Flashing CEL and Coolant light on?

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Ethanh100

Flashing CEL and Coolant light on?

Post by Ethanh100 »

Hello,
The other day I was driving my 6'er and I pulled on to the highway. The engine wasnt totally up to temperature but it certainly wasn't cold. I stepped on it a bit and I notice the check engine light started flashing, and the coolant light to the left of the dashboard came on. Then engine however felt totally fine, good linear power and sounded healthy. However the fact that the check engine light was flashing concerned me because as far as I know that indicates a misfire. But I didnt see how that was at all related to coolant.

After a minute of driving the check engine light turned off and the coolant light stayed on until I turned the car off then back on.

So is the check engine light flashing indicating a misfire, or does the CEL on these just always flash, and its indicating a coolant fault.

I suppose it is possible I have a bit of a misfire because occasionally I get a bit of a bouncing idle that will sometimes cause the rpm to drop far enough to make it stall, but then I turn the car back on and its fine. So maybe a bad coil? and the coolant is totally unrelated and just low or something? Thanks!
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Flashing CEL and Coolant light on?

Post by Ralph in Socal »

CEL on these cars only apply to the systems monitored on the Check Panel. The CEL initially comes on at startup until you step on the brake or push the Test button on the Check Panel

The CEL will then flash if one of the system sensors finds a fault. CEL flash turns off after pushing the Check button

The coolant light came on when the coolant level sensor registered a fault. You could be marginally low on coolant or have an intermittent sensor

Ralph
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
plip1953

Post by plip1953 »

Surely it's just a case of low coolant level?
Phil

1988 Highline 635 CSi
Ethanh100

Post by Ethanh100 »

Ralph in Socal wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 5:26 pm CEL on these cars only apply to the systems monitored on the Check Panel. The CEL initially comes on at startup until you step on the brake or push the Test button on the Check Panel

The CEL will then flash if one of the system sensors finds a fault. CEL flash turns off after pushing the Check button

The coolant light came on when the coolant level sensor registered a fault. You could be marginally low on coolant or have an intermittent sensor

Ralph
Okay thats what I was beginning to think, I just wanted to be sure it wasn't a misfire or some sort of bad fault that would cause a flashing light on a newer car. Thank you