have my cam reground by Schneider Cams in San Diego to a 284. Custom forged pistons a lot of head work and every thing else port matched. The shop that did the work does mostly funny car and dragster motors so I felt comfortable with what they said. Original pistons are only giving you 9.4:1 in an M90 the pistons I had made are true 10:1 so I am not sure I would worry about an oil pump as you don't have a radically built motors
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
86_6series
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by 86_6series »

Hi Bert,

Finally got the car back and it's a hoot to drive. I did not upgrade the oil pump
the builder said it looked real good, mechanical pressure gauge showing 18-20 lbs
at idle and 50 plus at speed.

Tuners said 255ish hp at crank, 215 bhp.

For less money turbo would have given me gobs more power, oh well
still a blast to drive and it is fast I'll have to say that. A head snapper
slamming second. I can't seem to convert I phone .mov videos to jpg to
load on this site but I'll keep on trying.
86-635CSi
96-MB C220 SOLD
98-740i
71-Continental MK3
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

My engine builder estimates that is about what I should get out of mine. He said about 40+HP over stock. Luckily in PHX things are not as expensive as NY so mine cost me a fair bit less a good bit less than a turbo build
Jsladovich

Post by Jsladovich »

Hello. I’m new to the forum and we just bought a 635csi lemons car. We did a Dyno pull today and well, she’s tired. Any advice on cam shafts? Thx.
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

No more than a 284 grind. You will find Schrick is out and will be for some time. You might try Schneider Cams in San Diego. They can grind you a new one or regrind yours. Ireland Engineering also sells a good line of cams and you might give them a shout What do you really expect a cam to do on a tired engine except make it more tired. You are better off spending the money on another motor.