Trans. fluid leak

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

tmoretta

Trans. fluid leak

Post by tmoretta »

My "88 M6 5 speed has a small but persistent leak from the output shaft seal. Now, the seal was changed a few thous. miles ago and I have refilled with Red Line MTL. Does someone make some kind of super duty seal or should I consider a heavier fluid?
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Trans. fluid leak

Post by baders »

Was the new seal an OEM or OE item ? Are you sure the installation was done correctly ? No aspersions, just that it's easy to stuff up this job. (Ask me how).

Edit. Sorry was this gearbox or diff ? I was referring to diff. If gearbox ignore me :)
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
635sharknose

Post by 635sharknose »

Did you check the gearbox vent? Perhaps it is blocked.
When blocked, oil could be pressed out the seals due to a too high pressure inside the gearbox.

vent.jpg
vent.jpg (21.88 KiB) Viewed 2480 times
Paul
Instagram: @635sharknose
1987 635CSi Bronzitbeige
tmoretta

Post by tmoretta »

Thanks for the info guys. I did not install the trans. seal. I will check the vent.