M30 overhaul or swap

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

bimmern00b

M30 overhaul or swap

Post by bimmern00b »

Hello,

I’ve got about 187,000 miles on the M30, couple of oil leaks and a mild overheating issue when idling. At this point I was hoping some of you fine gentlemen can give me guidance as far as what the better (most cost effective) choice would be.

Rebuilding and overhauling my current M30 or perhaps swapping with another engine? Couple of questions

If rebuilding - what should be the check list of what needs to be done? I’m looking just an overall solid and reliable vehicle. Will not be raced or tracked. Wouldn’t mind some slight improvements though. Also, as far as cost goes, what would I be looking at? I’ve gotten estimates from different shops ranging from 5k-15k.
I will not be doing any of the work myself. I’d like to take it to a good shop that works on older bmws and just get it done

If swapping - what’s a good choice? Cost? Besides engine, what else would I need?

Anyways, thank you for all the help!
86_6series
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: M30 overhaul or swap

Post by 86_6series »

I would rebuild instead of swapping. Fresh engine compared to a similar one with same HP and condition you already have
Good engine builders usually don't R&R the engine. You could find a shop to pull the engine,
have a builder to his thing and have the shop install. I would not have a general tech build an engine.
Hotter cam, custom pistons, headers etc, Skies your limit. Just make sure the ecu can handle or you'll
have to get a stand alone.

I did all the R&R.
I just had my B34 built, 160,000. Blew the head gasket @ the track.
Lucked out, was able to get Charley Olsen in Nyack NY to build it for me.
B35 Hartge head with 294 cam,B35 intake, SS valves,custom JE pistons,compression from 8:1 to 10:1,oil windage tray,
headers, custom exhaust catalyst delete, rocker locks, timing chain gears & guides, tension piston,
oil pump chain & gears, modified spray bar, safety wire banjos, powder coating the large stuff. I did the small stuff.
Lots of fabricating. Parts, labor, powder coating around $10,100.

Then onto the tuners.Apex in Clifton NJ.
Haltech elite stand alone,block drilled for microphones(to hear knocking), 100 lb injectors, fabricating to adapt harnesses,
high volume fuel pump, twin o2 sensors,idle adjust knob on dashboard, oil pressure fail safe, tuning.
182 hp to 262 hp, around 215 @ wheels. Parts & labor are you ready $11,000.

Turbo would have been a lot less with maybe 100 hp more. What can I say "Schmuck" Oh well,
I've owned it for 32 years and I'll pass it on to my daughter who does an occasional track day
then on to my grandson.

The one thing that makes me whistle a happy song is that it will blow the doors
off an M. Man this friggin" thing is fast.

So do your research and if you go for a little power you'll find yourself going down a dark hole.

As Bert will say these are NY & NJ prices.

Good luck
86-635CSi
96-MB C220 SOLD
98-740i
71-Continental MK3
bimmern00b

Post by bimmern00b »

86_6series wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:25 pm I would rebuild instead of swapping. Fresh engine compared to a similar one with same HP and condition you already have
Good engine builders usually don't R&R the engine. You could find a shop to pull the engine,
have a builder to his thing and have the shop install. I would not have a general tech build an engine.
Hotter cam, custom pistons, headers etc, Skies your limit. Just make sure the ecu can handle or you'll
have to get a stand alone.

I did all the R&R.
I just had my B34 built, 160,000. Blew the head gasket @ the track.
Lucked out, was able to get Charley Olsen in Nyack NY to build it for me.
B35 Hartge head with 294 cam,B35 intake, SS valves,custom JE pistons,compression from 8:1 to 10:1,oil windage tray,
headers, custom exhaust catalyst delete, rocker locks, timing chain gears & guides, tension piston,
oil pump chain & gears, modified spray bar, safety wire banjos, powder coating the large stuff. I did the small stuff.
Lots of fabricating. Parts, labor, powder coating around $10,100.

Then onto the tuners.Apex in Clifton NJ.
Haltech elite stand alone,block drilled for microphones(to hear knocking), 100 lb injectors, fabricating to adapt harnesses,
high volume fuel pump, twin o2 sensors,idle adjust knob on dashboard, oil pressure fail safe, tuning.
182 hp to 262 hp, around 215 @ wheels. Parts & labor are you ready $11,000.

Turbo would have been a lot less with maybe 100 hp more. What can I say "Schmuck" Oh well,
I've owned it for 32 years and I'll pass it on to my daughter who does an occasional track day
then on to my grandson.

The one thing that makes me whistle a happy song is that it will blow the doors
off an M. Man this friggin" thing is fast.

So do your research and if you go for a little power you'll find yourself going down a dark hole.

As Bert will say these are NY & NJ prices.

Good luck

Thank you for the info! I’m here in California so I’m thinking prices will be similar.
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

That's a shame Complete custom and modified engine rebuild only, by a premier shop in AZ, Cost me $3200 Maybe you should drive over here
Bob went all the way. I stayed with stock ECU and injection system, which may have to be upgraded to 1.3 and the builder figured another 40-50 hp which was enough for me
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.